Lee Stempniak vs. Hugh Jessiman

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Just wanted to point out to those that may not have noticed, Stempniak has 20 goals and 20 assists in 60 some odd games this year. Add the fact that it's on a very average Blues offense and it's even more impressive.

Just a heads up to those that attributed Stempniak's college production to Jessiman being on the same line. Where's Hugh been these past couple of years?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
am i suppsed to say that stempniak is 10 times the player jessiman will ever be?? because he probably is.

JR#9*

Hugh has been playing horrible for a while now. He was putting up average numebers in the ECHL but he was recently called up to hartford and seems to be playing a litller player. He will mos't likely be a bust

Randall Graves*

I am so happy Anaheim ended up with Getzlaf and not Kostitsyn or Jessiman..

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I am so happy Anaheim ended up with Getzlaf and not Kostitsyn or Jessiman..

oh man i wish the wings had getzlaf. i love him.

the ducks really had a good draft in 2003. getting both getzlaf and perry. and both of them came late in the first round. its just sick. getting two top players with #19 and #28 pick. i dont think there is a ducks fan in the world that is unhappy with the 03 draft. they also drafted shane o'brien in the 8th round in 03. not a bad pick in the 8th round, but i guess you dont care about him anymore becasue he is in tampa;)

Randall Graves*

oh man i wish the wings had getzlaf. i love him.

the ducks really had a good draft in 2003. getting both getzlaf and perry. and both of them came late in the first round. its just sick. getting two top players with #19 and #28 pick. i dont think there is a ducks fan in the world that is unhappy with the 03 draft. they also drafted shane o'brien in the 8th round in 03. not a bad pick in the 8th round, but i guess you dont care about him anymore becasue he is in tampa;)
Getzlaf has been really outstanding this year...Perry plays hard, tries hard but he's not getting very many breaks this year..sophmore jinx maybe.

Stempniak has been a pleasant surprise this year...gotta love a guy with that last name.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I wonder if LA would have chosen jessiman over brown if he were available?

hmm, thanks?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I wonder if LA would have chosen jessiman over brown if he were available?

hmm, thanks?

maybe or maybe not. you should be happe you ended up with brown instead of jessiman. i like brown but you could have gotten something better with that pick like parize, getzlaf, perry eaves, beriner or richards.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm willing to give Hugh more time. He seems to have finally gotten somewhat comfortable in his massive frame and he's been using it to his advantage a lot this year. The ECHL has helped his game tremendously (I think he made a mistake in leaving college early) and he certainly has improved this year.

I'd like to see him do what he's been doing in the AHL lately now on a consistent basis before I begin to really say that he's turned the corner, however.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
maybe or maybe not. you should be happe you ended up with brown instead of jessiman. i like brown but you could have gotten something better with that pick like parize, getzlaf, perry eaves, beriner or richards.

It's too early and too close for me to say that I'd have picked any of those guys over Brown. But Tambellini and Boyle though...

Kind of crummy how the Kings had all the choice picks yet San Jose and Anaheim both had such marvelous drafts in 2003. Color me jealous and disgruntled over it.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Huge Specimen is STILL going to end up being the better player. Everybody knows that PF take a longer time to develop. He had a serious injury his junior year at Dartmouth and barley played that year. He is behind, but he will make the players around him better when he makes it, Stempinak will not.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
Huge Specimen is STILL going to end up being the better player. Everybody knows that PF take a longer time to develop. He had a serious injury his junior year at Dartmouth and barley played that year. He is behind, but he will make the players around him better when he makes it, Stempinak will not.
are you flippin kidding me? do you even watch Stempniak play? He makes his whole line better.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
He is on a mini tear in Hartford w/5 goals in last 5 games. Important goals also, one in shootout which was winning goal and 2 last Sat in 3-2 win over Portland. Renney contenplated briefly(very briefly I hope) of bringing Hugh up to NYR with all the injuries(Hossa L Knee sprain) but brought up Dubinsky and Liffiton. Hugh has many miles to go to NHL, but he seems to have turned the ship around. We shall see what future brings. Hopefully more sucess for Hugh.

2ForRoughing*

yeah, you really put your foot in it when you claimed Stempy doesn't make those around him better. Just come right out and admit you've never seen the guy play before.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like Lee a lot. He's certainly became a lot better than I ever thought he would when I watched him in school.

I think he'll round out to be a nice 65 point 2nd liner, which is absolutely fantastic for a player selected outside of the top few rounds.

What a damn steal!

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site

Hugh just showed the first signs of life in the 4 years since he's been drafted, and so far it's just 5 games, and you're already claiming that he's going to make it?

I love that Hugh's played better of late, but you can't ignore 95% of the evidence for the 5% that supports what you want to happen.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Hugh Jessiman is as much of a power forward as Brad Isbister is. He's going to make the players around him better? I think he needs to get better himself first.

His 29 career points in the 77 AHL games doesn't really show him making his linemates better.

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
The Rangers have to be very patient with Jessiman. He's learning, albeit slowly, how to play professional hockey, something that Stempniak obviously has figured out already. He's starting to get it but I think has a long way to go. If Hugh can use his size, strength, and skating effectively, I think that will make him a consistently effective player at the AHL level hopefully while improving his hockey sense, i.e. what to do without the puck, getting open, defensive responsibility, etc. If he can do that, he's got a good shot at being an NHL player, if not, he's a bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad