Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs the Jets who got grounded by a 36 year old accountant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm pretty happy with breaking the 100 point barrier and sitting pretty at 101 points. Don't really care for what happens now. I'd prefer we rested all our main guys until the playoffs and bring up guys like Timashov, Aaltonen, Bracco, Liljegren, Gauthier etc, put Johnsson back in the lineup too.

Just give some of our young Marlies guys a taste of NHL action, there is zero negatives to this whatsoever.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Might be an ugly and sloppy game, but Leafs are 8 and 2 in their last 10 games. breaking franchise records, I don't really care about the outcome, just no injuries.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Boy they really hate us. Just read a few posts over their sub forum.
I grew up there and would be sorely disappointed if they didn't hate us.

Pure envy. That's all it is. They can't stand the Leafs, with the world's biggest fan base, getting all the attention while they feel sad and neglected.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
jbotDEel.jpg

Let's replicate it.

GLG.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I grew up there and would be sorely disappointed if they didn't hate us.

Pure envy. That's all it is. They can't stand the Leafs, with the world's biggest fan base, getting all the attention while they feel sad and neglected.

I really don't understand the hate to be honest, especially when considering they've only had NHL hockey back in their city since 2011, just 7 years ago..the Jets fanbase seems to have become almost like a second Senators fanbase for us, just with little brother extreme inferiority complex thing going on.

Where were all of them pre 2011? are they new hockey fans? what team did they all support? its just a big confusing mess.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I remember the first game of the season like it was yesterday.

October 4, 2017.

My first opening night since 2013.

I was home and had been for 3 months already.

I was able to save enough money to get my ass out of Asia for over 8 months. It was good for me and good for my family.

My father has Alzheimer's, not totally degenerative yet, but he needs help so I was back to help him.

Cooking his meals, doing the laundry, keeping the house clean, doing the driving, running his errands and getting him to his appointments, all that fun stuff.

And just giving him someone to talk to during the day.

Per our agreement, it was during the week we get anything we need done out of the way.

Saturday we do something together (drive to Algonquin or the Bruce or whatever), but Sunday...no chores, no cleaning, no errands, no bullshit, all I do is cook lunch and dinner.

I love my dad and was happy to spend time with him, but as you can imagine, for a youngish guy, at times it got a little boring.

As in I sold my car 2 years ago, so if I wanted to go see people I had to clear up using his car with him a few days in advance. Most of my friends were over an hour away.

Small 2 bedroom townhouse, so if I'm having people over we can't get too noisy.

He would go to sleep at erratic and unpredictable times (sometimes as early as 8 p.m., then the next night not until 1:30, then the next night at 11, then the following night at 9, waking up at 7 every day), so if the girlfriend wanted to come by for le sexy time, it had to be late.

He doesn't care about that last one, but I did it out of respect, the man doesn't have a prostate.

I missed the last season, an historic and unprecedented season, but I saw highlights.

NO ONE, not even my dad, who was younger (quite a bit younger) than I am the last time they won, saw it coming.

So I had the date, October 4th, circled on my calendar.

Winnipeg...great.

To their credit they've become quite a good team.

I don't buy for a second that they're on some level above us, but they look quite formidable.

Like us, they're a tier 2 contender (Pittsburgh, Boston and Nashville are t1, us, them, Tampa, San Jose and Washington are tier 2...I don't think Vegas is a playoff threat, yet).

We go to the bar to watch the game.

My dad pays because he knew it was important to me.

The first game I've watched live in 20 months.

We start slow, the Jets are getting the best of us.

I go to the bathroom and they score.
We rattle off 2 more quick ones before the end of the first period.

We keep pouring it on in the second.

We smoke them 7-2.

A former co-worker is from the peg, I be sure to harass him the next day.

Now I'm back in Asia, and I want us to give them another pounding.

I know the old man will be watching.

All I want is for him to see one more cup before he goes. They have 3-5 years left by my estimation.

GLG!

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I really don't understand the hate to be honest, especially when considering they've only had NHL hockey back in their city since 2011, just 7 years ago..the Jets fanbase seems to have become almost like a second Senators fanbase for us, just with little brother extreme inferiority complex thing going on.

Where were all of them pre 2011? are they new hockey fans? what team did they all support? its just a big confusing mess.

They are NOT new hockey fans.

Winnipeg has a hockey culture that puts Toronto to shame. Toronto is is a Leafs town, but Winipeg is a hockey town.

They live and breathe hockey the way Alabama does football or Kentucky basketball. You won't find people that care more about hockey anywhere, and I'm pleased the the Leafs haven't escaped their attention. Indifference would be off-putting.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Jets 31

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Winnipeg has a hockey culture that puts Toronto to shame. Toronto is is a Leafs town, but Winipeg is a hockey town.

They live and breathe hockey the way Alabama does football or Kentucky basketball. You won't find people that care more about hockey anywhere, and I'm pleased the the Leafs haven't escaped their attention. Indifference would be off-putting.
Jesus f***ing Christ who put the idea in your head that Toronto isn't a hockey town? Why do you think a quarter of the NHL comes from the GTA? The leafs would've lost their love years ago if the city only cheered because of their logo with the 10 years of shit seasons, yet they remained in the top due to hockey addiction

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

Interesting. Kind of makes sense because winninpeg is in middle of nowhere and im assuming with less immigrants/etc.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Boy they really hate us. Just read a few posts over their sub forum.
Let them hate us, who cares. They think about us a lot, they never cross our minds. They're irrelevant and suffer from a inferiority complex. The irony with Jets fans is how much they whine about Leafs fans arrogance when they've slowly become the most arrogant fanbase around here. The hypocrisy is strong in those guys.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Our 3rd game in 4 nights and the jets care more about beating us than winning the Stanley Cup :laugh::laugh:;)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Our 3rd game in 4 nights and the jets care more about beating us than winning the Stanley Cup :laugh::laugh:;)

Can you blame them? The Leafs are in a lot of team’s heads. Plus, we absolutely blew them to bits on the road on their season opener.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Heard that to many times before. Yet Toronto produces more NHL players than any other city in the world. It must really piss other teams off knowing their GTA players are really Leaf fans, since Toronto is a Leaf town.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Patty “There’s no shame in 2nd” Laine has been pretty cold lately, hopefully he doesn’t break out tonight.

He’s a very streaky player, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him score tonight against a tired Leafs team with McElhinney in net. McElhinney has been good but he swims quite a bit in net and loses sight of the puck at times.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Do you think Andersen has a better chance of getting the record Monday vs Buffalo or Thursday vs New Jersey? I think the game next saturday is essentially a preseason game sans marleau's ironman streak.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Jesus ****ing Christ who put the idea in your head that Toronto isn't a hockey town? Why do you think a quarter of the NHL comes from the GTA? The leafs would've lost their love years ago if the city only cheered because of their logo with the 10 years of **** seasons, yet they remained in the top due to hockey addiction
Do you really have to use that language on the highest holiday of the Christian calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad