Lehtonen DOMINATES tonight. 53 saves on 54 shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Lehtonen32 said:
Is Fleury playing? I didn't think he was good enough to make the team :lol

He's a scratch. Not because he isn't good enough, because Chiodo and Caron have intangibles.

Chiodo is the heart and sould of that team and was the Baby Penguins goalie all season. You can't just push a guy off to the side because Fleury comes along. Chiodo is a proven goalie at the AHL level. Caron has much, much more playoff experience than Fleury.

If we were starting Martin Brochu you'd have a case, but the Penguins aren't exactly shallow in goal.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
To complete my point...

Andy Chiodo shuts out the Philadelphia Phantoms for the second consecutive game, stopping all 32 shots fired upon him tonight to put the Penguins up 3 games to 1.

Chiodo pulled a win out of his ass tonight as the Penguins were vastly outplayed.

Dextrous*

Sucks that tonight lehtonen sucked. 4-1 as of 4 minutes left in the 3rd. Chiodo lehtonen and Labarbera for Hartford have all been stellar in these playoffs. Id say if any of those 3 teams win the calder cup(and not rochester) that goalie is mvp. And about fleury theyre really is no reason to play him unless both chiodo and caron play badly as they earned theyre spot on the roster.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
Lehtonen gives up 5 tonight. :lol

Happens to everybody. It's the frequency of good/bad games I look at.

Personally, I'm not worried about him. We'll see if he can come back with a big performance next game. Something you always look at when a goalie has a bad day.

habsfan4life

Sep 5, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:

Personally, I'm not worried about him. We'll see if he can come back with a big performance next game. Something you always look at when a goalie has a bad day.

Well said... when is the next game?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Vlad The Impaler said:

I agree, but if Fleury did this who wants to bet there's 15 topics on it?

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
He's a scratch. Not because he isn't good enough, because Chiodo and Caron have intangibles.

Chiodo is the heart and sould of that team and was the Baby Penguins goalie all season. You can't just push a guy off to the side because Fleury comes along. Chiodo is a proven goalie at the AHL level. Caron has much, much more playoff experience than Fleury.

If we were starting Martin Brochu you'd have a case, but the Penguins aren't exactly shallow in goal.

I know, I was just teasing :D

I'd be the first to admit Lehtonen is starting to become 'over-hyped' heh..

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
It's oddly hypocritical of me to point an obvious bias?

I did not watch the game. Thus why I said I can't trust what he said. If I knew what happened, I'd know whether his report is accurate or not.

I do not know Eriks history. My comments concern his behavior in this matter only, where I feel he did a poor job of reporting on the game without getting overly emtotional.

No, your whining was what was hypocritical. My point was that you jumped to a steadfast conclusion without knowing anything of Eriks. You went in blind and started attacking. If you are going to attack someone for being unprofessional, atleast have the courtesy to do it in a professional fashion. And read the Chicago's owners comments. I think he's dead on with regards to the organizations lack of class. Especially when the radio announcers of Chicago were chiding their team for taking such dirty penalties (if only briefly).

It was nice that Chicago got destroyed in the next game though. All those fans who saw the "officiating fiasco" got to see an ass-kicking as well.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
In game 1, Lehtonen gave up 2 goals on 58 shots

In game 2, Lehtonen gave up 4 goals on 27 shots

In game 3, Lehtonen gave up 1 goal on 55 shots

In game 4, Lehtonen gave up 5 goals on 45 shots.

So far he's been hit or miss.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I should add, in support of Kari, that he didn't play too different from this game to the last. A hot goaltender stops 50 shots because he's got a wonderful combination of ability and luck. Anytime 50 shots are fired on net, it means that several more (maybe 15-20 more) were fired at the net. Any one of these 70 or so shots towards the net could have hit anything and gone in (see Leafs Flyers game were 2 went by Esche in this fashion). A hot goalie stops what he sees and what he doesn't see (luck and position do this). But a hot goalie also never has to face a two on one where the opposing team puts the puck where they want to. Or a shooter in all alone that does the same. To be a hot goalie, you need to get all the bounces AND when the bounces don't go your way, the shooter can't hit his spot. No matter how good a goalie is, if the shooter puts it where he intended, he's not going to save it (see Lemieux vs. Hasek, glove side high, Skills challenge breakaway). In game 3, Lehtonen got all the bounces. No pucks took bad deflections on him. There were no two on ones where the shooter put it where they wanted. When he had to get accross, he would dive accross and the puck would find him. In game 4, he did little different. Just this time the puck didn't find him. It took odd caroms; the shooters hit their mark. He was still incredible. He just wasn't as lucky this time around. In fact, one could say he was rather unlucky. All the Lehtonen naysayers are in for a sore time when this boy hits the NHL for good. These nights will even out in the long run and he'll be a stud. He's the only reason this series didn't end last night and that Chicago didn't go home embarrassed.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I read a handful of reports on this game, a couple from professional media and a couple from Wolves fans. I took the fans account of the game with a grain of salt, there's always gonna be some bias. Easier to filter out that bias with a report from a relatively unbiased source.

