Let the Thomas Pock Sweepstakes begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So does he project to be a forward at the NHL level? I know he's converted to defense, but I hear his play in his own zone isn't too hot.

Think he'll get Sejna-type interest?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
So does he project to be a forward at the NHL level? I know he's converted to defense, but I hear his play in his own zone isn't too hot.

Think he'll get Sejna-type interest?

From what I've been reading he's been one of the undrafted, soon-to-be players that has garnered alot of interest from various NHL teams. Which ones, I couldn't tell you because I don't know exactly.

Whether he gets switched back to forward or not, will be at the discretion of whoever signs him and whatever they want to do with him. His defense isn't too bad. It's not excellent, but he's not a major defensive liability (at least at the collegiate level from what I've seen) either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
But, as a blueliner, he's definitely an offensive-minded guy, right?

Just looking it up, I'm surprised at how young he is. I figured he was a 78 or 79 birthday.

st_roland

I am praying to the hockey gods that Leonsis gets that kid. We need talent on the blueline so fricken bad.

DR. Holiday

He should be an interesting free agent pick up for some team.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Oilers Chick said:
From what I've been reading he's been one of the undrafted, soon-to-be players that has garnered alot of interest from various NHL teams. Which ones, I couldn't tell you because I don't know exactly.

Whether he gets switched back to forward or not, will be at the discretion of whoever signs him and whatever they want to do with him. His defense isn't too bad. It's not excellent, but he's not a major defensive liability (at least at the collegiate level from what I've seen) either.

Oilers chick...Is his defensive play better, worse or equal to that of Whitney's? Just curious as to what your opinion on that is.
How has Welch looked recently?

One of my friends was going out with a guy on Pock's team. When I was talking to him (around a year and a half ago) he was RAVING about this kid. Said he would be in the NHL some day. At the time, I had never heard of him, and after hearing how old he was, I thought he was crazy for thinking that. However, he played with him and it looks like he may turn out to be right.
I would like the Pens to give him a shot, but seeing the type of interest he will surely garner, and with the amount of defensmen in thier prospect stable, it seems highly unlikely that they will shell out the cash that should be required to take him.

I wish him luck.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Coyotes have splashed out before (McLeod) and have finances in place to make some FA signings. Considering how young their defense is and that they just acquired Ballard, signing Pock doesnt seem very likely though :(

I'd peg a playoff team like Detroit to get him. Big-name, successful team with an older defense.

Safir*

In the other thread somebody has said that the Devils and the Islanders were the frontrunners in the sweepstakes. Heck, if the Devs sign him they might throw him into there lineup right away.

Before switching to defense was Pöck a winger or a center?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Stevex said:
Coyotes have splashed out before (McLeod) and have finances in place to make some FA signings. Considering how young their defense is and that they just acquired Ballard, signing Pock doesnt seem very likely though :(

I'd peg a playoff team like Detroit to get him. Big-name, successful team with an older defense.

Phoenix's defence is going to be AWESOME 2-3 years down the road. Especially if Ference pulls his head out of his butt and starts living up to all that huge promise he once had.
Mara, Tanabe and Morris, with Ballard on the way....yeesh! I still think they screwed up with trading Vaananen, as they have plenty of offensive types in thier blueline, but you cant argue with the huge talent and upside that blueline may soon have.

capsfandan

Feb 28, 2004
Mount Airy, Maryland
st_roland said:
I am praying to the hockey gods that Leonsis gets that kid. We need talent on the blueline so fricken bad.
Absolutely now is the time to spend some of the money that they "saved'. With a draft pick on that team you know they had to see a lot of him. Go get him GMGM! :yo:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
TomACE said:
In the other thread somebody has said that the Devils and the Islanders were the frontrunners in the sweepstakes. Heck, if the Devs sign him they might throw him into there lineup right away.

A few weeks ago there was a report in an austrian newspaper about the Islanders being interested in Pöck. I don't know if there's something on...

Last time he played for the austrian National Team he played center (his dad is the coach there).

The Austrian

TomACE said:

i said that. i read it in austrian newspapers.

i´m not sure, but he was center. he played that in austrian national team also.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It'd be nice to see the Sabres ask Vanek to put in a good word. Lord knows they've got openings all over the place on their blueline....

Katana

Mar 1, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
Chainshot said:
It'd be nice to see the Sabres ask Vanek to put in a good word. Lord knows they've got openings all over the place on their blueline....

IMO Pöck would be a better point man on the Sabres PP than Brian Campbell could ever hope to be. It's time for Tom Golisano to put his money where his mouth is and put up money for a free agent like Pöck.

http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/pock_thomas00.html

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
pöck was winger, if i remember right he was a left-winger at the kac (btw my favorite hockey team in austria - they have the best youth development of the country).

i think pöck will play on defense if he makes the next step to play in the nhl.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
having watch Hockey East for quite some time -- i wouldnt but much hope in this guy. Based purely on talent he is no better than former BC blueliner Mike Mottau and look where he is.

That being said I know nothing of MM's attitude, work ethic etc...., nor do I know Pock's -- but talent wise - offensive and defensive - he is not better than Mottau

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Swervedriver said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt Pock have to be drafted because he's a European?

Boston tried to sign Martin Wilde out of college and that got voided because of his European status.

Why would it be different for Pock?

Redline hinted at that a month or so back (that he needed to be drafted). I don't know one way or the other, but it would be nice to hear a definitive word.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
sveiglar said:
Redline hinted at that a month or so back (that he needed to be drafted). I don't know one way or the other, but it would be nice to hear a definitive word.

pöck is definitely a free agent!

there is no doubt about his status!!!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Katana said:
IMO Pöck would be a better point man on the Sabres PP than Brian Campbell could ever hope to be. It's time for Tom Golisano to put his money where his mouth is and put up money for a free agent like Pöck.

http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/pock_thomas00.html

I agree. Campbell as a pro looks like a superior AHL offensive talent who can't get it done at the next level. I would not be surprised to see him in Rochester or not tendered this summer. And with the plethora of AHL veterans on the Amerks blueline, the team could use an infusion from a prospect or two.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
St. Louis has signed lots of FA's out of college (Sejna, Mark Rycroft and Mike Stuart, to name but three), and Jarmo Kekalainen seems well-tuned-in to the lesser-known European player.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues take a flyer on this guy... especially since they got beaten to the punch on Yann Danis. :rant:

Ah, well... Sean Fields is still out there.

PrussianBlue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad