Lets give credit where credit is due! (Vinny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBear*

I think hes really coming into his own now and watch out hes gonna break out soon merging into a superstar.

If it wasnt for his OT goal vs the czechs, we wouldnt be champs today.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
PapaBear said:
I think hes really coming into his own now and watch out hes gonna break out soon merging into a superstar.

He is a great player. But I am not sure if I agree with him being the MVp of the tournament.

Everbare

Apr 30, 2004
PapaBear said:

If it wasn't for Luongo we wouldn't be champs today....
If it wasn't for Doan we wouldn't be champs today...
If it wasn't for (insert any Canadian Player Here) we wouldn't be champs today...

It takes a team to win a championship like this. Sure Vinny played extremely well, but I don't think that none of the other Canadians wouldn't have scored the OT winner if Vinny hadn't.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
my mvp too.

that said, joe sakic certainly deserved it too, and brodeur WOULD have won it had he not been hurt for that one game. his numbers were absolutely sick coming into the final.

Oceanic39*

I think there were more that deserved it off the Canadian roster than those that probably didn't deserve it. When's the last time you could say that about a Championship team? They're usually led by only a few and some complimentary players.

True team effort.

I can't think of anyone who didn't contribute.

Burnaby_Joe*

After watching the World Cup, I have so much respect for Vinny. He played awesome. :yo:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
aj said:
Not bad for a guy who was originally left off the team. :yo:
Yes, and I think that's the point of the original poster.Sure Canada had a TEAM,where
everyone contributed,Vinny certainly wasn't the only one,but he certainly played
great in the tournament showing both his finesse and his physical play.He deserves
more respect.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
I think he was chosen as MVP because

he wasn't originally on the list and played well
his OT goal

I'd still give the MVP nod to Brodeur though.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
He sure played well but wasn't the MVP IMO. Usually, the MVP of a tournament actually shows up for the Final. Lecavalier got it based on his OT goal and his point total. IMO, they should have given it someone that showed up every game. Lecavalier would get 2-3 pts in one game then do nothing for two games.

Sakic or Brodeur IMO.

Maria

Sep 15, 2004
Hello,im a newby around here,i think Vinny deserved to be the mvp,he played awesome,and proved a lot of peolpe wrong,for a guy that wasn't even supposed to be on the team,he did showed up every game,even without a goal,he still was a physical force,iginla on the other hand,the first games he didn't showed up!!! :shakehead

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
It will certainly be interesting to see where Lecavalier goes next season (whenever that rolls around). I think it's time for him to step up and finish in the top 10 in scoring. He certainly got all the tools and now he's even developed a solid work ethic and a physical game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he definatly deserved MVP, he was the best player on the winning team. He was clutch and led the team in scoring. He scored the biggest goal while leading the team in shots. Plus he was physical.

Oceanic39*

Garfield said:
He sure played well but wasn't the MVP IMO. Usually, the MVP of a tournament actually shows up for the Final. Lecavalier got it based on his OT goal and his point total. IMO, they should have given it someone that showed up every game. Lecavalier would get 2-3 pts in one game then do nothing for two games.

Sakic or Brodeur IMO.

There were only two games in which he didn't register a point. Against Russia, in which he was named Canada's player of the game in the post-game lineups, and in the Finals. I'm not sure "didn't show up" is correct for the finals, because you can only show up when you're on the ice. This isn't a shot at Quinn by any means, but like vs. CZE, he went with 3 lines down the stretch. The Richards-STL-Gagne line got nothing vs. CZE late and vs. Finland the Vinny-Smyth-Heatley line was on the bench most of the game in place of the Thornton line - used to match-up vs. the Koivu line. This was the only game in which Quinn made full use of a match-up line and one of the four lines had to suffer.

I don't think the Vinny line played themselves onto the bench. When he was out there, he was hitting.

Now, if you want to talk about not showing up consistently, we could talk about Iginla (because aside from when the 2nd Slovakia game was already out of hand, he was invisible - unless you count whiffed scoring chances and getting pushed off the puck by Timonen.. was Iginla hurt?) or Heatley or St. Louis (aside from the first two games), but hey, we won. No use complaining and making biases known, right?

Sakic would have been a great choice. So would Thornton. Or Doan. Or Brewer. If not for the injury and missing a game, it would have been Brodeur.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Oceanic39 said:
Now, if you want to talk about not showing up consistently, we could talk about Iginla (because aside from when the 2nd Slovakia game was already out of hand, he was invisible - unless you count whiffed scoring chances and getting pushed off the puck by Timonen.. was Iginla hurt?) or Heatley or St. Louis (aside from the first two games), but hey, we won. No use complaining and making biases known, right?

:dunno:

Why are you talking about Iginla, St. Louis & Heatley ?? They didn't win the MVP and nobody said they should. We are talking about Lecavalier, whether he should have received MVP or not. Of course he played better than those other guys, but they weren't considered for MVP.

I think you are defending Lecavalier for no reason here. Many people feel he did not deserve MVP, not just me. Sakic, Brodeur & possibly Thornton were all more valuable to Canada than Lecavalier IMO. What does this have to do with biases ?? Just because I'm a Flames fan, I have to agree with Vinny winning it or else I'm biased. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
highstickingyerface said:
Jose Theodore, Kirk Maltby and Patrick Marleau come to mind

Morrow also comes to mind. He played a game but didn't do anything noticeable other than miss the net by 5 feet from in close after breezing by a 50 yr old Chelios.

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
PapaBear said:

Vinny,Vinnie,VINNIE!! :yo:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Garfield said:
:dunno:

Why are you talking about Iginla, St. Louis & Heatley ?? They didn't win the MVP and nobody said they should. We are talking about Lecavalier, whether he should have received MVP or not. Of course he played better than those other guys, but they weren't considered for MVP.

I think you are defending Lecavalier for no reason here. Many people feel he did not deserve MVP, not just me. Sakic, Brodeur & possibly Thornton were all more valuable to Canada than Lecavalier IMO. What does this have to do with biases ?? Just because I'm a Flames fan, I have to agree with Vinny winning it or else I'm biased. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

I'd give the award to Lecavalier.

As great as Brodeur played, we still could have won with Luongo in, and for that reason I find Brodeur slightly less MVP calibre this time.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
GregStack said:
I'd give the award to Lecavalier.

As great as Brodeur played, we still could have won with Luongo in, and for that reason I find Brodeur slightly less MVP calibre this time.

That's fine. I have no problem with anyone that feels Lecavalier should have won the award. I do have a problem with someone accusing me of being biased just because I don't feel he should have won the award.

By the way, I don't think we can say that we would have won with Luongo. Brodeur made some HUGE saves in that game that quite frankly, I don't think Luongo would have made.

But then I'm probably just biased because Luongo plays in the same state as the Tampa Bay Lightning. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->