LeftKingers 2 Round Mock Draft

The Fuhr*

Ill take Ottawa

Going to keep an eye on who you pick George as I am in the SNHL with you.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Corona-12 said:
I believe this means Irish Blues' turn has come to draft for St. Louis, we have 30 people...
let's just give him Kessel and get this thing moving

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I assume IB will be on to pick in the morning sometime tommorow, as he seems to visit every day. I have to work tommorow and I'm not quite sure what the hours will be (I have a very flexible job with a friend), but as long as the first pick is made, the absolute latest I could see me making the pick is around 6 PM. I'm guessing I'll be home in the afternoon sometime.

Just an FYI for the teams picking after me.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
With the 1st pick in the 2006 NHL entry Draft the St. Louis Blues are proud to select Eric Johnson. :yo:
The Penguins are now on the clock.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
With the second overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, the Penguins are proud to select, from Brynas of the Swedish Elite League, F - Nicklas Backstrom.

We wrestled back and forth with who to pick, as we have the top 5 or so forwards rated very closely. In the end we decided to go with Backstrom because we feel that all of the forwards offensive upsides are fairly close, and we like what we see with Backstrom in being the total package of a forward for us. We see him as a versatile player who can help out with many roles on our team and also play different positions as needed. His heady, mature game combined with great offensive prowess make us very glad to have him in the fold.

Since a lot of people were probably expecting a different pick, I'll give a quick rundown on why I chose Backstrom over the other three highly rated forwards, if anyone cares.

Toews = He along with Backstrom were the two I had the most trouble seperating. They both actually have similar upsides IMO, so when push came to shove, I liked the already seasoned pro. Even though I like going to the NCAA and the Pens have several times in the past few years, Backstrom's accomplishments in a pro league are second to nobody at the top of this draft class. It's one of the biggest things that sets him apart.

Kessel - Seemingly the most favored pick for the Pens, Kessel is a player whose offensive talent I would have no problem with rooting for. But, I will admit that some of the legitimate concerns with Kessel that I've read do scare me away a little bit, and I think having a high end forward like Backstrom who I think can project to be a Zetterberg or Lehtinen type is more valuable in the longrun than a true out and out offensive threat. That kind of player is one I think you add after your team is already good, not the kind you try to build around. Bottom line is that I like Backstrom more as a compliment to Malkin or Crosby.

Staal - Although all four of the players I'm talking about are listed as centers, Staal seems to be one of the most prototypical centers in the draft, meaning he will almost assuredly play there when/if he gets to the NHL. Simply put, we don't have the room. I also think that as of now the rest of the players are a slight bit better, and I'd even go as far as to say that some guys not listed here I would rate almost evenly with him. So the bottom line here is that he is a player for another team picking after us. His upside in my mind doesn't make him the BPA anyways, so we pass.

I know it may seem like my draft board is a lot different than the norm, but I have no problems with that. I'd be thrilled to have the Pens actually get Backstrom, but I'd be almost equally as happy with either Kessel or Toews. Backstrom would be my pick, and that's why we're here.

Chicago is on the clock at pick three. I'll PM the GM.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
MrKnowNothing said:
With the second overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, the Penguins are proud to select, from Brynas of the Swedish Elite League, F - Nicklas Backstrom.

We wrestled back and forth with who to pick, as we have the top 5 or so forwards rated very closely. In the end we decided to go with Backstrom because we feel that all of the forwards offensive upsides are fairly close, and we like what we see with Backstrom in being the total package of a forward for us. We see him as a versatile player who can help out with many roles on our team and also play different positions as needed. His heady, mature game combined with great offensive prowess make us very glad to have him in the fold.

Since a lot of people were probably expecting a different pick, I'll give a quick rundown on why I chose Backstrom over the other three highly rated forwards, if anyone cares.

Toews = He along with Backstrom were the two I had the most trouble seperating. They both actually have similar upsides IMO, so when push came to shove, I liked the already seasoned pro. Even though I like going to the NCAA and the Pens have several times in the past few years, Backstrom's accomplishments in a pro league are second to nobody at the top of this draft class. It's one of the biggest things that sets him apart.

Kessel - Seemingly the most favored pick for the Pens, Kessel is a player whose offensive talent I would have no problem with rooting for. But, I will admit that some of the legitimate concerns with Kessel that I've read do scare me away a little bit, and I think having a high end forward like Backstrom who I think can project to be a Zetterberg or Lehtinen type is more valuable in the longrun than a true out and out offensive threat. That kind of player is one I think you add after your team is already good, not the kind you try to build around. Bottom line is that I like Backstrom more as a compliment to Malkin or Crosby.

Staal - Although all four of the players I'm talking about are listed as centers, Staal seems to be one of the most prototypical centers in the draft, meaning he will almost assuredly play there when/if he gets to the NHL. Simply put, we don't have the room. I also think that as of now the rest of the players are a slight bit better, and I'd even go as far as to say that some guys not listed here I would rate almost evenly with him. So the bottom line here is that he is a player for another team picking after us. His upside in my mind doesn't make him the BPA anyways, so we pass.

I know it may seem like my draft board is a lot different than the norm, but I have no problems with that. I'd be thrilled to have the Pens actually get Backstrom, but I'd be almost equally as happy with either Kessel or Toews. Backstrom would be my pick, and that's why we're here.

Chicago is on the clock at pick three. I'll PM the GM.
Nice pick.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
-31- said:
looks like Kessel may fall to me

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Blackhawks of Chicago is in the obligation to take Elite Forward Phil Kessel, from the university of Minnesota

His elite speed and skills will serve our organization pretty well.

(My choice was between Backstrom and Kessel, so now that Backstrom was taken at #2, it made my decision obvious)

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
With the 4th pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft...The Washington Capitals select...

C Derrick Brassard
A bit of a surprise but this is insiders pick.

Boston is now on the clock.

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
LeftKinger said:
With the 4th pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft...The Washington Capitals select...

C Derrick Brassard
A bit of a surprise but this is insiders pick.

Boston is now on the clock.

Nah thats not a surprise...if that really happens you'll see why. Brassard and Ovechkin would be a dominant line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad