Lemieux: NHLers missed out on best deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
If you read further on, he states that the Pens will be in the market for some higher priced talent. Gotta figure that Kovalev will land there.

The PA should have heeded Lemieux back in February.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Kovalev will probably be the quickest UFA to sign a contract once the market opens again as he's had a 3-year deal on the table since last summer and Pittsburgh wants him to anchor the second line.

Pens will also look at guys such as Martin Straka, Paul Kariya, Alexei Zhamnov, and a few others depending on the flooded market.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
How could a 42.5 million cap with no floor, lower than 100% qualifying offers, no room for movement upwards or anything be better than a cap thats 3 million lower, has arbitration, QO at 110, 105 and 100 percent and the possibility to go up (and admittedly down)?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
scaredsensfan said:
How could a 42.5 million cap with no floor, lower than 100% qualifying offers, no room for movement upwards or anything be better than a cap thats 3 million lower, has arbitration, QO at 110, 105 and 100 percent and the possibility to go up (and admittedly down)?
Considering a year's lost wages, I'll say yes.

Think Mario is getting a little satisfaction out of say "we told you so"? :sarcasm:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
scaredsensfan said:

The same way a 24% rollback with a worthless luxury tax and virtually nothing else in the way of salary controls would have been great for the owners?

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Roots73 said:
If you read further on, he states that the Pens will be in the market for some higher priced talent. Gotta figure that Kovalev will land there.

The PA should have heeded Lemieux back in February.

Montreal would have something to say about that :sarcasm:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
scaredsensfan said:
because they lost out on a year's salary for "never in a million years will we take a cap" talk...plus the fact they wouldn't accept linkage...

MontrealCruiser_83*

Komisarek8 said:
I don't see Kovalev playing past 35 so I doubt he'd be interested in signing with the lowly pens for the rest of his career. I also doubt he'd be interested in "anchoring the second line".

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
I don't see Kovalev playing past 35 so I doubt he'd be interested in signing with the lowly pens for the rest of his career. I also doubt he'd be interested in "anchoring the second line".

The Habs aren't exactly cup contenders either.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
The Pens have a lot of young talent and are going to be active in the free agent market, not to mention Kovalev has played his best hockey in Pittsburgh. I don't think the Pens will be a bottom feeder for much longer. Pittsburgh is a big possibility and there were a lot of rumours last year involving him and the Pens (after Recchi was signed). It's not that far fetched.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its a strange comment from Lemieux really ..

When Gretzky and Lemieux where included in that uncancel the season meeting and they got offended when the PA (without Goodenow) and the NHL (without Bettman) wanted to talk about the other systemic issues but the NHL really didn't want to, but rather dicuss the cap figure.

The meeting failed but what was the purpose if not to try to reach a deal based on the Final Offer Lemieux is talking about?.

According to rumours it was Lemieux, Domi and Tannenbaum that got those back door meetings going that trigger that event.

Yet now we are seeing the painstaking time it is taking to draw up the new CBA.

Strange !!..

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
MontrealCruiser_83 said:

Pshaw.

With the unprecedented turnover we're going to see, there's no telling what teams will look like. The Pens, in particular, have the room and motivation to add talent. So perhaps you were a bit hasty with your comment.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
e-townchamps said:
because they lost out on a year's salary for "never in a million years will we take a cap" talk...plus the fact they wouldn't accept linkage...
That means they lost the fight. Doesn't necesarily mean that the deal got a lot worse since February

MontrealCruiser_83*

Masao said:
The Habs aren't exactly cup contenders either.
Atleast the playoffs aren't ruled out for them before the season starts.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Komisarek8 said:
he spent 2 months in montreal and 5 years in pittsburgh. he had the best years of his career here and was only traded due to monetary reasons. if the pens offered a competitive contract i think he would jump on it.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Grave77digger said:
we'll see who's laughing when the Pens comes out swinging next season. 10+ straight years of playoffs followed by a cpl years of rebuilding does not make them a bad franchise.

It's not my fault if people have no memory. :dunno:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Hasbro said:
Considering a year's lost wages, I'll say yes.

Think Mario is getting a little satisfaction out of say "we told you so"? :sarcasm:

Probably not since he is also one of "them". One of those who was paid $5M in the last season, so he was also part of the problem.

And just because the players may have lost the fight, does not mean they won the war. We won't know who wins this war for many years. Remember the last fight was supposidly won by the owners but in the end the players won the war.

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I just hope that by Mario saying this that he didn't tick off too many players, and maybe make them think twice about voting for the deal. I mean, he's basically saying that the players got screwed, or "we showed them". I'd be kinda p'o-ed if I was a player after what he said.
He shoulda toed the line - "this is a fair deal for both sides", yadda, yadda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad