Let's all get behind Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Seems he is taking some heat for hunting pics he posted on his twitter. I've always been of the opinion that if you follow someone, you do so because you like the person. If that stops being the case, unfollow. This becoming a media story is stupid. Whether you hunt or not, it is legal and his right. Perhaps the photo is a tad insensitive due to recent events (if you're looking for that) but c'mon. He was born and raised to hunt. It's his culture.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-...diens_carey_price_hunting_coyote_gun_twitter/

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
One of the big problems with social media like Twitter is that it gives anyone a voice. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to please everyone and being a celebrity Price is going to be subject to that.

Honestly I doubt he cares what people think and he isn't doing anything wrong or illegal. The fact that Sportsnet would even write a piece about this is what bothers me. I guess that just shows that without NHL hockey to talk about, the Canadian sports media is pretty low on stories.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
If Price cares what people think, unfortunately he needs to blame himself.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that people love animals, and killing animals, despite his rationalizations and justifications, is going to hit a sensitive cord in many.

Also in light of all the news in the states, GUNS are not something you want to be holding as you pose for a picture, if indeed ones goal is to make friends and stay out of debate.

I'm not denouncing what he did, but I do think it shows a bit of immaturity - especially if he is dumbfounded by the social response.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
One of the big problems with social media like Twitter is that it gives anyone a voice. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to please everyone and being a celebrity Price is going to be subject to that.

Honestly I doubt he cares what people think and he isn't doing anything wrong or illegal. The fact that Sportsnet would even write a piece about this is what bothers me. I guess that just shows that without NHL hockey to talk about, the Canadian sports media is pretty low on stories.

David Booth took some heat for posting a pic with a bear. If Price does that, they should unfurl it in front of the Bell Centre every time Boston comes into town.

BTW, coyotes are nasty little buggers. They can all FOAD. They've been coming into the city here.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If Price cares what people think, unfortunately he needs to blame himself.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that people love animals, and killing animals, despite his rationalizations and justifications, is going to hit a sensitive cord in many.

Also in light of all the news in the states, GUNS are not something you want to be holding as you pose for a picture, if indeed ones goal is to make friends and stay out of debate.

I'm not denouncing what he did, but I do think it shows a bit of immaturity - especially if he is dumbfounded by the social response.

People should follow him because of who he is. He rides horses, stops pucks and shoots animals. His twitter is for people that want to see that. If they don't, they can unfollow. No one is forcing them to see.
I do agree that if he is concerned about his "image" to people who don't care about him as anything other than a marketing tool, that he should be more careful.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
David Booth took some heat for posting a pic with a bear. If Price does that, they should unfurl it in front of the Bell Centre every time Boston comes into town.

BTW, coyotes are nasty little buggers. They can all FOAD. They've been coming into the city here.

We had a few coyote sightings in Montreal too earlier this year (lurking around a bicycle path of all places)

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
carey price

@CP0031

Coyote hunting is a necessity on order to maintain population. Too many coyotes = fewer game animals = no meat for my family.

That should be the end of the thread, right there, yet it isn't.

Why? Oh because some people were tragically shot and killed by gunman recently. On the same day, 22 children were stabbed at a school in China -- so, let's ban knives!

I am old enough to remember when the world wasn't filled with these politically correct morons and when people weren't over-sensitive, whiny little *****es. Firearms are not the issue; people are. Take away guns, and people get stabbed, straggled, set on fire... because some people are not right in the head. This is neither new nor is it going to change.

People committed murder long before guns were invented.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
People should follow him because of who he is. He rides horses, stops pucks and shoots animals. His twitter is for people that want to see that. If they don't, they can unfollow. No one is forcing them to see.
I do agree that if he is concerned about his "image" to people who don't care about him as anything other than a marketing tool, that he should be more careful.

Bull. People are following him because he is the starting goalie - not because of ''who he is'', or his hobbies, or what he stands for. He could be interested in drag racing, or poll dancing, they'd still be following him.

He needs to understand that GUNS and KILLING ANIMALS are going to strike a sensitive cord with people.

IMO, quite immature on his part - there are more important subject matters in the world to invite criticism and confrontation over.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Bull. People are following him because he is the starting goalie - not because of ''who he is'', or his hobbies, or what he stands for. He could be interested in drag racing, or poll dancing, they'd still be following him.

He needs to understand that GUNS and KILLING ANIMALS are going to strike a sensitive cord with people.

IMO, quite immature on his part - there are more important subject matters in the world to invite criticism and confrontation over.

Why? People love animals as you stated in your first post, which is very true, but many people like eating those animals also.

He is a Native, on his reserve, shooting a threat to his family and their way of life. I see nothing wrong with that. I am glad that he posts photographs of what he does with his life, because he is sharing who he is with people that want to know.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm definitely not a fan of killing animals you're not going to eat but I'm not going to jump down his throat because of it either.

The photo could have been a little more classy though.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

I said "should" follow him for who he is. He probably does understand that hose pics would be taken the wrong way by some. I doubt he cares that they did. They weren't meant for them. It's his twitter, no one need follow.

I bet we will hear some kind of half hearted apology in the near future and then he will drop out of twitter. He will still hunt and do the things he does, but no one will see it. Not sure what that would accomplish.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm definitely not a fan of killing animals you're not going to eat but I'm not going to jump down his throat because of it either.

The photo could have been a little more classy though.

I grew up with a hunter. My dad hunted everything from ducks to moose. He was proud of every kill and nothing got wasted. I've never shot an animal myself but I understand and respect the process. Now it's one of the few memories I have left of doing things with my dad. Great bonding experience.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I grew up with a hunter. My dad hunted everything from ducks to moose. He was proud of every kill and nothing got wasted. I've never shot an animal myself but I understand and respect the process. Now it's one of the few memories I have left of doing things with my dad. Great bonding experience.
Like I said, if you're hunting to eat the food I'm a fan of that cause I love meat, lol. I just don't like needless killing. I even hate killing insects (unless in self defense from mosquitoes!!) lol.

Like I said though, I'm not going to to chirp Price for it - I understand it happens, but I'm definitely not a fan of it.

As for the picture - I think anyone can admit that he could have done something to make it a little more classy - I know I would if I was a public figure.

But again, that's his choice since it's his life and I have no reason to judge him.

There are a lot of people who will be upset because they've got more from animals in their life than they have from humans in their lives. And again, if you're a public figure, and if you do anything that's even somewhat "over the line", people are going to flip. Especially with the recent shootings.

Let's be honest here - people overreact at things that are completely ridiculous these days. So when something that's generally not accepted outside of a small community, it's going to get ripped apart.

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
People need to get a life. As long it`s legal and he eats what he kills whatever.
However, that big ass sniper rifle (or something like that) was an overkill.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
People need to get a life. As long it`s legal and he eats what he kills whatever.
However, that big ass sniper rifle (or something like that) was an overkill.
I don't think he wasn't eating it. It was to protect the "game meat" from getting eaten by coyotes.

pine*

Classless.

You don't see Halak going around wavering dead animals and guns.

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
I don't think he wasn't eating it. It was to protect the "game meat" from getting eaten by coyotes.

I meant the birds earlier, not the dog (if I`m understanding your sentence right, one too many negations?). Are coyotes even edible?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

So he just shoots coyotes for ***** n giggles. Same as culling seals. I'm ok with it whether he eats his kill or not. Government says their population is too high to ensure that their prey's population thrives. Kill away I say

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Twitter hate directed at Price is simply the noise of urban latte sippers whose idea of hunting is nabbing a pack of deboned deskinned organic grain fed chicken at Metro.

It's part of the big divide in Canada , it's in our politics and it's in our attitudes- Urban versus Rural culture.

It's a huge problem and getting larger.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

As far as I'm concerned there's two ways to justify hunting - if you are going to eat what you kill or if it's in some part of thinning out overpopulation like this. Because as far as I know coyote meat tastes disgusting.

I've had this debate before with my parents, suburban animal lovers who think I'm a monster because I want to go hunting. Price has grown up in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by farmer types and first nations, including those in his family. I trust him to respect wildlife far more than city people judging him for this. Environmentalist anger should be directed toward oil companies and the government.

I'm surprised Tootoo didn't get into far more trouble when he posted pictures of whale meat caught when he was up north. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad