Let’s talk Alex (not Curry) Faust

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I think he’s been great so far. Even keel when he needs to be, but excitable when the time calls for it. Quick and decisive with his deliveries, and is good at diagnosing plays as they happen. He does use “Johnny on the spot” some, but that’s cool. Maybe his little trademark call.

I’d like for him to concentrate on our D a little more, especially break-out passes, but he’s new, and it’s a small quibble.

We did real well in hiring him. I did like that psycho Edmonton Oiler radio guy, but I’m sure many would've hated the hire.

Ol’ Foxy is much more calm and calculated with his “whoas” and such with Faust.

We’ve had five games with him, now. What say you, Kings fam? You likey, so far?

Reactions: Butch 19

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Huge shoes to fill, but he's doing admirably. Has proven himself much more knowledgable than I thought, too. And I totally agree he seems to match the action well with his voice. It's very, very strange not having Bob, but I think they've struck gold with Faust.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
He's growing on me ... his flow is definitely there. I can tell he is still getting used to Foxy and his homerism. You can tell that Alex was slightly annoyed by his responses, at least I noticed them (moreso the first couple of broadcasts).

At least he's not saying ForBORT anymore.

Reactions: KingTrouty

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
He’s doing better then most would under the circumstances. I could live without “icing is in effect” which he said about 40 times in the nbsn broadcast vs Montreal.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i like the occasional jack edwards you hear out of him on exciting goals, as a whole his calls are very inoffensive and easy to listen to

he's still finding his stride and getting comfortable though, gotta remember these are his first NHL games and he's been thrown right into the fire with a pair of national telecasts so there's probably some nerves there too

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I enjoy his no-nonsense style of calling a game, and he's sufficiently homer-y when it's a FSW broadcast. Understandably he has to play it up the middle more on national telecasts. Aside from it sounding like he's forcing his deep voice (it doesn't sound like it's his natural tone), he's been doing great. I love the enthusiasm, and the lack of BS in his call.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Alex has done a great job for the 2 weeks he's been here. And he will only get better as he develops his own shtick. He'll get to know Fox better over time, and they should be a good team

I really can't imagine a better fit right now - the Kings made an excellent choice!! :thumbu:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've really enjoyed the broadcasts. He's got a great voice and he's not over-the-top with catch-phrases (except for "Johnny-on-the-spot"). Good feel for the game. He doesn't quite have the same chemistry with Fox as Bob Miller, but he's only a few games in.

Helps that the Kings are winning right now. Makes everything look good.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
I just wish he wouldn't be so aggressive with the color commentary, because he oftentimes gets it wrong (like when Cammalleri went to the box last game, and he said the penalty was on Seth Jones and started talking about the Kings having a 5 on 3, even though the whistle blew when the Kings touched the puck). He does it frequently, and then it's really awkward when Jim directly contradicts what he said right afterward,

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
First pretty bad period of the year from the kid...

(Not understanding that interference call, being a know it all about the concussion protocol, a few other things...)

Let’s see how he rebounds in the second.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I like him, Fox's homerism is getting worse and worse...
same

fox's immediate assumption that hyman or whoever that was elbowed quick was really lame.. it was clearly forbort and he even said it was hyman after watching a replay. like it's your job to relay what you're seeing, so you need to see it right. i mean yes, he corrected himself later but you can't f*** that up twice as a professional broadcaster.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He is horrible at understanding penalty calls, as if he doesn't understand the whistle blows when the team that committed the penalty touches the puck. Needs to not be so adamant in this regard.

He's fine though. Ditch the icing in effect and go from there.

Reactions: KingTrouty and mbar

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
There are times when he says stuff that is completely out of his ass. You can usually tell from the complete and utter silence from Fox in response.

Overall though I don’t hate him.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I've really enjoyed the broadcasts. He's got a great voice and he's not over-the-top with catch-phrases (except for "Johnny-on-the-spot"). Good feel for the game. He doesn't quite have the same chemistry with Fox as Bob Miller, but he's only a few games in.

Helps that the Kings are winning right now. Makes everything look good.
Yeah, that “Johnny on the Spot” deal is annoying. And I forgot what he said last night, I think “right place at right time” or somesuch.

Still, I like this cat. He has turned Jim Fox into a better color guy. Jimmie isn’t all Pom Pom anymore. And I love their subtle passive-aggressive one ups on each other. Truly growing with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad