LeBron speculation thread

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I disagree with this. Lebron is the best player in the NBA. A lineup of Curry-Thompson-Durant-Lebron-Draymond would be the best in the history. Granted I think they would have to move one of them probably Draymond or Thompson for Lebron but I still understand why they would want him.
KD would have to opt out and take an even bigger discount. Iggy and Livingston likely have to go, and the bench filled with guys making minimum salary.

I can’t imagine any all time great getting less respect than LeBron would if he joins the Dubs... Imagine Jordan went to Detroit during the height of their battles? It’s unfathomable because a great competitior won’t join a stacked rival for an easier road.

I still bet on him going to the Lakers. They’ve got some good young pieces and the addition of LBJ and PG make them a legit contender.

Reactions: JackStraw

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He would be considered the most pathetic superstar of all time.

I doubt GS even wants him. Sweeter to beat him.

Bailing on his team for greener pastures isn't exactly a new concept to him. & I think he wouldn't care given he brought Larry to Cleveland & came thru with his goal.

I’ve seen reports about the Clippers

Please. That has been a rumor since last summer and if you ask any insider/analyst they are a looooooooooong shot. Lakers are the only LA team he'd play for.

I disagree with this. Lebron is the best player in the NBA. A lineup of Curry-Thompson-Durant-Lebron-Draymond would be the best in the history. Granted I think they would have to move one of them probably Draymond or Thompson for Lebron but I still understand why they would want him.

The article states they'd trade Thompson for him, which makes sense cause you'd have Steph and [insert vet on cheap deal here] running things from the back with a star frontcourt of KD-LBJ-Draymond. Small ball lineup, but arguably the best since the Showtime Lakers.

Can't imagine why the Warriors would want LeBron. San Antonio would be an interesting fit, but he would have to accept actually being coached by Pop.

That's the thing. I've read many times LeBron does not want to be coached by an elite coach, he would have a lot less say than he has in his career and would have to make a huge adjustment.

KD would have to opt out and take an even bigger discount. Iggy and Livingston likely have to go, and the bench filled with guys making minimum salary.

I can’t imagine any all time great getting less respect than LeBron would if he joins the Dubs... Imagine Jordan went to Detroit during the height of their battles? It’s unfathomable because a great competitior won’t join a stacked rival for an easier road.

I still bet on him going to the Lakers. They’ve got some good young pieces and the addition of LBJ and PG make them a legit contender.

KD is ok with taking discounts. He's making 25 million this year on a discount and he has said numerous times he just wants to win; he's got 30 million a year from Nike to wear shoes and has a wide range of investments that generate income.

I also bet on LeBron signing with the Lakers (just bought a bigger/second home in LA, toured private schools last summer, wouldn't have the stigma of joining up with two other stars) and if PG stays in OKC, he could team up with Boogie.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You could make the argument that the lineup they have now is already the best in history. It's certainly the best in the NBA and most likely will be for a few more years. Draymond is the best defensive player in the league, Klay is arguably the best 3 pt shooter in the league. They have an almost perfect mix of players in the starting lineup. Adding LeBron would almost certainly mess with their chemistry and as you say, would most likely require them to move at least one of two very valuable players, both of whom are in their prime, for a soon to be 34 year old LeBron. I think they'd have to be crazy to do that.

What are you basing that on?

LeBron averages 7 assists per game for his career

If you put him on the Warriors, he becomes the primary ball-handler on a team loaded with elite shooters

Curry
Thompson
Durant
James
Green

With that starting lineup, nobody is going to miss Iguodala and Livingston

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
What are you basing that on?

LeBron averages 7 assists per game for his career

If you put him on the Warriors, he becomes the primary ball-handler on a team loaded with elite shooters

Curry
Thompson
Durant
James
Green

With that starting lineup, nobody is going to miss Iguodala and Livingston

Iggy and Livingston won't be enough to clear salary. And they already have a pretty good primary ball handler. The question is not "would LeBron make the Warriors better?" Of course he would. He would make any team better. Steph Curry would make any team better too. So would Harden and some other guys. The question is, "would the Warriors actually be interested in signing LeBron?" And the answer almost certainly is "no".

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You can't get Lebron and Still keep everyone else. You would have to come up with 30m+ by trading away the likes of a Thompson and Igoudala to fit him under the cap and unless Curry and Durant dislike Clay and Dre I don't see it happening. GS legacy is greater without adding Lebron and beating him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There's, like, 0% chance LeBron signs in Golden State. Sure, he has no problem going to greener pastures but not to GS. LeBron isn't THAT stupid.

There's also the fact that GS would have to literally gut their entire team minus Curry, KD, and Draymond in order to fit LeBron and would have a bench filled with absolute scrubs. As great as the stars have been, that bench has played a vital role in three straight finals appearances and two titles.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No chance LeBron goes to the Warriors. I'd like to see him join the Rockets if they could somehow make that happen without completely gutting their team. I think that's one of the few places (only place?) he could go and actually compete with the Warriors.

Also, he gone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No chance LeBron goes to the Warriors. I'd like to see him join the Rockets if they could somehow make that happen without completely gutting their team. I think that's one of the few places (only place?) he could go and actually compete with the Warriors.

Also, he gone.

Rockets would need CP3 to re-sign on the super cheap to get LeBron.. Harden's salary skyrockets after this season and keeps on going up. At CP3's age, banana boat aside, is he really going to risk all that money to play with LBJ? he might, but the Rockets have shown they can be elite with their backcourt & deep roster.

You can't get Lebron and Still keep everyone else. You would have to come up with 30m+ by trading away the likes of a Thompson and Igoudala to fit him under the cap and unless Curry and Durant dislike Clay and Dre I don't see it happening. GS legacy is greater without adding Lebron and beating him.

Legacy is even better if LeBron signs with them. They wore him down to the point where it became easier to join them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Rockets would need CP3 to re-sign on the super cheap to get LeBron.. Harden's salary skyrockets after this season and keeps on going up. At CP3's age, banana boat aside, is he really going to risk all that money to play with LBJ? he might, but the Rockets have shown they can be elite with their backcourt & deep roster.

Legacy is even better if LeBron signs with them. They wore him down to the point where it became easier to join them.
Nah man. lol

History will read like this "one of the greatest players in the history of the game just couldn't beat one of the greatest team in the NBA".

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I do not blame him one bit wanting to leave that clown show again. If he really want a ring he should sign with Golden State for league min. Or Rockets.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Only way it makes sense for the Warriors to get LeBron is if they think that Thompson wants to go somewhere else when he hits FA in a couple of seasons. Otherwise, I wouldn't trade Thompson to get LeBron. Thompson is 6 years younger than LeBron and he's the perfect complement to Durant and Curry. He's a great defender, one of the best 3-point shooters in the league and he doesn't need the ball on offense. I'm not trading Thompson for LeBron unless I know Thompson isn't re-signing.

The Warriors are already the best team in the league by a mile. Any future LeBron-led superteam shouldn't scare them at all. As long as the Warriors have Durant/Curry/Green/Thompson, it's going to be hard for another team to assemble a collection of talent that can top that.

Reactions: sparxx87

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't see him signing with the lakers unless they get PG (which i also doubt)

the lakers young guys just haven't shown they're ready to take that next step. houston is where i'd put money on him signing. two established superstars already there, pretty much the ideal situation

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Now on the slim chance LeBron wants to sign with the Warriors and it actually gets to happen, how is this not tampering? In what world can it be reported during the season an NBA team is interested in a player who is still under contract to another team? I know there are always been rumours about where LeBron might go, however it's never been reported that a specific team has interest. Remember a few years ago when the Toronto Raptors got fined for Drake's comments at a concert he did about what it would be like to see Kevin Durant playing for them since he is their Global Ambassador.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Now on the slim chance LeBron wants to sign with the Warriors and it actually gets to happen, how is this not tampering? In what world can it be reported during the season an NBA team is interested in a player who is still under contract to another team? I know there are always been rumours about where LeBron might go, however it's never been reported that a specific team has interest. Remember a few years ago when the Toronto Raptors got fined for Drake's comments at a concert he did about what it would be like to see Kevin Durant playing for them since he is their Global Ambassador.

Has it been reported that the Warriors are interested in LeBron? I haven’t heard anything to that effect. It’s been reported that LeBron is interested in the Warriors, not the other way around.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

"sources" saying a team is open to the idea of signing someone really isn't tampering at all.

For starters, we don't even know if "sources" are accurate.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Only way it makes sense for the Warriors to get LeBron is if they think that Thompson wants to go somewhere else when he hits FA in a couple of seasons. Otherwise, I wouldn't trade Thompson to get LeBron. Thompson is 6 years younger than LeBron and he's the perfect complement to Durant and Curry. He's a great defender, one of the best 3-point shooters in the league and he doesn't need the ball on offense. I'm not trading Thompson for LeBron unless I know Thompson isn't re-signing.

The Warriors are already the best team in the league by a mile. Any future LeBron-led superteam shouldn't scare them at all. As long as the Warriors have Durant/Curry/Green/Thompson, it's going to be hard for another team to assemble a collection of talent that can top that.

Thompson is a free agent next summer and they likely can't afford to keep him. Curry is now on a massive salary and while KD is fine with taking paycuts, he'd have to play for like 10-15 million for them to have a shot at keeping Klay, which I don't see him doing. Doing it to sign LeBron is one thing. Its going to come down to keeping either Klay or Draymond.

Would it though? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

The thinking is he signs there he accomplishes a few things. 1) If he makes it to the finals, people couldn't hold playing in a weak conference against him B) For the first time he'd be signing with a team that has 0 stars C) He already lives in LA in the summer, so why not spend your last seasons there and play for the most accomplished franchise.

According to Tracy McGrady the NBA won't allow LeBron to sign with the Warriors.

Technically they can't prevent them from signing him, no matter how unfair it would be. Mind you they did block the CP3 trade to the Lakers so in theory they could block LeBron signing in GS. I just don't see them wanting to piss off their best player + one of the top/most popular teams.

Its not tampering unless someone comes out and says it. if Kerr were to say "we'd love to go and sign LeBron in free agency" it would be. The team is stating its intent to acquire someone whos still under contract with another team currently and next season (player option). Drake openly courted KD and said "I just want to see what would happen if came to play in Toronto"

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Would it though? It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I don’t expext anyone to beat the Warriors but they’ve got some good young pieces and cap space to add either George or Cousins... along with all the other appeals.

Where do you think he’ll go?

Could the Rockets afford him with Harden and Paul while still retaining Capela? They’d obviously have to dump Andersen and probably Gordon but that might be the best opportunity to beat the Warriors.

Spurs? Maybe.. I just can’t picture it.

The more I think about it, the more I have absolutely no idea. :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"sources" saying a team is open to the idea of signing someone really isn't tampering at all.

For starters, we don't even know if "sources" are accurate.
So what if LeBron actually signs with the Warriors? It won't look suspicious that it was first reported months early during the regular season? That's the point I'm trying to make.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Technically they can't prevent them from signing him, no matter how unfair it would be. Mind you they did block the CP3 trade to the Lakers so in theory they could block LeBron signing in GS. I just don't see them wanting to piss off their best player + one of the top/most popular teams.

Its not tampering unless someone comes out and says it. if Kerr were to say "we'd love to go and sign LeBron in free agency" it would be. The team is stating its intent to acquire someone whos still under contract with another team currently and next season (player option). Drake openly courted KD and said "I just want to see what would happen if came to play in Toronto"
Since you mentioned how the NBA blocked the CP3 trade to the Lakers that's the difference, because have they ever not approved a free agent signing by blocking it and in this case do they want to make their biggest star in LeBron James upset?

I know about what Drake said and everything that happened with his comments. I just personally think it was stupid for the NBA to fine the Raptors when players tamper with each other all the time.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
So what if LeBron actually signs with the Warriors? It won't look suspicious that it was first reported months early during the regular season? That's the point I'm trying to make.

Reported what? That they're open to the idea of signing him? The whole league is open to the idea of signing the best player in the league.

There'll be rumours surrounding LeBron all season. The media will throw all sorts of crap around this topic because it gets ratings and page views. Someone's speculation will end up right. It isn't proof of tampering.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

They owned the team. So many people ignore this aspect. That's the only reason they could block anything, because it was their team. There's no comparison to make to that situation.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I know about what Drake said and everything that happened with his comments. I just personally think it was stupid for the NBA to fine the Raptors when players tamper with each other all the time.

They will never catch player tampering because its hard to prove. If Cleveland loses and LeBron texts CP3 saying "ayyy we need you here to stop this!" it can be passed off as friends joking around. Hence why GSW was fine to sign KD even tho Draymond texted him all year long trying to recruit him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They will never catch player tampering because its hard to prove. If Cleveland loses and LeBron texts CP3 saying "ayyy we need you here to stop this!" it can be passed off as friends joking around. Hence why GSW was fine to sign KD even tho Draymond texted him all year long trying to recruit him.
What about when it was reported how LeBron talked Kevin Love into agreeing to waive his no trade to play in Cleveland? You don't think LeBron told David Griffin to make sure it happens. I think that's as close to tampering you can get without it being proven true when you look at the NBA definition of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad