Status
Not open for further replies.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
hunter1909 said:
the owners dont care if they lose the season...

the real fans of hockey dont care either...

only the 700 odd greedy lames care...

and those who make their living off hockey related matters...

personally...i cant wait to see replacement players brought in, and the NHLPA smashed to atoms
The owners will LOVE you and anyone else thats willing to shell out premium money to watch an inferior product :lol
Why not stop at Mcdonalds and pay $40.00 for a big mac on your way home as well.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Carl Spackler said:
I'll have no problem watching replacements. If your favourite player gets dealt from your team do you switch allegiances? Besides, if replacement players are used it will take about a week and a half before the players continue to do what they are best at-looking out for #1. Replacement players = Regular NHL hockey within a month. The sooner the better in my opinion.
I refuse to watch the NHL product when it is clearly not the best. Call them the Toronto tuba's of the Western World hockey league and i may pay 15 dollars to see it. I will not pay 60 bucks plus to watch the NHL without all the NHL talent.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
garry1221 said:
here's a question do you think for one second that the fans will put up with paying huge prices for a mediocre product? Frankly i'd say most fans would be calling either for a refund or *gasp* LOWER TICKET PRICES across the board. Don't try bringing the supply and demand garbage because eventually the demand runs out and you'll still have the fans calling for lower ticket prices.

What is it you think supply and demand is? Yes bad teams, generally get lower demand for tickets. Fans seem to thikn a market is bad if they dont sell out when their team is in last place, but that is a romantic notion in all but a few markets in certain situations, not reality. On the other hand, you are suggeting that if all teams had the same payroll, that attendance would be higher for the teams not making the playoffs. Perhaps thinking the fans will be fooled?

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I refuse to watch the NHL product when it is clearly not the best. Call them the Toronto tuba's of the Western World hockey league and i may pay 15 dollars to see it. I will not pay 60 bucks plus to watch the NHL without all the NHL talent.
This is the part I'm confused about. Why do people think ticket prices will remain the same if replacement players are used? What NHL owner thinks that he can charge NHL prices with non-NHL caliber talent? He can try it, but he'll be in for a rude awakening. I might be in the minority, but if replacement players are used, I fully expect ticket prices to be lowered (no different than when the Binghampton Senators play the occasional game at the Corel Centre).

But back to the title of the thread...I agree, you can stick a fork in it now. There won't be a season this year. Neither side is going to budge...what a frickin' waste. Now if I can only find a way to get SporstNet to show B-Sens games on TV...;)

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
thinkwild said:
What is it you think supply and demand is? Yes bad teams, generally get lower demand for tickets. Fans seem to thikn a market is bad if they dont sell out when their team is in last place, but that is a romantic notion in all but a few markets in certain situations, not reality. On the other hand, you are suggeting that if all teams had the same payroll, that attendance would be higher for the teams not making the playoffs. Perhaps thinking the fans will be fooled?

I'm not saying that at all. Those would be your suggestions trying to be planted in my head. Everyone says ticket prices are so high because of the demand. Yet No one wants to put a cap on salaries because they say the demand will still be there for the tickets, thus keeping ticket prices high. However if a cap makes a team mediocre at best, then how, as a fan, could you justify paying allstar type ticket prices. Hockey fans are not drones(well i suppose there's a few). The majority of the fans would refuse to pay those prices for such a 'mediocre' product. Sure there may be a few people out there stupid enough to pay it, but if thre's an overwhelming majority that don't then you're left with empty seats, less revenue, less money. What would you do as an owner, simply sit back and watch an empty arena? NO, you lower ticket prices and bring the fans back to the arena.

To put it in simple terms: You wouldn't think of paying Starbucks prices when buying a cup of coffee from Caribou coffee right? So why pay first class prices for a second class seat. Yes i know there's two different examples there, but both are valid.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Problem with the game:

Fans who believe that can't understand that higher ticket prices lead to higher player salaries, not the other way around.

If the fans were smart enough to understand some basic economics then they wouldn't care what the players made. They'd just want the NHL to be playing right now.

And name 1 guy who scored 60 goals last year or 1 guy who had 140 points. You can't.

Face it. The system is broke and there's no billion dollar TV deals out there to justify saving this season or next.

YellHockey*

chara said:
And name 1 guy who scored 60 goals last year or 1 guy who had 140 points. You can't.

