Let the Thomas Pock Sweepstakes begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The Austrian said:

http://www.uvm.edu/news/?Page=News&storyID=4400

Pock figured in seven of UMass’ eight goals, scoring twice and adding five assists. Pock, who was not drafted, will be a free agent once his UMass career is over, and there will be quite a bidding war for his services. There were more than a dozen NHL scouts at the tournament Sunday, and you can bet they all were taking notes on the Austrian native.

From that source it sounds like Pock will definitely be a free agent, not sure about the RedLine article Pete brought up in the closed Thomas Pock thread. BTW why was that thread closed for?

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Washington signed him..Think about it, the chance to step right into the NHL and be a top 4 guy on a young team that will allow him to grow. Is there any situation in the NHL comparable to the chance he'd have in Washington besides the Penguins..however I think Washington would be more appealing because the Pens are loaded with younger defensive prospects that all have good shots to be pro's.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
PrussianBlue said:
St. Louis has signed lots of FA's out of college (Sejna, Mark Rycroft and Mike Stuart, to name but three), and Jarmo Kekalainen seems well-tuned-in to the lesser-known European player.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues take a flyer on this guy... especially since they got beaten to the punch on Yann Danis. :rant:

Ah, well... Sean Fields is still out there.

PrussianBlue

Van Ryn was also an free agent pickup with collegiate ties.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Pock is a converted Center. He started his collegiate as a center (this according to the UMass website). He was converted to defense mainly because the Minutemen needed a defenseman who can bring up the puck and join the rush. Pock also could use the work on the defensive side of things, so Coach Cahoon moved him to defense. It took him a while to adjust but he's made the transition quite nicely. Pock is definitely an offensive defenseman, who is just an exceptional skater. His defensive side is good but he could be better.

As for the comparision to Ryan Whitney as far as being better/worse defensively, well Whitney has always been a defenseman, so I'd give the nod to Whitney for that very reason. Also, Whitney is alot more physical than Pock is.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Austrian prospects haven't had much luck in NA so far. From Martin Hohenberger to Andre Lakos, Gregor Baumgartner and Matthias Trattnig. The closest was Lakos, but a few good AHL-seasons weren't enough. I hope the new group of Vanek, Setzinger, Brückler and perhapes Pöck turns this around. I think they all have the tools to play at the NHL level, if they really do it will depend on their character and their heart...

turnbuckle*

According to a poster at habfans.com, The Team 990 in Montreal reported around 6 p.m. that the Habs have signed Pock. I have yet to find any confirmation of this however. RDS has not been reporting it as of yet.

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
According to a poster at habfans.com, The Team 990 in Montreal reported around 6 p.m. that the Habs have signed Pock. I have yet to find any confirmation of this however. RDS has not been reporting it as of yet.

I was listening to the show when it was mentioned in passing. But it was weird because it was brought up not by the host of the show, but a guest that they were interviewing. He was a NCAA basketball coach (from Montreal incidentally) who was talking about March Madness. The host asked him what he thought about the Habs signing without mentioning Danis' name...... and the guy went crazy about Pock (catching the hosts understandably off guard). I also went around looking for any confirmation of this and can't find it anywhere. I guess that this is a case of 1 overzealous fan.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
J F M said:
I was listening to the show when it was mentioned in passing. But it was weird because it was brought up not by the host of the show, but a guest that they were interviewing. He was a NCAA basketball coach (from Montreal incidentally) who was talking about March Madness. The host asked him what he thought about the Habs signing without mentioning Danis' name...... and the guy went crazy about Pock (catching the hosts understandably off guard). I also went around looking for any confirmation of this and can't find it anywhere. I guess that this is a case of 1 overzealous fan.

Maybe the guest got confused and talked about Pock when he was asked about Danis? I didn't hear the interview so I'm just guessing.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Crossbar said:
I'm sure there are, Florida and Atlanta for starters.

These pairings I'm posting are not actual depth or pairing just to show whos on the roster.

Washington's top 6 as of now has 1 NHL player..and 1 player who could end up being a decent 3rd pairing guy in the future(Berry).
Witt - Boumedienne
Doig - Kwiatkowski
Berry - Norton
(Rohloff)

Flordia is MUCH better off than Washington
Bouwmeester - Biron
Lilja - Mezei
Van Ryn - Trnka
(Odelein)

Atlanta is much better than Washington as well.
Exelby - Majesky
Sutton - Kloucek
Kaberle - Tjarnqvist

That's in the present.. Now lets look down the road and see potential.

Washington:
Eminger - Potential top 2 solid guy
Morrisonn - See above
Yonkman - Potential top 4 brusier who opponents fear..however he's injured every 5 seconds..chances are he never becomes what he was supposed to.
Cutta - He stoped developing in my opinion..sometimes he shows signs of a #4 then sometimes he looks like a career ahl player. Out of all our D prospects those are the only 4 I see playing in the NHL on a regular basis.

Flordia:
Bouwmeester - Jesus on skates one day
Krajicek - Potential top 2 guy
Novak - A #3 guy on this tem in the future probably could be a #2 on mos other teams.
Kudroc - Game changer..when he throws his body he can really wreck the place. #4 guy.

Atlanta:
Couburn - Pronger
Exelby - Stevens
Kloucek - Gonna be awesome
Slew of 3-5 guys(imo).. (Nikulin, Oystrick, Foster)

Washington looks a lot weaker than these teams present and in the future Pock has a chance to be top 3 on only 1 of those depth charts..Washington

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Also remember that Washington would have seen him a lot since they drafted Stephen Werner out of UMASS. Not that that means anything, but they certainly have seen him play a number of times.

db23

J F M said:

Sounds like the basketball guy assumed the Habs had signed Pock rather than Danis, or thinks they should sign Pock. Either way, it does not sound like they have signed him at all, and this thread should be put to rest.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
db23 said:
Sounds like the basketball guy assumed the Habs had signed Pock rather than Danis, or thinks they should sign Pock. Either way, it does not sound like they have signed him at all, and this thread should be put to rest.

Ummm...if the Habs have yet to sign him, or anyone has yet to sign him for that matter, why should this thread be put to rest? It is a thread about a prospect, who many teams are interested in.
At any rate, it should stay open.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

PrussianBlue said:
St. Louis has signed lots of FA's out of college (Sejna, Mark Rycroft and Mike Stuart, to name but three), and Jarmo Kekalainen seems well-tuned-in to the lesser-known European player.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues take a flyer on this guy... especially since they got beaten to the punch on Yann Danis. :rant:

Ah, well... Sean Fields is still out there.

PrussianBlue

prussian blue, mike was drafted by nashville, but never offered a contract.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for replying to your post. You really set your mind at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad