Leonsis "Calls Ovechkin Out"

I Am Score*

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/leonsis-on-ovechkin-he-needs-to-play-better/

via Pro Hockey Talk

Not unlike his paying customers, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is worried about the play of Alex Ovechkin.

Via Puck Daddy, Leonsis voiced his concerns today on Washington radio station WTOP.

“Alex is off to a slow start,†he said, “and I’m surprised because he did go play in the KHL. But he’s having to get integrated into this new system. We put him on the right side, and now he’s back on the left side.

“He needs to play better. I don’t have the answers, obviously; I’m not running the hockey operations.â€

Ovechkin was held pointless in yesterday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. In six games, the 27-year-old former NHL scoring champ has just one goal and one assist.

When asked what he thought his star player — the one with the $124 million contract — could do better, Leonsis said, “You know, he gets double-teamed all the time. He has to keep moving. That’s the one thing I’ve noticed when he doesn’t have a good game – he seems to be more stationary.â€

That’s one theory. There are plenty of others.

But Leonsi put it best with this: “He needs to play better.â€

Halpysback*

Problem: Ovechkin keeps getting double teamed because he's the only legitimate scoring threat on the roster despite this being year million of the rebuild and is being played with scrubs

Solution: Uh... play more good

With hockey acumen like that throughout the organization it's a miracle we haven't won a cup yet.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Problem: Ovechkin keeps getting double teamed because he's the only legitimate scoring threat on the roster despite this being year million of the rebuild and is being played with scrubs

Solution: Uh... play more good

With hockey acumen like that throughout the organization it's a miracle we haven't won a cup yet.

right because ovechkin getting double teamed is entirely new, when ovechkin won 3 straight lindsay's no team thought of double teaming him

Halpysback*

right because ovechkin getting double teamed is entirely new, when ovechkin won 3 straight lindsay's no team thought of double teaming him

At some point it's obviously gonna get old for him. To expect otherwise is to pretend the human brain doesn't work the way it does. If you noticed he still gets triple teamed in the playoffs and still gives them a hard time there. In the regular season he has fewer ****s to give.

Plus back then we at least had secondary scoring.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ovechkin got the richest contract in the sport's history because double teams couldn't stop him.

His struggles have absolutely nothing to do with him being the only scoring threat.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
If I was Ovechkin, I would tell him to keep signing my cheques and let me figure it out. :laugh:

Halpysback*

His struggles are from a bunch of things coming together that collectively got him to give less of a **** during the regular season, probably not even intentionally. Getting doubleteamed is probably one of them and one we could amend/capitalize on if we didn't have clueless management. Not everyone can keep going balls to the wall for a decade especially with nothing to show for it.

These contracts are for players to stay on your team, not to perform. Especially with guaranteed contracts. Money isn't really a good motivator for actual performance unless you're absolutely dying for it. This is true in just about any job, not just professional sports. Jon Ivy isn't designing "great" iPhones and **** because he's getting paid a ton, he's getting paid a ton to stay at Apple and work his talents there. If he was paid $100k a year and no one offered him more he'd be designing the exact same things with the exact same quality.

"Work it off ya *****" sounds great on paper but doesn't actually reflect the reality of these things.

Halpysback*

Compared to now absolutely.

We have one bona fide top 6 winger. Not a particularly good recipe especially during the regular season when sniping is more efficient than putting in the garbage.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Leaving aside for a moment the question of whether Ovie sucks or not, I think we can all agree that Leonsis is a total ****.

He rushes into the long-term deal with Alex. Then he leads the charge to lockout the players so he can get some of his money back. He treats his season ticket holders like crap and insults his fan base publicly on the blog when they complain.

And now he calls Ovie out like this!?!?

Shut the **** up, man. :rant:

If you have an issue with your star, tell him privately. Or tell you worthless **** of GM to talk to him. But this is just so uncool.

I really have come to hate this guy. And I'm not a Wiz fan. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I cared about both teams.

Halpysback*

Leaving aside for a moment the question of whether Ovie sucks or not, I think we can all agree that Leonsis is a total ****.

He rushes into the long-term deal with Alex. Then he leads the charge to lockout the players so he can get some of his money back. He treats his season ticket holders like crap and insults his fan base publicly on the blog when they complain.

If you have an issue with your star, tell him privately. Or tell you worthless **** of GM to talk to him. But this is just so uncool.

I really have come to hate this guy. And I'm not a Wiz fan. Can't imagine how I'd feel if I cared about both teams.

It's just typical Middle Management mentality, nothing more, nothing less. Once you've dealt with one you've dealt with them all.

I Am Score*

I've been trying to tell people this for how long lol..

Leonsis is one of the bigger douches in the whole league. You think the Caps are bad? It looks like he could give two ***** he owns the worst team in the NBA in the Wizards.

And he allows a contract like Ovechkin's to even be signed. Then he keeps GMGM alive when he deserved to be fired. Then he lets GMGM hire as many alumni coaches as he wants. As long as Ted is making money.

Halpysback*

Ovechkin agreed to something like 6 years 9 million per. Adding the other 7 at 10 per was Leonsis's idea.

Liberati0n*

Could someone possibly post what Ted said? I'm on my phone and can't see the OP.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Could someone possibly post what Ted said? I'm on my phone and can't see the OP.

Here's the gist of it:

93e09f2260bd252d94a3e313e4372325.jpeg

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Ted is still a turd but I have no issue with this either.

I think more people that call him out the better. Remind him that a captain shouldnt put himself above the others. I hope it fires him up and he fights someone. Not that I love fighting,but thats the type of intensity id like to see esp sunday afternoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->