What are you babbling about now?

Are you even trying to make sense? Or are you just rambling on for no apparent reason?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
BlackRedGold said:
Problem with the game:

Fans who believe that can't understand that higher ticket prices lead to higher player salaries, not the other way around.

Guess what? Either way you spin it, it still ends up as:

If salaries don't increase, neither will ticket prices.

If the fans were smart enough to understand some basic economics then they wouldn't care what the players made. They'd just want the NHL to be playing right now.

No, most fans don't want the MLB. Most fans want a healthy successful league.

And if you were smart enough to understand some basic economics, you would realize the league is in trouble, and would want the NHL to fix it, and if it meant that there was no NHL hockey, it would be worth it.

YellHockey*

dawgbone said:

Completely faulty logic.

If A then B does not equal if B then A.

If ticket prices don't increase then salaries won't increase is a statement that is true but your statement isn't.

Especially if the owners get their salary cap. Salaries won't be able to go up but there will be nothing stopping ticket prices from going up other then consumer demand.

The NHL is the NHL. MLB is MLB. They are two distinct and unique organizations. The only common thread is that they are both sports organizations and neither one has a salary cap. The rest of their CBA's are very different. The spread between the rich and poor is different. The age of unrestricted free agency is different. Their arbitration systems are very different.

And if you were smart enough to understand some basic economics, you would realize the league is in trouble, and would want the NHL to fix it, and if it meant that there was no NHL hockey, it would be worth it.

Well, I am smart enough to understand some basic economics. Actually, I am even smart enough to understand some more advanced economics and I have the degree to prove it!

The question is do you understand basic economics?

Why is the league in trouble? What is going to happen if the status quo isn't maintained? What can be worse then no hockey, which is the current situation?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
BlackRedGold said:
Completely faulty logic.

If A then B does not equal if B then A.

If ticket prices don't increase then salaries won't increase is a statement that is true but your statement isn't.

Not necessarily. In some NHL markets, it is the demand. They will jack prices as high up as possible, as long as people pay it. In most NHL markets, prices are up because they need to be in order to maxmize revenues.

In Toronto, you can have an average ticket price of $150... it doesn't matter, someone will pay it. That isn't the case in all cities, otherwise, ticket prices would have been sky high Long before the meteoric rise in player salaries.

Especially if the owners get their salary cap. Salaries won't be able to go up but there will be nothing stopping ticket prices from going up other then consumer demand.

In certain markets... which is what you are failing to grasp. In alot of NHL cities, ticket prices are as high as consumer demand allows, and it still isn't enough! These cities aren't the norm, they are the exception.

The NHL is the NHL. MLB is MLB. They are two distinct and unique organizations. The only common thread is that they are both sports organizations and neither one has a salary cap. The rest of their CBA's are very different. The spread between the rich and poor is different. The age of unrestricted free agency is different. Their arbitration systems are very different.

And neither league is very good. Yes they are distinct, but they have very close similarities. The MLB is just a few years ahead of where the NHL is, in terms of disparity between the haves and the have nots.

The spread between the rich and poor isn't that different (outside of the expos, who are now gone), the only difference in baseball is that the numbers on both sides are bigger.

Neither system is good if you aren't a top revenue generating team.

The Senators are nothing more than the Oakland A's... continually trading off better players and hoping it works out... I wonder where the Sens will be in a couple of seasons.

Well, I am smart enough to understand some basic economics. Actually, I am even smart enough to understand some more advanced economics and I have the degree to prove it!

The question is do you understand basic economics?

Congrats... you can say you have a degree on a message board... I guess we should all abandon ship because you say you have a degree, which means you are all-knowing.

I do understand basic economics... I understand that once you maximize revenues, continual increases in your costs are not maintainable. I also know that salaries league-wide aren't getting smaller, they are getting much bigger.

I also understand that if this is happening, and you own a franchise that is suffering through this, you are in trouble.

Why is the league in trouble? What is going to happen if the status quo isn't maintained? What can be worse then no hockey, which is the current situation?

The league is in trouble because the salaries are out of control. What's going happen? It's certainly not going to get better on it's own, simply based on the fact it's gotten worse.

What can be worse than no hockey?

Lots. Like your favorite team no longer in your city, or watching your best players continually leaving to rich teams because they can spend $80mil on salaries. You're just pissed because you think your team has a chance at the cup right now, and this could be your season... I understand that. However, you aren't thinking about the future of your team. What's going to happen in 3-4 years when your best players command significantly more money than what they get now? What happens if your team misses out on 4 or 5 cups in the future because they didn't make a stand now to change the league economics?

I would figure as a Senator fan, you would be pleased. Being able to keep a team with Spezza, Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Redden etc... for 7 or 8 years would be very appealing to me. At the same time, watching salaries increase season after season like they have been would have me worried out of my mind.

It's a gate-driven league. Seasons ticket holders everywhere (who are the bread and butter of the league) support the owners... if I'm an owner, I care more about the majority of their opinions than I do about someone who doesn't own seasons tickets.

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
BlackRedGold said:

Except that a salary cap comes as a percentage of revenue and, in a gate-driven league, you'll have a hard time getting ticket sales out of that equation. Thus, the more tickets that are sold at a higher price, then the higher the cap will be, and the more money available for player contracts. So, increasing consumer demand would be linked directly with player salaries.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Cully9 said:
Except that a salary cap comes as a percentage of revenue and, in a gate-driven league, you'll have a hard time getting ticket sales out of that equation. Thus, the more tickets that are sold at a higher price, then the higher the cap will be, and the more money available for player contracts. So, increasing consumer demand would be linked directly with player salaries.

Ding Ding, ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

:handclap:

YellHockey*

dawgbone said:
Not necessarily. In some NHL markets, it is the demand. They will jack prices as high up as possible, as long as people pay it. In most NHL markets, prices are up because they need to be in order to maxmize revenues.

Actually in all NHL markets tickets are priced to maximize revenues based upon demand.

In certain markets... which is what you are failing to grasp. In alot of NHL cities, ticket prices are as high as consumer demand allows, and it still isn't enough! These cities aren't the norm, they are the exception.

Well then those cities shouldn't have NHL teams if they're not willing to pay NHL prices. Why should the fans in cities that are willing to pay NHL prices suffer a lockout because fans in other cities are too cheap to pay NHL prices?

And neither league is very good. Yes they are distinct, but they have very close similarities. The MLB is just a few years ahead of where the NHL is, in terms of disparity between the haves and the have nots.

Neither league is very good? That's rather subjective. I didn't see a whole lot of Flames or Lightning fans complaining about the league during the playoffs last year.

The spread between the rich and poor isn't that different (outside of the expos, who are now gone), the only difference in baseball is that the numbers on both sides are bigger.

What is the spread in both leagues? Why do you think that it isn't that different? I don't follow baseball that closely anymore but don't the Yankees have a payroll close to $200M? There's no one even close to that in the NHL.

Neither system is good if you aren't a top revenue generating team.

The difference is that the top revenue generating teams in baseball are in the biggest markets. In the NHL , for the most part, they aren't. In the NHL the top revenue generating teams are the ones that are successful, not the ones in the big markets.

The Senators are nothing more than the Oakland A's... continually trading off better players and hoping it works out... I wonder where the Sens will be in a couple of seasons.

When have the Senators traded off any better players?

The Sens will probably be right were they were the past off-season, Stanley Cup contenders, in a couple of seasons.

I do understand basic economics... I understand that once you maximize revenues, continual increases in your costs are not maintainable. I also know that salaries league-wide aren't getting smaller, they are getting much bigger.

How much bigger are they getting? If you're going to make a claim at least quantify it! How much are salaries rising in the NHL?

I also understand that if this is happening, and you own a franchise that is suffering through this, you are in trouble.

I thought I prefaced my previous post with the fact that I don't have a financial interest in the NHL. So why do I care about this?

The league is in trouble because the salaries are out of control. What's going happen? It's certainly not going to get better on it's own, simply based on the fact it's gotten worse.

Once again, define how salaries are going out of control. How much did salaries rise last season over the previous?

Lots. Like your favorite team no longer in your city, or watching your best players continually leaving to rich teams because they can spend $80mil on salaries.

You've had those players in your organization for over a decade. Why shouldn't they have the right to go somewhere else if they choose? Why should they be stuck in a losing organization for their entire career?

You're just pissed because you think your team has a chance at the cup right now, and this could be your season... I understand that. However, you aren't thinking about the future of your team. What's going to happen in 3-4 years when your best players command significantly more money than what they get now?

Hopefully the revenues will be there with a Cup or two to pay them. There is a chance that can happen. But how can the Sens keep all those good players if there is a cap? Then they have to lose someone.

If the best players are going to command more money the Sens can pay those players with the money from my really expensive playoff tickets. With a cap they can't use the money I spent on playoff tickets to sign them. They'll have to trade some of them off.

What happens if your team misses out on 4 or 5 cups in the future because they didn't make a stand now to change the league economics?

I think they're more likely to lose out with a cap. Especially if the age of UFA is lowered.

I would figure as a Senator fan, you would be pleased. Being able to keep a team with Spezza, Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Redden etc... for 7 or 8 years would be very appealing to me. At the same time, watching salaries increase season after season like they have been would have me worried out of my mind.

How much have salaries been increasing season after season? You keep bringing that up but you never specify how much.

It's a gate-driven league. Seasons ticket holders everywhere (who are the bread and butter of the league) support the owners... if I'm an owner, I care more about the majority of their opinions than I do about someone who doesn't own seasons tickets.

Well, I'm a season ticket holder. Although the longer this drags on, the more likely it is that that will change permanently.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
Well then those cities shouldn't have NHL teams if they're not willing to pay NHL prices. Why should the fans in cities that are willing to pay NHL prices suffer a lockout because fans in other cities are too cheap to pay NHL prices?

This seems to be a favourite phrase for some around here.

I gotta ask, in your expert opinion, what do you consider NHL prices?

two out of three*

dawgbone said:
What can be worse than no hockey?

Lots. Like your favorite team no longer in your city, or watching your best players continually leaving to rich teams because they can spend $80mil on salaries. You're just pissed because you think your team has a chance at the cup right now, and this could be your season... I understand that. However, you aren't thinking about the future of your team. What's going to happen in 3-4 years when your best players command significantly more money than what they get now? What happens if your team misses out on 4 or 5 cups in the future because they didn't make a stand now to change the league economics?

Nothing can be worse than no hockey. If my LA Kings left Los Angeles, it would suck @$$, but I'd rather have hockey than to not have hockey at all. I for one am grateful that we get to watch hockey on T.V. every day. (when it was around.)

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Cully9 said:
Careful now , there is a colorful poster here who has a degree. He understands more than just basic economics. They took him off the caramilk secret case to educate the uneducated on why they are all moron player bashers.Its working wonders.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
BlackRedGold said:
Actually in all NHL markets tickets are priced to maximize revenues based upon demand.

So then why haven't the ticket prices been sky high for the past 10 years? Why do they grow at a higher rate than inflation? Why are they growing at a higher rate than attendance growth?

What exactly are NHL prices?

Ottawa is the lower half of the league as well, and they complain about the league economics and prices as much as anyone.

I guess they shouldn't have a team either.

But this figures I guess.. 2 years ago when Bryden had the city by the short curlies, Sens fans everywhere where at a loss... but now with a stable owner who is willing to put up with some losses, Sens fans can join the leafs up on their perch like 2 grumpy grandfathers yelling at the kids who don't have as much money as them.

Neither league is very good? That's rather subjective. I didn't see a whole lot of Flames or Lightning fans complaining about the league during the playoffs last year.

No, but Sens fans sure complained alot... so did every other teams fans who weren't in the finals. And as much as the complaining stopped in Calgary during their run, it started back up once the aura of what happened started to rub off.

What is the spread in both leagues? Why do you think that it isn't that different? I don't follow baseball that closely anymore but don't the Yankees have a payroll close to $200M? There's no one even close to that in the NHL.

And I said within each sport, the spread isn't different, it's just the haves in baseball have a lot more than the haves in hockey, and the have-nots in baseball have a lot more than the have-nots in hockey.

The difference is that the top revenue generating teams in baseball are in the biggest markets. In the NHL , for the most part, they aren't. In the NHL the top revenue generating teams are the ones that are successful, not the ones in the big markets.

Sorry man... the top revenue generating teams in the NHL are as follows:

New York Rangers
Dallas Stars
Toronto Maple Leafs
Philadelphia Flyers
Detroit Red Wings
Colorado Avalanche
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Kings
Montreal Canadiens
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
St Louis Blues
New Jersey Devils
Columbus Blue Jackets
San Jose Sharks
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Oddly enough, they are some of the bigger markets, and more successful teams... gee, who would have guessed?

When have the Senators traded off any better players?

It started with Yashin, then Bonk. Like I've said to you countless times, wait until the contracts for guys like Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, etc... come up for renewal. You haven't seen it yet, but the market for those guys is far more than what the Senators can pay. Try using a little bit of forsight. You are evidently an economics whiz... NHL salaries have gone up every year, and they'll keep going up.

The Sens will probably be right were they were the past off-season, Stanley Cup contenders, in a couple of seasons.

Contenders? Maybe... depends on how much coin Hossa wants. If you think he'll still only be looking for $3.5 mil after a couple more 40 goal seasons, you are dreaming. Guys like him, Spezza, Havlat, Redden and maybe even Chara are going to be up for some pretty big money... I wonder what you will say then. What'll happen when Muckler has to trade UFA to be Chara in a couple of years? Hope you get a good young decent return like you got for Yashin and start over. Your team is on the cusp... but your players are also on the cusp... they are just hovering into that elite player category.

Not everyone is Alfredsson who signs for less money than he could get elsewhere.

How much bigger are they getting? If you're going to make a claim at least quantify it! How much are salaries rising in the NHL?

1997-98 was when the NHL average salary topped $1mil for the first time. In 2000-01 the average NHL salary was $1.48mil. At the end of the 2003-04 season, that was up to $1.83 mil.

I thought I prefaced my previous post with the fact that I don't have a financial interest in the NHL. So why do I care about this?

Are you not a fan? You should be concerned about how the owner of your franchise feels.

You've had those players in your organization for over a decade. Why shouldn't they have the right to go somewhere else if they choose? Why should they be stuck in a losing organization for their entire career?

Because most players don't start to make serious strides in the NHL for 5 or 6 years after they are drafted, then they start to play well, establish themselves, the team starts to win, and BAM, contract time and so long to the player you just spent 6 or 7 years developing.

Do you think players on the 97 or 98 Oilers team were sick of losing? They were a young team with some good players who beat some pretty good teams in the playoffs. You think they left because they were sick of losing?

Hopefully the revenues will be there with a Cup or two to pay them. There is a chance that can happen. But how can the Sens keep all those good players if there is a cap? Then they have to lose someone.

No they won't, because 30 other teams will be in the same situation as them. Hossa won't be able to look for $6mil from other teams, because guys like Palffy, Demitra, etc... will also be looking.

If there is a cap, it changes the dynamic of everything... comparables get thrown out the window. instead of Chara looking for Neidermayer money ($7+mil), or Pronger money ($10+mil), he won't be able to get much more than the $5 mil he nearly already makes.

If the best players are going to command more money the Sens can pay those players with the money from my really expensive playoff tickets. With a cap they can't use the money I spent on playoff tickets to sign them. They'll have to trade some of them off.

They can't use the money you spent on playoff tickets to keep up as it is. Otherwise, they wouldn't have dealt Bonk. He's depth a team like Ottawa needs to make it farther in the playoffs.

Don't you see? Any player you cast off some team will pick up and they will be better for it. Your playoff revenues over the past few seasons hasn't done much to help you keep a guy like Bonk, or Arvedsson... guys who aren't flashy, but who are still contributors.

It starts off with those guys, but there aren't enough of those guys to cast off to keep up with rising salaries. Soon it isn't the 2nd line centre, it's the 1st.

I think they're more likely to lose out with a cap. Especially if the age of UFA is lowered.

How? If everyteam is under the same restrictions, how is it Ottawa loses out?

How much have salaries been increasing season after season? You keep bringing that up but you never specify how much.

Because it's common knowledge.

Well, I'm a season ticket holder. Although the longer this drags on, the more likely it is that that will change permanently.

And guess what?

You are in the minority of seasons ticket holders.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us said:
Nothing can be worse than no hockey. If my LA Kings left Los Angeles, it would suck @$$, but I'd rather have hockey than to not have hockey at all. I for one am grateful that we get to watch hockey on T.V. every day. (when it was around.)

Well, from my POV, if the Oilers left Edmonton, there would be no NHL hockey to watch.

There is all kinds of good hockey around me, so I guess I can get my fix elsewhere.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Lots of emotion out here today boys...glad to see we all still care...
I don't think ther will be a season this year unless the PA puts its tail between its legs and comes crawling back to the bargining table begging to do whatever is necessary, NOT WHAT THEY FELL IS NECESSARY, to get a season going..
Every time another player opens his mouth we are treated to a delightful monolouge of idiocy...
Do the players not understand that no one feels sorry for them.. that no one cares about them.. we fans care about hockey.. no NHL ok that sucks but i guess I'll go watch the Hamilton Bulldogs next weekend and get a hockey fix... Will it be as good?? does that realy matter?... its hockey I love.. Not... any one player and frankly the longer this lockout goes the more i realize I can live without it.. i also realize that the longer this childish fight over who's is bigger, betman's or goodnowe's the more I find the whole thing disgusting and the longer it will take me to come back,....to NHL hockey
Has anyone else noticed that while the players are calling betman a madman and clamouring to get back to the table that the owners are strangely silent.. kinda like the cat who already new they where going to try and break the union and use replacement players tee-hee

two out of three*

dawgbone said:
Well, from my POV, if the Oilers left Edmonton, there would be no NHL hockey to watch.

There is all kinds of good hockey around me, so I guess I can get my fix elsewhere.

IMO the NHL Hockey is the best hockey around, and I'd still watch regardless if my team left my area.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
New York Rangers
Dallas Stars
Toronto Maple Leafs
Philadelphia Flyers
Detroit Red Wings
Colorado Avalanche
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Kings
Montreal Canadiens
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
St Louis Blues
New Jersey Devils
Columbus Blue Jackets
San Jose Sharks
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Ottawa was in better financial shape than Washington San Jose Columbus New Jersey St. Louis Islanders the Kings, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins Stars and Rangers last season.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Carl Spackler said:
I'll have no problem watching replacements. If your favourite player gets dealt from your team do you switch allegiances? Besides, if replacement players are used it will take about a week and a half before the players continue to do what they are best at-looking out for #1. Replacement players = Regular NHL hockey within a month. The sooner the better in my opinion.

First any fan of the habs or the Canucks will not see hockey in there cities if replacements are used. Second replacement players can only be used in other Canadian cities on a temporary basis, one season max. Three impasse is extremely tough in a lockout situation and likely not going to be granted, it is not a reward to employers that refuse to negotiate. The owners are playing a very dangerous game and very likely under current labor law in the US and Canada, to lose badly.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
dawgbone said:

Sorry, but the 2 top sports economists in the world, Reis and Zimbalist, disagree with you. They also agree that the NHL is not in the finanacial mess that Bettman is singing. I suggest you do a little research on terms such as corporate nepotism and corproate balancing. Bill Daly admitted on ESPN radio that there are teams in the league that are intentionally losing money. Do you really beleive that the Flyers and Rangers are the biggest money losers in the NHL, the teams in the 2 largest sports markets in North America.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Sorry man... the top revenue generating teams in the NHL are as follows:

New York Rangers
Dallas Stars
Toronto Maple Leafs
Philadelphia Flyers
Detroit Red Wings
Colorado Avalanche
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Kings
Montreal Canadiens
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
St Louis Blues
New Jersey Devils
Columbus Blue Jackets
San Jose Sharks
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Sorry according to ESPN radio NY the Rangers are the biggest money loser in the NHL according to there URO, A story in the Philidelpia Enquirer, called Truth in the NHL as thin as ice, list Philidelphia in the list of 6 biggest money losers, however there GM admits to 2 sets of books. What no one understands is the URO's do NOT follow any standard accounting procedures, they are a contrived list of percentages derived from a half baked list of what is supposed to be "hockey related revenue".

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
First any fan of the habs or the Canucks will not see hockey in there cities if replacements are used. Second replacement players can only be used in other Canadian cities on a temporary basis, one season max. Three impasse is extremely tough in a lockout situation and likely not going to be granted, it is not a reward to employers that refuse to negotiate. The owners are playing a very dangerous game and very likely under current labor law in the US and Canada, to lose badly.

That's not true apparantly. It seems that the PA isn't recognized in Quebec or BC as a labour union. As such, they aren't protected by the law (and the teams can use replacement players). Bring em on!

Heck, even if they can't have teams in Montreal and Vancouver, bring on the replacement players, I'll watch the games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->