Proposal: Let's Get Matt Hendricks Into the ASG

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
yeah. it would be like waving a big sign that says you actually suck but we voted you in as a big joke and/or out of pity.

it also wouldn't be well deserved. how is voting a plug to the all star game well deserved? there's hundreds of hard working players with good stories.
what makes this one so special to be deserving of all star status?

now if you'll excuse me, I have to make a Santa suit and go visit Whoville.

Dear Mr Grinch,

John Scott <> Matt Hendricks.

If I voted for Hendricks, it wouldn't be to make fun of him or because I pity him. If others would (or wouldn't) for those reasons, that's too bad. If there are "hundreds of hard working players with good stories" that touch people, they SHOULD vote for their favorite when given the opportunity. No? Who else would you vote for?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Dear Mr Grinch,

John Scott <> Matt Hendricks.

If I voted for Hendricks, it wouldn't be to make fun of him or because I pity him. If others would (or wouldn't) for those reasons, that's too bad. If there are "hundreds of hard working players with good stories" that touch people, they SHOULD vote for their favorite when given the opportunity. No? Who else would you vote for?

how about the player who is having an awesome year who deserves to be there, and doesn't get to go because of a "kudatah" to get some plug in the game.

your feel good story is ruining someone else's story.

let's compromise. ditch fan voting, and have a spot on each team like the did in the 80's. I don't remember the exact wording, but a spot was left on the team for each conference and management could make a selection of a grizzled vet who deserves recognition.

you get your wish as an unsung hero gets to play, I am ok because professional hockey management makes the call and not people spam voting.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
your feel good story is ruining someone else's story.

Many players turn down this event. Why not honor players who would show up, and who would play their hearts out like they do the other 82 nights of the season?

Honestly, the blasé manner in which many of the league's stars treat "All Star Weekend" should be incentive enough for fans to vote in those players that actually care.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Many players turn down this event. Why not honor players who would show up, and who would play their hearts out like they do the other 82 nights of the season?

Honestly, the blasé manner in which many of the league's stars treat "All Star Weekend" should be incentive enough for fans to vote in those players that actually care.

Then there would be no point in calling it the all-star game.

The whole idea is to get the best players in the league relative to their teams together in one place so the league can attempt to market its best players showing off their skills.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Then there would be no point in calling it the all-star game.

The whole idea is to get the best players in the league relative to their teams together in one place so the league can attempt to market its best players showing off their skills.
While i tend to agree with the overall point, lot's of championships would've not happend without "all-star" leadership/grit/thoughness, at least that's what i believe in. So having more players at the ASG who are fan favorites (like Hendricks) and/or non Top6 guys is something that should be discussed, imo.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
no one should ever pay a ticket to go to an allstar game and then have to look at their program and say who the hell is matt hendricks?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
While i tend to agree with the overall point, lot's of championchips would've not happend without "all-star" leadership/grit/thoughness, at least that's what i believe in. So having more players at the ASG who are fan favorites (like Hendricks) and/or non Top6 guys is something that should be discussed, imo.

Mmm Championchips!!

latest

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
no one should ever pay a ticket to go to an allstar game and then have to look at their program and say who the hell is matt hendricks?

Why would American fans in an American market (where the game is this year) wonder who the American Captain of the American WHC team is? If they're not enough of a hockey fan to watch the World Championships, they probably wouldn't know who the 10th/11th skater on each of the mini-tournament teams is anyway.

Again, this isn't a John Scott who got into the lineup only to serve a specific role; Hendricks has been around the league quite some time and even served on the international stage. He's not a nobody.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Why would American fans in an American market (where the game is this year) wonder who the American Captain of the American WHC team is? If they're not enough of a hockey fan to watch the World Championships, they probably wouldn't know who the 10th/11th skater on each of the mini-tournament teams is anyway.

Again, this isn't a John Scott who got into the lineup only to serve a specific role; Hendricks has been around the league quite some time and even served on the international stage. He's not a nobody.

He's not an all-star, either.

The ASG is already a gimmicky, desperate affair. Let's not torture it further by stuffing sentimental bottom-sixers into the mix.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
While i tend to agree with the overall point, lot's of championships would've not happend without "all-star" leadership/grit/thoughness, at least that's what i believe in. So having more players at the ASG who are fan favorites (like Hendricks) and/or non Top6 guys is something that should be discussed, imo.

I have nothing against character guys getting into the all-star because a team chooses to honor that player for their loyalty/legacy. Its one thing if the guys who have first crack like Drasaitl, McDavid and co turn it down and nominate said teammate to go, its another to try to repeat what happened with John Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->