The one thing that came through loud and clear was the officiating was bad. Chicago deserved a fair amount of what they received in penalties, but from all accounts the ref gave them much more than they deserved (and that is a rather mild way of putting it). That's the way it came across to me.

I'll concede that the Anderson and Levin over-reacted, but only to a certain extent. Should those two have kept quiet when they felt their team was getting royally screwed and been happy the Wolves won the game? We'd all like to see the high-road taken and say yes, but that isn't always what will happen. It's a passionate sport, the heat of the moment can provoke some rather nasty comments and behaviors (and "the moment" just being an expression, the emotion can often last for days until it abates).

I'm not trying to excuse their reactions, to me they were a bit over-the-top. Just trying to point out that the comments calling the team and organization classless are a tad much given some of the circumstances. And yes, I'm familiar with the Wolves organization. But I get the feeling my bias for them is dwarfed by your bias against them. The endings to a couple of your last few posts, as well as defensiveness to some rather innocent comments before, shows that bias shining through. Not the classiest comments yourself, and rubbing in the fact that Chicago is on the verge of being knocked didn't help that at all.

I'll apologize if your still in "the moment", but I just felt that some of those comments were far from necessary.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
SmokeyClause said:
No, your whining was what was hypocritical. My point was that you jumped to a steadfast conclusion without knowing anything of Eriks.

I did not jump to any conclusions other than those that were clearly demonstrated.

SmokeyClause said:
You went in blind and started attacking. If you are going to attack someone for being unprofessional, atleast have the courtesy to do it in a professional fashion.

I am not a professional critique. Nor should I be expected to behave as such.

Are you being "professional" right now by attacking my lack of professionalism, BTW? :huh:

I don't know what is pissing you off, but I pointed out the bias and did not come any sort of hasty conclusion like you seem to think I am. I pointed out the lack composure by the guy and the fact I could thus not trust what he had to say. Which was the only conclusion I could come to under the circumstances.

It's called discernment and it has saved me from being misled too many times (on this site and elsewhere) for me to ignore this.

I think you're just pissed because I'm pointing out one of "your boy" wrote a poor report while being still visibly upset by whatever he saw. You do have a tendancy to put the blinders pretty quick the minute Predators matters are discussed...

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Fleury was kinda put into a bad position. He kinda just stepped in out of nowhere and was expected to shine. Lehtonen on the other hand has been in the AHL all season and is obviously used to the pase and what it takes to win. Fleury had just come of a disappointing playoff run in the Q.

popperbolt*

Vlad The Impaler said:

thats how to rebound :D
43 saves on 44 shots for a 2-1 win like pacchoo said

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Looks like the Thrashers have no defense in Chicago either. Hell, look at those shot totals.

Imagine what the kid could do if the team tightened up in front of him. Say 24-28 shots per game!

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Kari has 40 or more saves in 4 straight games now. It is amazing that the Wolves haven't been swept having been outshot almost 2 to 1 every game of West Division Final (230 shots vs 156 shots). Kari has faced an average of 46 shots per game this series. :eek: With any other goalie in the AHL, i think the Wolves would have already been eliminated by now.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
SmokeyClause said:
In game 1, Lehtonen gave up 2 goals on 58 shots

In game 2, Lehtonen gave up 4 goals on 27 shots

In game 3, Lehtonen gave up 1 goal on 55 shots

In game 4, Lehtonen gave up 5 goals on 45 shots.

So far he's been hit or miss.

I think the only miss so far has been game 2. Game 4 wasn't perfect, but there's no way of really knowing how those goals happened if you didn't see the game (I didn't). As far as I know, they might have been 3-on-1 attacks that left no chace for him anyway. And that's still quite a lot of shots on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad