Legal issues of firing Gary Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
- A question I can't seem to get an answer, what would it take for the BOG to fire Gary Bettman? Is it a simple majority (16) or two-thirds (20).

Now the grounds for firing Gary Bettman (and no it isn't that he couldn't get a deal)
The debacle in New York was and is inexcusable; furthermore the statement Bettman made regarding being duped is grounds to fire with cause. The cause his decision to expose the league, its reputation to ridicule and ruination directly as a result of his decision to hold Saturday’s meeting and his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were.

Furthermore as a result of his misguided judgment, Gary Bettman managed to tarnish the image of two of the sports icons, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Let me make a great analogy for you. Imagine Michael Eisner as CEO for Disney has an opportunity to save the Company. As a grandstand gesture he believes he needs to bring two of Disney’s greatest icons to the meetings, two symbols of everything that’s good about everything the Disney brand stands for. Eisner brings Mickey and Donald to the meeting, Gary brought Wayne and Mario. Now I’m not saying Wayne is Mickey and Mario is Donald, just that to each brand they represent all that is good with that brand and you know if anyone stepped on Mickey’s big enough feet or Donald’s web toes they’d pay the price. As Gary Bettman must

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Not sure but the BOG is only 8 guys, not 30. So if they are the only ones to vote on who is commish, than majority is 5 not 16.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
nyr7andcounting said:
Not sure but the BOG is only 8 guys, not 30. So if they are the only ones to vote on who is commish, than majority is 5 not 16.

No. The Board of Governors is 30 guys - one from each team.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
A vote on Bettman's future would be held all 30 teams one would think, but again this is a great story for someone to track down the number of votes Bettman needs to save his butt

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
Oh and the most important note, the media has said there are eight owners controlling this along with Bettman. If he can be fired by 16 or 20 votes (and it can't be more then 20), Bettman needs more then eight votes to control this process beyond next Tuesday

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
Joe_Strummer said:
Bettman's got support from 16 owners ... he's not going to be fired at this point in time
I'd ten to agree with that, so why are certain member members saying only eight owners are supporting Bettman when clearly that isn't the case

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
RedSoxNation said:
- A question I can't seem to get an answer, what would it take for the BOG to fire Gary Bettman? Is it a simple majority (16) or two-thirds (20).

Now the grounds for firing Gary Bettman (and no it isn't that he couldn't get a deal)
The debacle in New York was and is inexcusable; furthermore the statement Bettman made regarding being duped is grounds to fire with cause. The cause his decision to expose the league, its reputation to ridicule and ruination directly as a result of his decision to hold Saturday’s meeting and his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were.

Furthermore as a result of his misguided judgment, Gary Bettman managed to tarnish the image of two of the sports icons, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Let me make a great analogy for you. Imagine Michael Eisner as CEO for Disney has an opportunity to save the Company. As a grandstand gesture he believes he needs to bring two of Disney’s greatest icons to the meetings, two symbols of everything that’s good about everything the Disney brand stands for. Eisner brings Mickey and Donald to the meeting, Gary brought Wayne and Mario. Now I’m not saying Wayne is Mickey and Mario is Donald, just that to each brand they represent all that is good with that brand and you know if anyone stepped on Mickey’s big enough feet or Donald’s web toes they’d pay the price. As Gary Bettman must

So the PA uses Mario and Gretzky as their pawns in a PR stunt and Bettman should get fired?
He was duped, but what was he supposed to do? Not meet with the players? He's under the impression that they're going to make an offer, an offer he probably won't fully agree with. So he's supposed to ignore them?

That's great. The NHLPA uses two hockey icons to gain leverage in a negotiation and you call for Bettman to be fired for "his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were".

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
MLH said:
So the PA uses Mario and Gretzky as their pawns in a PR stunt and Bettman should get fired?
He was duped, but what was he supposed to do? Not meet with the players? He's under the impression that they're going to make an offer, an offer he probably won't fully agree with. So he's supposed to ignore them?

That's great. The NHLPA uses two hockey icons to gain leverage in a negotiation and you call for Bettman to be fired for "his inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were".

He gets that offer on paper, he makes sure its a real offer and not the garbage that managed to take place

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
RedSoxNation said:
Oh and the most important note, the media has said there are eight owners controlling this along with Bettman. If he can be fired by 16 or 20 votes (and it can't be more then 20), Bettman needs more then eight votes to control this process beyond next Tuesday

And after this weekend, it's obvious we should believe everything the hockey press is telling us.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I think Gary has pretty decent support from the owners. Remember that just because they don't vote for a deal, it doesn't mean he doesn't have their support (& vice-versa but I think the former is more likely).

If the PA had something to offer, it was incumbent on Bettman to listen. He owed the league & the fans that. I suspect the owners place more of the blame for where they are today on Goodenow (as some of them have said in the media).

As well, the meeting was already set before The Hockey News really stirred the pot with their story (which they have apologized for). Do they fire Bettman because a trade rag screwed up ?

