Lehtonen DOMINATES tonight. 53 saves on 54 shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Lehtonen DOMINATES tonight. 54 Saves on 55 Shots!

:eek:

Lehtonen would not be denied tonight. Despite being outshot 55 to 25 the Chicago Wolves pulled off a 2-1 win, mainly due to Lehtonen's amazing performance.

So far in the AHL Playoffs Lehtonen's stats:

4 Wins - 2 Losses
.950 Save Percentage (249 Saves on 262 shots)
1.857 GAA

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Yeah, well...I bet Chiodo could beat him up!

Chiodo has had a great tournament too. I think he was perfect tonight, 18 saves on 18 shots.

But Lehtonen's 54 saves on 55 shots performance is amazing, especially since the Wolves themselves only had 25 shots. The Wolves deserved to lose this game 4-1 or 5-1, but Lehtonen wouldn't let that happen.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Yes, Chiodo has been doing well, but I wasn't comparing him to Lehtonen.

Chiodo got into a fight with Nittymaki tonight and apparently dominated.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
He just keeps getting stronger.

Remember that he is still a kid--maturing physically, emotionally and still "learning the North American" game. He said so himself!

Hell, he's playing games in May and started playing in prospect camp last July. This is a long gruelling road for a kid and he just gets better. He does seem to play better when the stakes are higher. Wait until he gets "comfortable" :eek:

One other thing I'll say about Kari: When he played for the Thrashers this year there was no doubt that the team played much better in front of him. It appeared that the team's confidence and calmness radiated from Kari. Could have been my imagination (or just fantasy?) but that special quality that great goalies have to inspire their teams is evident in Lehtonen.

It will not be long before he's playing into May for the Thrashers :yo:

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Holy Off Topic Batman.

Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Two for two in fights this year, but up Emery in the regular season and destroyed Niittymaki today.

Emery pummelled Chiodo when they fought. He admitted as much in an article run in the Ottawa Sun a while ago (apparently it was newsworthy because both Emery & Chiodo are Spezza's best friends).

Safir*

:bow: Kari Lethonen :bow:

It feels good to know that he's on one of my favorite teams. :D

I feel a little sorry for Finnish hockey fans that Kari was still in the playoffs. Just imagine, what would have happend, if he was in goal for Soumi at the World Championships.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Voodoo said:
Emery pummelled Chiodo when they fought. He admitted as much in an article run in the Ottawa Sun a while ago (apparently it was newsworthy because both Emery & Chiodo are Spezza's best friends).

I love that article. Spezza got 2 calls the next day with completely opposite stories. :lol:

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
What is really impressive is that Lehtonen was blocking tons of 5 on 3 shots last night. The officiating was horrible in the game.

The Admirals had 35 minutes of penalites called on them last night while the Wolves had 97 minutes!!! :eek:

The Admirals had 18 powerplays and 9, count them, 9!!! 2 man advantages. No wonder Lehtonen had to stop 54 of 55 shots.

"Chicago (5-2) and Milwaukee combined for 132 penalty minutes, provoking Chairman of the Board Don Levin to make an unprecedented offer: "Due to the questionable officiating which I feel is unrepresentative of AHL playoff hockey, any fan who was at Game 3 can present that ticket stub at the Allstate Arena Ticket Office, and receive a free ticket for Game 4 on Monday."

That's awesome. :)

Here is a post about Lehtonen's reactions after the game by a fan on the Chicago Wolves website:

"Kari was phenomenal! I cannot believe how good he was, how about how pumped up he was when it was over? Not only is he a fantastic goalie but he's a great person, at the end of the game after he got the #1 star he gave his stick to a little girl in the stands. Completely classy move by a classy individual."

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Chicago showed what a classless organization they were last night. One of the higher ups in the organization told the refs to leave town immediately and never come back. The penalties were called that way because Chicago was going out of their way to goon it up. Chicago has one good player (Lehtonen) and they know it. He was on fire tonight and got all the bounces. That's what good goalies do. It's just a shame he did it for a classless team.

Read Eriks recap of the game's events.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=1349094#post1349094

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Congrates to both Kari and Chiodo. I think Kari, Fleury, and Luongo are going to be three goalies to really watch in the future(Luongo already is).

Chiodo is a fighter, mentally and physically. No I wish I had only got to actually see the fight and not just listen to it over the internet.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
SmokeyClause said:
Chicago showed what a classless organization they were last night. One of the higher ups in the organization told the refs to leave town immediately and never come back. The penalties were called that way because Chicago was going out of their way to goon it up. Chicago has one good player (Lehtonen) and they know it. He was on fire tonight and got all the bounces. That's what good goalies do. It's just a shame he did it for a classless team.

Read Eriks recap of the game's events.

Eriks' recap sounds like some unobjective Pred fans whining unprofessionally.

The fact is, the Admirals had 17 powerplays and couldn't find it in them to man up and win the freaking game. Now that "reporter" with a Preds logo goes on a rant.

I do not understand how this is a sad day when this is "rewarded by a win", as Eriks put it. The penalties were called. It was up to the Ads to step up.

This puts the rest of his "reporting" of the fact *highly* suspicious. I have read 2-3 articles done by pros with no fanboy agendas, and no one is making it sound like this Eriks guy. Now, maybe he's right. Maybe he's telling the truth. Maybe they did measure a guy's stick for 30 minutes. Maybe they did kick an official out of town.

But I won't believe it until I read it from an article written by a grown up.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I really love Kari. I just wish our national team coach will be wise enough to play him in the World Cup instead of Kiprusoff. Or at least if they play Kiprusoff, it should be because he's doing better at that time, not because he's more experienced.

Those two + Niittymäki = good looking goalie situation for Team Finland in the future. I wouldn't even mind seeing Nurminen there, but I think these three are slightly better.

And the future is not looking too bad either. Lehtonen and Niittymäki are still very young, but you can also count on the current juniors. The 87 born Tuukka Rask is looking really promising and will surely be one of Finland's top goalies in the future.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
Chicago has one good player (Lehtonen) and they know it.

Foster, Santala, Stewart, Blatny, McKenzie, etc. Not bad, and those are just the Thrashers prospects.

No offense, but I would not be ragging on the Thrashers farm team when 3 of the Admirals top 11 scorers were in the Thrashers system last year.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
btn said:
Foster, Santala, Stewart, Blatny, McKenzie, etc. Not bad, and those are just the Thrashers prospects.

No offense, but I would not be ragging on the Thrashers farm team when 3 of the Admirals top 11 scorers were in the Thrashers system last year.

No offense taken because no offense can be taken. That nice little statistic has a bearing on what now?

Chicago isn't exactly loaded with talent. Foster has a good bit of it, but I'm not sure he's got the right head on his shoulders. Santala, Stewart, Blatny and McKenzie are all semi-decent prospects but they are all .5 pt per game scorers in the A. You won't be making me drool like that.

They are a really good team, but let's not kid ourselves. With an average goalie, this team isn't going to be impressing anyone. That was my point.

As for Vlad, Eriks isn't really a Preds fan as much as an Ads fan. And he's never really shown a bad homer tendency until tonight. And your whining about his whining strikes me as oddly hypocritical. It's amazing how firm your convictions can be when you know little to nothing about anyone or anything involved in this issue. Did you see the game? Do you know Eriks history? You seemed to evolve an incredibly firm opinion on one post. Bravo!

Devo-2

Apr 1, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
As the Amerks await the winner (possible Lehtonen v. Miller), the Rochester D&C put this in today's paper:

Playoff fiasco: After watching referee Harry Dumas assess 25 penalties for 77 minutes on his team, give the Milwaukee Admirals 16 power plays and eject his coach after two periods (John Anderson), Chicago Wolves chairman Don Levin blew a gasket late Saturday.

â€This referee made a predetermined decision on who would win the game, and at the end of the game it wasn’t the team he picked,†The Chicago Sun-Times quoted Levin as saying. “He should be ashamed of himself. He should never officiate any game ever again. He’s a blemish on the AHL.â€

All this after his team, the Wolves, won 3-1 to cut the Admirals lead in the West Division finals to 2-1.

He wasn’t finished, however. Embarrassed because his fans had to witness the game, Levin said all ticket stubs for Game 3 may be redeemed for a free ticket to Game 4 tonight.

Mark Cuban, the flamboyant owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, has nothing on this guy.

The Amerks and Bulldogs apparently should consider themselves lucky. Dumas worked an uneventful opening game of their series.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/amerks/0510IP46M0N_sports.shtml

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
BTW, which stat do you people find better when looking at goalies, GAA or SVS%, and why?

I like the SVS%, because it's easy to keep your net clean if your team only allows the other team to shoot 10-25 shots per game. Or at least it should be.

And that's why I always wonder why every stats-site lists goalies according the GAA.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
SmokeyClause said:
As for Vlad, Eriks isn't really a Preds fan as much as an Ads fan. And he's never really shown a bad homer tendency until tonight. And your whining about his whining strikes me as oddly hypocritical.

It's oddly hypocritical of me to point an obvious bias?

SmokeyClause said:
It's amazing how firm your convictions can be when you know little to nothing about anyone or anything involved in this issue. Did you see the game? Do you know Eriks history? You seemed to evolve an incredibly firm opinion on one post. Bravo!

I did not watch the game. Thus why I said I can't trust what he said. If I knew what happened, I'd know whether his report is accurate or not.

I do not know Eriks history. My comments concern his behavior in this matter only, where I feel he did a poor job of reporting on the game without getting overly emtotional.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
I think save percentage is much more important and telling than Goals Against Average. GAA penaizes a goalie for facing more shots than another guy.

Lehtonen leads the AHL playoffs in Save Percentage for guys who have faced 100 shots or more, with a .951 percentage :) 2nd is Jason Labrera with a .950 Save Percentage.

Oh, and Lehtonen is also the 2nd youngest goalie in the AHL Playoffs. :bow:

Only MA Fleury is younger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->