Proposal: Let's Get Matt Hendricks Into the ASG

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
With the NHL's recent change to the rules regarding roster status and ASG eligibility, it would seem a John Scott sort of scenario is impossible for the 2016-17 season and beyond.

However, regardless of what you felt about last year's push to elect the eventual All-Star MVP, there are still numerous players around the league who deserve recognition as underdogs, leaders and all-around unappreciated talents. They, too, have a place at fan events like the All-Star Game/Tournament, and deserve recognition as much as any flashy offensive talent.

Matt Hendricks is one of those unsung heroes, and I believe his time has come.

The Story

VGYsYy3.jpg

Beginning as a teenager when he was not only captain of his high school hockey club but also quarterback of the football team and an all-star catcher in baseball, Matt Hendricks has consistently been a leader everywhere he's played.

An NCAA grad who fought to go from the ECHL to the best league in the world, Hendricks went unsigned after being a 3rd round draft choice and didn't make the NHL full-time until he was already 28 years old. He stuck with the game of hockey- not because it was making him rich, not because he was a superstar; no, Hendricks simply loved the sport, and preserved over numerous injuries, trades and changes in role to become an indispensable if not especially glamorous NHL player.

Over his career, Hendricks has sacrificed his body innumerable times- even when games are out of reach, as we've seen happen multiple times during his tenure in Edmonton. I mean, who can forget this photo?

mMOGV4A.jpg

All throughout, Hendricks has never given less than a complete effort, and spent as much time mentoring up-and-coming stars as he has stifling those on other teams.

The Man

DSC_9630_Standard.jpg

However, lest one think this is another John Scott gimmick, keep in mind that Hendricks' tremendous character and leadership qualities were a large part of the reason why he not only made Team USA at the 2015 World Championships but served as their captain. He was again Captain of the 2016 squad, helping the team to another Bronze Medal Game appearance. Clearly, we would not be alone as a fanbase in recognizing what he means to not only his team but his teammates.

In fact, during his career, Hendricks has drawn the sort of praise usually only reserved for stars:

Todd Richards said:
"There is reason why Matt is wearing the 'C'. There is a reason why we asked him to be captain of this team.

A lot of time the identity of the team takes on the personality of your leader or leaders. The way that we work, the way we play, the desperation we have, our shot-blocking… You could use the same adjectives to describe our team as to describe his game."

Torey Krug said:
"He's one of the guys who has the most pride in putting on this USA jersey," Krug said. "He is not taking this opportunity for granted. He's playing fast, and playing hard. The penalties he takes are for solid bodychecks that wouldn't be called in North America. They bring energy to our team."

That same dedication is apparent in how Hendricks has approached his Oilers career. When asked whether he would consider a trade deadline move to a contender last season, he had this to say:

Matt Hendricks said:
"My heart’s here and I want to stay and help turn this around. I’ve put a lot of sweat and tears … blood, sweat and tears into this locker room, trying to help change (the culture). I take pride in the growth that’s been shown"

Clearly, this is someone who not only loves his country, but his team- no matter who he plays for or what jersey he wears.

The Causes

3TEPZxW.jpg

Beyond the ice, Hendricks is active not only in the local community but across the hockey world as a whole; he serves as an Ambassador and member of the Board of Directors for the United Heroes League, helping to raise over $3 million dollars in equipment, tickets, grants, and summer camps for the children of military members across the US and Canada. In Nashville and Washington, Hendricks ran "Hendy's Heroes", an off-shoot of the UHL that helped military families attend games for free.

But not content to help servicemen and women just in North America, Hendricks went overseas trip during the 2012-13 NHL lockout to entertain the troops in like Afghanistan, Bahrain, the Middle East and Germany.

For his efforts, Hendricks has been a Masterton nominee; however, he is far more deserving of recognition- leading to...

The Vote

While we don't have to worry about Connor McDavid earning a spot at the ASG, Hendricks will not get into the event without our help. This is an opportunity to reward a man who has worked sacrificed his body and time in every market he's played to make a difference not only on the ice but off it. I can't think of a better choice to represent the spirit of not only our province but our city.

If you agree, simply use your ten ballots each day to write Hendricks in at the below link:

https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot

Let's get Matt Hendricks into the All-Star Game and show him what our team- and our sport- is all about!

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
no thanks, let Hendricks enjoy his all star break with his kids and wife.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I'm more interested in seeing our team's best player go rather than another joke selection/pity vote like John Scott.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It was fun the first time. More than that not so much. Let's just let it be an all-star game and that way we can continue to not care about it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
While Matty Ice is one of best guys in the NHL I think we had our fun with John Scott last year. Plus every teams fan base will be nominating there heart and soul guy

Some people I could get behind to go to the ASG are guys like Iggy/Jagr > last of the legends for that era. I think Jagr would fully embrace it and love it. Plus hes a great player

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Yeah, I don't enjoy adding to the mockery that is the All-Star weekend lol.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I would rather we get him out of our own lineup. Him and Pouliot coming in have killed the momentum. Get Pitlick back in there.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
While Matty Ice is one of best guys in the NHL I think we had our fun with John Scott last year. Plus every teams fan base will be nominating there heart and soul guy

Some people I could get behind to go to the ASG are guys like Iggy/Jagr > last of the legends for that era. I think Jagr would fully embrace it and love it. Plus hes a great player

That's a great idea.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pitlick or after tonight Letestu would be better candidates if the object was to get someone random into all star team

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
No thanks. Don't need to embarrass players like that by bringing them in as the new token low-skilled-but-big-heart player. Trying to recreate what happened last year will just take the focus away from the all star weekend.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
No thanks. Don't need to embarrass players like that by bringing them in as the new token low-skilled-but-big-heart player. Trying to recreate what happened last year will just take the focus away from the all star weekend.

yeah. bad idea. can't support.
instead let's vote in a bunch of flames so they don't get any time off, and maybe get bonuses that help screw up their cap situation.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I don't think Hendricks would go even if he came 1st in voting in the entire league. I dont think Scott was going to go last year either, but then the Coyotes/NHL started trolling on him, so he went as a way to join the fanbase in telling the league to go **** itself

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton

Jagr begged the fans last year not to elect him. Said the 3-on-3 would kill him :laugh:

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Even last year when Scott made it I was not a fan. Was a great story for him but then deserving players (OEL) dont get to go.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
With the NHL's recent change to the rules regarding roster status and ASG eligibility, it would seem a John Scott sort of scenario is impossible for the 2016-17 season and beyond.

However, regardless of what you felt about last year's push to elect the eventual All-Star MVP, there are still numerous players around the league who deserve recognition as underdogs, leaders and all-around unappreciated talents. They, too, have a place at fan events like the All-Star Game/Tournament, and deserve recognition as much as any flashy offensive talent.

Matt Hendricks is one of those unsung heroes, and I believe his time has come.

The Story

VGYsYy3.jpg

Beginning as a teenager when he was not only captain of his high school hockey club but also quarterback of the football team and an all-star catcher in baseball, Matt Hendricks has consistently been a leader everywhere he's played.

An NCAA grad who fought to go from the ECHL to the best league in the world, Hendricks went unsigned after being a 3rd round draft choice and didn't make the NHL full-time until he was already 28 years old. He stuck with the game of hockey- not because it was making him rich, not because he was a superstar; no, Hendricks simply loved the sport, and preserved over numerous injuries, trades and changes in role to become an indispensable if not especially glamorous NHL player.

Over his career, Hendricks has sacrificed his body innumerable times- even when games are out of reach, as we've seen happen multiple times during his tenure in Edmonton. I mean, who can forget this photo?

mMOGV4A.jpg

All throughout, Hendricks has never given less than a complete effort, and spent as much time mentoring up-and-coming stars as he has stifling those on other teams.

The Man

DSC_9630_Standard.jpg

However, lest one think this is another John Scott gimmick, keep in mind that Hendricks' tremendous character and leadership qualities were a large part of the reason why he not only made Team USA at the 2015 World Championships but served as their captain. He was again Captain of the 2016 squad, helping the team to another Bronze Medal Game appearance. Clearly, we would not be alone as a fanbase in recognizing what he means to not only his team but his teammates.

In fact, during his career, Hendricks has drawn the sort of praise usually only reserved for stars:

That same dedication is apparent in how Hendricks has approached his Oilers career. When asked whether he would consider a trade deadline move to a contender last season, he had this to say:

Clearly, this is someone who not only loves his country, but his team- no matter who he plays for or what jersey he wears.

The Causes

3TEPZxW.jpg

Beyond the ice, Hendricks is active not only in the local community but across the hockey world as a whole; he serves as an Ambassador and member of the Board of Directors for the United Heroes League, helping to raise over $3 million dollars in equipment, tickets, grants, and summer camps for the children of military members across the US and Canada. In Nashville and Washington, Hendricks ran "Hendy's Heroes", an off-shoot of the UHL that helped military families attend games for free.

But not content to help servicemen and women just in North America, Hendricks went overseas trip during the 2012-13 NHL lockout to entertain the troops in like Afghanistan, Bahrain, the Middle East and Germany.

For his efforts, Hendricks has been a Masterton nominee; however, he is far more deserving of recognition- leading to...

The Vote

While we don't have to worry about Connor McDavid earning a spot at the ASG, Hendricks will not get into the event without our help. This is an opportunity to reward a man who has worked sacrificed his body and time in every market he's played to make a difference not only on the ice but off it. I can't think of a better choice to represent the spirit of not only our province but our city.

If you agree, simply use your ten ballots each day to write Hendricks in at the below link:

https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot

Let's get Matt Hendricks into the All-Star Game and show him what our team- and our sport- is all about!

Nice write-up and great case 'for' dude. I agree it would be a wonderful and well-deserved gesture to him.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Nice write-up and great case 'for' dude. I agree it would be a wonderful and well-deserved gesture to him.

yeah. it would be like waving a big sign that says you actually suck but we voted you in as a big joke and/or out of pity.

it also wouldn't be well deserved. how is voting a plug to the all star game well deserved? there's hundreds of hard working players with good stories.
what makes this one so special to be deserving of all star status?

now if you'll excuse me, I have to make a Santa suit and go visit Whoville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad