GDT: Leafs@Wings 7 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpeg

Sunday’s game preview: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings

Both teams are playing the second of back-to-back games.

Sunday’s game preview: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings | Toronto Star

dylan.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x719.jpg

Centre Dylan Larkin leads the Red Wings in scoring with nine goals and 34 assists heading into weekend play. (Jose Juarez / The Associated Press)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Sat., Feb. 17, 2018

LITTLE CAESARS ARENA
Time:
7 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan
Key players: Dylan Larkin leads the Red Wings with nine goals and 34 assists, adjusting nicely in his second year playing centre, his third season in the NHL . . . Wings centre Frans Nielsen had seven points (two goals, five assists) in his past six games heading into the weekend . . . Nazem Kadri is among the hottest scorers on the Leafs.
Need to know: Both teams are playing the second of back-to-back games. The Red Wings were in Nashville on Saturday night while the Leafs lost 5-3 in Pittsburgh . . . Defenceman Mike Green’s name will come up in trade talk but missed Saturday’s game with an upper-body injury . . . Forward Andreas Athanasiou returned to the lineup after missing Thursday’s game because of illness . . . Detroit was 6-8-2 in its past 16 games and nine points out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Up next: Tuesday vs. Florida Panthers at the ACC, 7 p.m., Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Red Wings
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Red Wings

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at DETROIT RED WINGS
Sunday, 7 p.m., Little Caesars Arena
TV: Sportsnet; Radio: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Kasperi Kapanen vs Luke Glendening

Can a couple of fourth-liners impact the game’s outcome? Of course. The fast Kapanen scored the Leafs’ only goal in a 3-1 loss in Detroit on Dec. 15; Glendening could attempt to make another positive impression on Leafs coach Mike Babcock, as trade speculation has linked Toronto to the hard-working forward. Whether Glendening would be a large upgrade on Dominic Moore is debatable.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
The extra push
Both clubs arrived late in Detroit after playing in road games on Saturday night — the Maple Leafs in Pittsburgh and the Red Wings in Nashville. An early lead might help, considering the game could lean toward attrition if there is fatigue on both sides. The Wings are mediocre at home, compiling a 12-11-7 mark in their new rink.
Among Auston’s fave opponents
Auston Matthews entered Saturday with three goals in seven games, and no matter how he did in Pittsburgh, might have been anticipating the match versus the Wings. With six goals in five games against Detroit, Matthews has scored more against only Ottawa (seven). Matthews has a 40% (!) shooting percentage vs. the Wings.
Killing them softly
The Red Wings went into their game against the Predators with a bad run on the penalty kill, as they had allowed 16 goals in the previous 50 opponent power plays. “I think we’re a little too hesitant,” defenceman Jonathan Ericsson said. “We’re not confident in what we’re doing.” The Leafs’ power play was 12th on the road before Saturday.
All evened up
Every NHL coach wants his power play to produce better than it does, but a truer measure of a player’s worth is his contribution during five-on-five play. William Nylander (on the ice for 54 goals while playing five-on-five) and Matthews (52) were one-two in that category in the NHL. Matthews’ 24 goals at even strength were tied for second.
Curtis in control
The Leafs have a respectable record of 5-4-1 in the second game of back-to-back sets and backup Curtis McElhinney has been a significant factor. McElhinney has been sharp behind Frederik Andersen and has won his past three decisions, with a shutout in his previous start, on Feb. 1 in New York versus the Rangers.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Dominic Moore-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott-Roman Polak
Goaltenders
Curtis McElhinney
Frederik Andersen
RED WINGS LINES
LW-C-RW
Gustav Nyquist-Henrik Zetterberg-Anthony Martha
Tomas Tatar-Dylan Larkin-Andreas Athanasiou
Darren Helm-Frans Nielsen-Justin Abdelkader
Tyler Bertuzzi-Luke Glendening-Martin Frk
Defence pairs
Niklas Kronwall-Trevor Daley
Jonathan Ericsson-Luke Witkowski
Dan DeKeyser-Nick Jensen
Goaltenders
Jimmy Howard
Petr Mrazek
INJURIES
Red Wings — D Mike Green (upper body).
Maple Leafs — None.
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Red Wings: 18.7% (21st)
Maple Leafs: 20.1% (15th)
Penalty kill
Red Wings: 77.5% (26th)
Maple Leafs: 83.2% (6th)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Back to back's on the road are tough but no excuses to not show up and win tonight. One of those situations where you just have to pick yourself up after last's night's loss and take care of business today.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Lost 3-1 last time at this arena. Need a solid performance all around tonight vs arguably a more tired team after playing in Nashville. Mcbackup cant save us every time

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If we are trailing in the game then can Hyman and Leo not see too much ice and let Kappy play instead. It isn't hard; you play skilled players to get something going offensively. Come on Babs - enough with the Gud Pros BS.

Hyman screwed up on two golden chances on the open net and Leo did not even get the puck on the open net last night. Those are THREE GOLDEN CHANCES set by Matthews/Willy that were wasted. Kappy would have at least finished 2 of those chances.

In the playoffs if we are trailing and you are on a GudPro bandwagon while the likes of Kappy are stapled to the bench then it is a complete :facepalm: move

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If we are trailing in the game then can Hyman and Leo not see too much ice and let Kappy play instead. It isn't hard; you play skilled players to get something going offensively. Come on Babs - enough with the Gud Pros BS.

Hyman screwed up on two golden chances on the open net and Leo did not even get the puck on the open net last night. Those are THREE GOLDEN CHANCES set by Matthews/Willy that were wasted. Kappy would have at least finished 2 of those chances.

In the playoffs if we are trailing and you are on a GudPro bandwagon while the likes of Kappy are stapled to the bench then it is a complete :facepalm: move

Believe me i get you!

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Missed last night's game, did Hyman come back? Is he expected to dress tonight?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

The skill is there with Kapanen, however, there is no guarantee that he would have converted those chances that Hyman missed! Who would have thought Matthews would miss the net on two back handed shots in the same game?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The skill is there with Kapanen, however, there is no guarantee that he would have converted those chances that Hyman missed! Who would have thought Matthews would miss the net on two back handed shots in the same game?

Dude Hyman was like 2 feet away from the net; if you are telling me Kappy wouldn't have buried those then I don't even know what to say anymore

not to mention the open net chance absolutely killed by komarov on willy's feed

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Dude Hyman was like 2 feet away from the net; if you are telling me Kappy wouldn't have buried those then I don't even know what to say anymore

not to mention the open net chance absolutely killed by komarov on willy's feed
Watch more hockey then! Even the best of the best whiff on chances you'd think would be sure goals. Unless you have a time machine, we can't go back and substitute Kapanen for Hyman and Komarov to see if he indeed scores on both!

I trust that Kapanen will score every time he has a wide open net to shoot at from now on!

I'm not arguing this any longer! As a coach, I've witnessed my share of very skilled hockey players whiffing on, or completely missing the net, on very easy tap ins! It happens!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If Babcock wants Hyman with Matthews, fine, whatever but why not mix it up during the game sometimes? Put Marner up there for a shift or Marleau, or even Kappy. I really liked what Sullivan does in Pit. He starts Crosby with Aston-Reece and Sheary but then he mixes in Kessel at points during the game.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Wee bit of trade deadline intrigue, Sens board says Dorion was on a flight to Detroit today. Likely not to scout the Leafs, Zack Smith would be a nice option a for 4th line ctr, but he has 3+ years at 3.25 left so really not a fit. They are asking the moon for Brassard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad