LeBron speculation thread

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Lebron turns 33 years old next year, he's not going to suddenly start playing all 82 games now that his athleticism is in decline, he was totally gassed in last year's finals

I also can't imagine him in the western conference, there is no team he can form that can really challenge the Warriors anywhere in the league so he needs to keep making the finals every year so he can have the "made it to x straight finals" continue to bolster his legacy, he'll go somewhere in the east if and when he leaves Cleveland again

My guesses are Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, or back to Miami

If winning is a priority, he shouldn't go out west. However, he has nothing left to prove in the East. I don't see any of the teams above giving him a chance against the Warriors. I also think his business is becoming of more importance as he approaches the final chapter in his career, and that is best achieved in Los Angeles. He's made it be known a couple times that he'd like to own an NBA team one day.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lebron turns 33 years old next year, he's not going to suddenly start playing all 82 games now that his athleticism is in decline, he was totally gassed in last year's finals

I also can't imagine him in the western conference, there is no team he can form that can really challenge the Warriors anywhere in the league so he needs to keep making the finals every year so he can have the "made it to x straight finals" continue to bolster his legacy, he'll go somewhere in the east if and when he leaves Cleveland again

My guesses are Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, or back to Miami

Lebron was gassed in last year's finals? I seem to remember him dominating and playing almost the entire game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Lebron was gassed in last year's finals? I seem to remember him dominating and playing almost the entire game.

He did dominate, but he played way too much because his team let him down and he had to be on the floor all the time

He was sweating bullets before the ends of the 3rd quarters, and this was after they would switch Richard Jefferson on to Durant on D

He played 46 minutes a night which is why he was so tired, that's a problem at his age, dude is human and can't do it all himself against that video game Warriors team

It's not a complaint or a knock on him, I was just saying that he's not gonna start playing more minutes in more games now at age 33, it defies conventional wisdom and typical career trajectory

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He did dominate, but he played way too much because his team let him down and he had to be on the floor all the time

He was sweating bullets before the ends of the 3rd quarters, and this was after they would switch Richard Jefferson on to Durant on D

He played 46 minutes a night which is why he was so tired, that's a problem at his age, dude is human and can't do it all himself against that video game Warriors team

It's not a complaint or a knock on him, I was just saying that he's not gonna start playing more minutes in more games now at age 33, it defies conventional wisdom and typical career trajectory
For a guy who has never been hurt in his career, with the miles he is putting on, it could all come at once.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Hell, in the last decade alone he's been in 8 NBA finals, 2 Olympics and in his career has never lost in the first round. That's a lot of basketball. It wears on you eventually.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan

That's why I think he'd prefer to stay out East, where he can coast to the Finals instead of having to face a GS, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, or Houston every round.

Sep 19, 2008
"Unnamed sources"

I'll believe it when it happens but basically the "report" said LeBron and ownership were so far apart that he wouldn't come back

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was the report:

FWIW, Sheridan was the first one to report LeBron was going back to the Cavs back in 2014. Who knows if the person telling him knows for sure or not but he gone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The only source that matters is Woj.

Regarding LeBron, its his waterboy Brian Windhorst. He literally followed him in HS, then to Miami, and then right back to Cleveland.

Lee Jenkins is also a good one, he's the one who helped write LBJ's "I'm Coming Home" essay in Sports Illustrated 3 years ago.

This was the report:

FWIW, Sheridan was the first one to report LeBron was going back to the Cavs back in 2014. Who knows if the person telling him knows for sure or not but he gone.

He and Gilbert "repaired" their relationship back in 2014 for the sake of bringing a title to the city of Cleveland (LeBron saw it as his destiny/duty) but it was never the same after July 2010. Then not keeping Griffin around completely soured everything.

Pat Riley killed his relationship with him too, can't blame either of them that much, i would also say some stupid things and be irate if the best player in the league left my team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sources: LeBron open to FA talks with Warriors

Holy shiet if this were to happen.... 3 out of the top 5 players in the league together.....

If the Golden State Warriors can create a max salary slot this offseason, the defending NBA champions could position themselves to secure a meeting with LeBron James, league sources told ESPN.
There is no indication that Golden State is evaluating such options to acquire the Cleveland Cavaliers star at this time.

Out of respect for the Warriors' winning culture, James would listen if Golden State explored ways to clear the necessary cap space, sources said.

James and his business team have been known to covet structure, if he were to leave his hometown team. With Golden State, an ultra-aggressive general manager in Bob Myers, the ownership group as a whole and coach Steve Kerr are the epitome of that.

A sign-and-trade scenario would be the most realistic way for Golden State to acquire James. The Warriors could build an offer around Klay Thompson and Andre Iguodala to match salary and tempt the Cavaliers into making a deal, according to ESPN's Kevin Pelton.

To make a sign-and-trade possible, Golden State also would need Kevin Durant to decline his player option and take even less than his current annual salary of $25 million, in addition to moving Shaun Livingston's salary to a team with cap space. Golden State probably would have to fill out its bench with players making the league minimum.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
the team that I could most easily see Lebron fitting with is San Antonio. Just the way they play and how he likes to play, how he moves the ball and gets everyone involved, etc. Not sure he fits anywhere else in that organization, though.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Can't imagine why the Warriors would want LeBron. San Antonio would be an interesting fit, but he would have to accept actually being coached by Pop.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Can't imagine why the Warriors would want LeBron. San Antonio would be an interesting fit, but he would have to accept actually being coached by Pop.

Seriously? Not even if you close your eyes and try really, really hard?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I disagree with this. Lebron is the best player in the NBA. A lineup of Curry-Thompson-Durant-Lebron-Draymond would be the best in the history. Granted I think they would have to move one of them probably Draymond or Thompson for Lebron but I still understand why they would want him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I disagree with this. Lebron is the best player in the NBA. A lineup of Curry-Thompson-Durant-Lebron-Draymond would be the best in the history. Granted I think they would have to move one of them probably Draymond or Thompson for Lebron but I still understand why they would want him.

You could make the argument that the lineup they have now is already the best in history. It's certainly the best in the NBA and most likely will be for a few more years. Draymond is the best defensive player in the league, Klay is arguably the best 3 pt shooter in the league. They have an almost perfect mix of players in the starting lineup. Adding LeBron would almost certainly mess with their chemistry and as you say, would most likely require them to move at least one of two very valuable players, both of whom are in their prime, for a soon to be 34 year old LeBron. I think they'd have to be crazy to do that.

Reactions: sparxx87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->