I'm no big fan of Bettman. If the player distrust Bettman a lot, then a new face may justify his removal. I have a feeling though that the root of their distrust goes back to the hardline owners.

Now that fans have been apraised of what really happened on Saturday, I think the league has recovered some. I don't see a big tarnishing of Mario & Wayne.

Another ideal time for change is once the deal is signed. Then the owners can put a new face on the job to begin the healing with the PA.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
MLH said:

No matter whose side you are on, they both need to go. Neither one of them has gotten the job done. Neither the players nor the owners have won, so I say both need to go and start with some fresh blood and then just maybe they could make some headway.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
RedSoxNation said:
He gets that offer on paper, he makes sure its a real offer and not the garbage that managed to take place

So instead of meeting, discussing, and negotiating you want them to write letters back and forth. Bettman said he wasn't sure if saving the season was logistically possible, but he didn't go as far as to say it was impossible. If he's under the impression that they are somewhat close to a deal, a notion intentionally leaked by the PA, the best thing to do is meet face to face. Keep in mind this was (IMO) set up by the PA. It was a charade. They wanted Bettman to look foolish. It's not hard to mislead someone.

If anyone should be fired it should be Goodenow for using hockey fans and icons as pawns.

A Good Flying Bird*

RedSoxNation said:

I want Bettman fired.
But it ain't gonna happen. Not right now. The owners have gone this far. They APPEAR to have the players by the nutz. It makes no sense for these guys to cut and run at this point.
Bettman has ruined the sport in too many ways to list. But for the owners, their investment comes down to a salary cap. And my gut tells me that they want a $30 Million cap. That's what Bettman will try to get them.
If he fails, he'll be fired.

I also take issue with the idea that Wayne and Mario somehow got stiffed.
They did their part to try to bring the two sides together. But both guys are on the owners side of the table. Both are part owners in franchises that are struggling. They're both interested in saving hockey. But their main interest is to spur negotiations to get a deal that will be profittable for them.
Do you think Bill Wirtz gives a crap what Gretzky has to say?
They don't have any more clout than anyone else.
They gave it a shot.
They couldn't bring the thing together.
No one else has been able to do it either.

If anything, I applaud them for atleast getting involved ... a little late, mind you.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Icey said:
No matter whose side you are on, they both need to go. Neither one of them has gotten the job done. Neither the players nor the owners have won, so I say both need to go and start with some fresh blood and then just maybe they could make some headway.

IMO, Goodenow needs to be fired now, Bettman needs to resign once the deal is signed.

A Good Flying Bird*

MLH said:

Right. The players tricked these guys into the whole thing.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
RedSoxNation said:

You're not reaching or anything. :lol

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bettman will not be fired

1. he seems to have support of a majority of owners

2. the NHL is "winning" this war. They have won the best concessions, they have the cap, they still have the upper hand.

3. Bettman has been staying out of a lot of the negotiations

4. sacking Bettman would be taken as a signing of weakness by the NHLPA. this would prolong the war. Goodenow will only be sacked if the NHLPA give in and he refuses to do their bidding for similar reasons of perceived weakness.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
RedSoxNation said:
Funny stuff.

1. He did not make a "decision to expose the league, [sic] its reputation to ridicule and ruination." He made a decision to meet Association representatives in good faith at their request. Sorry. Acting upon a lie that was spread with malicious intent is not grounds for firing.

2. "His inability to properly judge what the intentions of the NHLPA were" in this case would mean his being able to read Goodenow's mind and say "He's lying. This entire thing is a scam, including humiliating the two reatest hockey players ever."

Yeah. Someone who was gunning for Bettman might be able to make that case. :shakehead

Wetcoaster

nyrmessier011 said:
no hold on, the board of governors has 8 guys...and they are the ones who control Bettmans fate
The NHL Board of Governors consists of one representative from each of the 30 teams. The current Chairman is Harley Hochkiss of the Calgary Flames ownership group.

The eight members refers to the super majority that Bettman has to recommend against a CBA deal. If Bettman opposes a deal then all he needs is eight votes on his side to reject a proposed CBA or put another way 23 votes at the BOG would overrule Bettman's recommendation of rejection.

The NBA has a similar rule which is from where the NHL lifted it.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
The NHL Board of Governors consists of one representative from each of the 30 teams. The current Chairman is Harley Hochkiss of the Calgary Flames ownership group.

The eight members refers to the super majority that Bettman has to recommend against a CBA deal. If Bettman opposes a deal then all he needs is eight votes on his side to reject a proposed CBA or put another way 23 votes at the BOG would overrule Bettman's recommendation of rejection.

The NBA has a similar rule which is from where the NHL lifted it.

Who controls the job security of Bob Goodenow, the PA exec headed by Trevor Linden or each of the 750 PA members? If Goodenow was to be fired, wouldn't the process be started and finished by the PA executive committee?

Just wondering.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Icey said:
gary's and his people were and are willing to blow up this season - bob has told the players to be ready for no hockey for two year's - no one's going anywhere -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad