Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
velimiiro said:
Hahaha, good im glad. MA Fleury > Lethonen

Yeah, that is pretty funny.

Actually, you should find this hilarious then. Fleury has had a disaster of a start - 1-3, 4.12 GAA and a .868 Save %. Some of the worst stats in the AHL.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be judging either goalie on their early start in a handful of games.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
My only problem was that people started overrating him based on the games he played at the end of last season. He was spectacular, don't get me wrong, but all goalies go on hot streaks and you can't expect any of them to play every game like that.

velimiiro

Dr.Sens(e) said:

Actually, you should find this hilarious then. Fleury has had a disaster of a start - 1-3, 4.12 GAA and a .868 Save %. Some of the worst stats in the AHL.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be judging either goalie on their early start in a handful of games.

:(

Safir*

Yeah it sucks, but isn't normal to be in a slump during your 2nd professional year?

The Wolves are not a great team anyway this year. See their season preview, here

Lehtonen will need to be stellar in net as the rest of the Wolves line-up does not compare favorably to the rest of the league, stocked up due to the lockout. It could be a long year in Chicago for a fanbase used to winning unless some of the youngsters step up quickly

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Tha ACE said:
Yeah it sucks, but isn't normal to be in a slump during your 2nd professional year?

The Wolves are not a great team anyway this year. See their season preview, here
True, but Luongo has been in the same position in Florida for the last little while, playing against teams that were just plain better, and look at his stats.

I always felt Lehtonen was overrated, but still a pretty darn good prospect, and if he is anywhere close to what people hype him as, he will end the season with good stats, and or show that he can carry a weak team. Guys hyped that much just don't have poor seasons.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
luongofan said:
My only problem was that people started overrating him based on the games he played at the end of last season. He was spectacular, don't get me wrong, but all goalies go on hot streaks and you can't expect any of them to play every game like that.

That was in the playoffs right?

strange coincidence, Lehtonen turned into a brick wall during the SM-Liiga playoffs during his breakout/debut year (season after which he was drafted)

So 2 playoffs, 2 great performances..

Yeah, I'd rave about that at such a young age!

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
2000-01 Jokerit SM-liiga 4 3 1 0 1.90 .937
2001-02 Jokerit SM-liiga 23 13 5 2 1.79 .941
2002-03 Jokerit SM-liiga 49 23 14 6 1.98
2003-04 Chicago (AHL) 39 20 14 2 2.41 .926
Atlanta (NHL) 4 4 0 0 1.26 .953
*2003-04 playoffs Chicago (AHL) 10 6 4 0 2.08 .942
2004-05 Chicago Wolves AHL 5 2 3 0 3.78 .888

Yes, 5 games with a 88% save percentage ruined this young man's career, bust...

Come on guys, claiming he is overrated because of a 5 game streak is ridiculous. The rest of this guys career, about 140 professional games, seem to justify the hype. This is a silly thread.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AJ1982 said:
2000-01 Jokerit SM-liiga 4 3 1 0 1.90 .937
2001-02 Jokerit SM-liiga 23 13 5 2 1.79 .941
2002-03 Jokerit SM-liiga 49 23 14 6 1.98
2003-04 Chicago (AHL) 39 20 14 2 2.41 .926
Atlanta (NHL) 4 4 0 0 1.26 .953
*2003-04 playoffs Chicago (AHL) 10 6 4 0 2.08 .942
2004-05 Chicago Wolves AHL 5 2 3 0 3.78 .888

Yes, 5 games with a 88% save percentage ruined this young man's career, bust...

Come on guys, claiming he is overrated because of a 5 game streak is ridiculous. The rest of this guys career, about 140 professional games, seem to justify the hype. This is a silly thread.

These are the same people trying define Ryan Whitney by his poor start. Let's give these guys some time people......... :banghead:

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Rancid said:
Lundqvist seems to be doing quite well. He is hands down the best goalie in the SEL or possibly in europe right now.

:lol: What the ****?!? :shakehead

Are you serious? :eek:

What about Miikka Kiprusoff and Fredrik Norrena. They're quite close to Lundqvist's numbers. And their just from Sweden!

Lundqvist SV% 94,52, GAA 1,54
Kiprusoff SV% 93,56, GAA 1,57
Norrena SV% 92,86, GAA 1,94

What I see, is that Lundqvist has A LITTLE better numbers. Not really a hands down kind of numbers. And then there's the fact that Lundqvist does play for the ruling champions, if I remember correctly.

Goalies in Finland I consider to be better, as good, or close to Lundqvist's level. Dwayne Roloson, Pasi Nurminen, Niklas Bäckström and Tim Thomas.

And that's just Finland. There's Switzerland, Czech Republic and Russia, that may have better goalies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Diaboli said:
:lol: What the ****?!? :shakehead

Are you serious? :eek:

What about Miikka Kiprusoff and Fredrik Norrena. They're quite close to Lundqvist's numbers. And their just from Sweden! ....

Goalies in Finland I consider to be better, as good, or close to Lundqvist's level. Dwayne Roloson, Pasi Nurminen, Niklas Bäckström and Tim Thomas.

And that's just Finland. There's Switzerland, Czech Republic and Russia, that may have better goalies.

Could he not have been referring solely about prospects?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
lundqvists team wasn't the champion last year, liv's was

lundqvist had the second best #'s last year in the swedish league, this year he has the best #'s...and he's 22. it's not quite fair to compare him to kippursoff since kippur is a NHL starting goalie who took his team on his back to the cup finals...but lundqvist has shown he can hold his own against top flight goalies in the swedish league at least and he was very strong in the world championships as well

just cuz he wasn't a 1st rounder and hyped up beyond comprehension like fleury and lehetonen doesn't mean he's not a damn good goalie and prospect...he's one of the best out there IMO.

though i'm not sure why he was mentioned in this thread to begin with

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
007 said:
:eek: Such a high SV% and GAA! He must have been getting pummeled with shots! :amazed:

He is a lot like Luongo... he gives himself a lot more work than he needs to... he's quick enough to make 4 or 5 saves in a flurry, but most of the times there shouldn't have even been a 2nd shot.

It's something that will come with experience, and better technique.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Miller, Ryan 3GP 0W 3L 0T 15GA 5.64GAA .833s%

Fleury, Marc-Andre 4GP 1W 3L 0T 15GA 4.12GAA .868s%

Lehtonen, Kari 5GP 2W 3L 0T 18GA 3.78GAA .888s%

Even guys like Emery, Nittymaki and Ouellet have pretty bad stats.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:

Fleury hasn't been the disaster, he's looked fairly strong.

But yeah, way too early to start questioning Fleury OR Lehtonen.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Miller, Ryan 3GP 0W 3L 0T 15GA 5.64GAA .833s%

Fleury, Marc-Andre 4GP 1W 3L 0T 15GA 4.12GAA .868s%

Lehtonen, Kari 5GP 2W 3L 0T 18GA 3.78GAA .888s%

Even guys like Emery, Nittymaki and Ouellet have pretty bad stats.

LaBarbera, Jason 3GP 3W 0L 0T 3GA 1.00GAA .964s%

:D

(you know i'm just playin around...)

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Levitate said:
lundqvists team wasn't the champion last year, liv's was

lundqvist had the second best #'s last year in the swedish league, this year he has the best #'s...and he's 22. it's not quite fair to compare him to kippursoff since kippur is a NHL starting goalie who took his team on his back to the cup finals...but lundqvist has shown he can hold his own against top flight goalies in the swedish league at least and he was very strong in the world championships as well

just cuz he wasn't a 1st rounder and hyped up beyond comprehension like fleury and lehetonen doesn't mean he's not a damn good goalie and prospect...he's one of the best out there IMO.

though i'm not sure why he was mentioned in this thread to begin with

True. But to say, that Lundqvist "owns" SEL, is a big exaggeration IMO. I don't care that he's not a 1st round pick. He's damn good, I'm not denying that. Haven't most NHL starters been drafted somewhere else than in the 1st round?

BTW, if he only ment prospects (as dawgbone suggested), then I'd say it's a bad comparison. There aren't many good goalie prospects in SEL. I remember four prospects, who are starters. Lundqvist, Kristian Antila (91,40%, GAA 2,74), Rastislav Stana (92,60%, GAA 2,27) and of course Stefan Liv (87,67%, GAA 3,62)

Out of those prospects two are goalies, that are assumed to get to NHL some day, Lundqvist and Liv. Lundqvist has totally owned Liv, but not the two other, who aren't even considered top prospects.

X-SHARKIE

WTF? Has anyone here even seen Lehtonen play this year?

I've seen him twice now and both vs Milwaukee.

The Wolves defenseman aren't the smartest bunch this year from what I can tell and Lehtonen has to make some highlight saves and often is scored on rebounds because his defenders don't control the area in front of the net.

Lehtonen by no means is playing bad, but his team does play bad in front of him.

Lehtonen is still the best prospect in the NHL and is one of the funnest goalies i've ever watched....he's huge with insane reflexes and athleticism.....

:bow: Lehtonen.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Fleury has played well also, its just his team isn't doing a damn thing right. He keeps them in the game, only for the defense to have massive breakdowns with five minutes left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->