Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Should be a tough game with our backup in net.
My predictions:
If we win: we got outplayed(even if we dont, those posts will still come) Babcock is a joke of a coach who hates Nylander as he doesnt give the precious glory boy the right ice time. Hyman is horrendous as is an AHL player who only plays because Babcock adopted him.
If we lose: Babcock got outcoached today and isnt using his lineup well. He should be playing this guy more and is the reason we lost. He has a huge ego and is hurting the team. Babcrap is a horrible coach.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The last time Edmonton and Toronto played, it seemed to be a violent game, that could repeat here.

If Leivo gets in, that's a bigger body. Didn't he score the last time he played?

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
the oilers will be looking for revenge over what happened last game. expect them to come at us hard

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Should be a tough game with our backup in net.
My predictions:
If we win: we got outplayed(even if we dont, those posts will still come) Babcock is a joke of a coach who hates Nylander as he doesnt give the precious glory boy the right ice time. Hyman is horrendous as is an AHL player who only plays because Babcock adopted him.
If we lose: Babcock got outcoached today and isnt using his lineup well. He should be playing this guy more and is the reason we lost. He has a huge ego and is hurting the team. Babcrap is a horrible coach.
Not really a useful pregame thread intro

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
imo its time to shut matthews down for 2017. Clearly something is wrong (not just talking about the morgan run in) but he hasn't been good in weeks. It looks like a lot of his power is missing right now. Thats besides the fact that he essentially has zero help on his line to get anything going offensively. If he doesn't create the chance, then he isn't going to be getting points on that line its just that simple.

This is what we know since returning from injury:
His production has dropped
Hes been paired with brown
A lot of his power is gone
He isn't stripping pucks and being dominant like he is capable of
He is passing up shooting opportunities (something he rarely does when hes on)
He got banged up again today vs the pens

IMO this screams nagging injury. Just send him home for the rest of the year and bring him back in Jan. The schedule for the rest of the year isn't bad, we can play 600 hockey without him, but right now the wins/losses dont really matter, we need our superstar back at full capacity. I'm disgusted with babs as well in his handling of this situation. Anyone with eyes can tell that Matthews isn't at 100% right now and if hes going to play he needs HELP AND SUPPORT... he doesn't need to be stranded with a middle sixer and a mobile garbage can, he needs a playmaker. Babs isn't helping him at all, the line sucks and this whole situation with babs is a joke.

And another thing... just fundamentally what the hell am I as a coach doing matching my 20 year old superstar player who isn't at 100% capacity against sid and mcdavid???????? Help the kid out babs jfc. Guy talks about "putting players in a position where they can succeed" and "holding players accountable" all while playing nylander on the 4th line, an injured matthews against the top tier players in the game, and chasing a stupid archaic matchup game that doesn't even work out half the time... its time to hold this guy accountable. Yes hes a good coach, yes hes won everything, but that does not mean he handles all situations correctly, and I TRULY believe that he is botching this lineup right now and it is having a negative effect on matthews.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think Willy plays more tonight, got a bit of a rest last night. Either more PP or split 5v5 time on Matthews' wing especially if we go down a goal.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Both teams played last night so there are no excuses. Has Ellis had any NHL action? If he's making his debut that could go either way. I mean playing against the Leafs in Toronto might get him dialed in. Or he may be unnerved.

I think it's important to start on time tonight and get to the young goalie early. It's very unlikely that Brossoit goes in at all tonight regardless of the result.

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
I am hoping for a fast fun game with no injuries, and a Leafs win obviously.

It would be nice to have a positive GDT without all the rampant complaining about lines and coaching decisions.

We are currently in 2nd in the Atlantic and tied for 5th in the league.

Try enjoying this team in the moment, this is the best Leafs team I have watched in decades.

Go Leafs Go!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

For all the criticism Babs is facing about his line combos and how he's handling the kids, this is a nice turnaround from last season. And they've done well holding leads in the third so far this year. Key differences from last year to this. They're learning how to close out games and win close games. And it's nice to see that their best period has been the third.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I am hoping for a fast fun game with no injuries, and a Leafs win obviously.

It would be nice to have a positive GDT without all the rampant complaining about lines and coaching decisions.

We are currently in 2nd in the Atlantic and tied for 5th in the league.

Try enjoying this team in the moment, this is the best Leafs team I have watched in decades.

Go Leafs Go!
I've stopped participating in the GDT as its all about people who have their agendas that they need to push. I just don't understand this need among many to find reasons to be miserable.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
For all the criticism Babs is facing about his line combos and how he's handling the kids, this is a nice turnaround from last season. And they've done well holding leads in the third so far this year. Key differences from last year to this. They're learning how to close out games and win close games. And it's nice to see that their best period has been the third.
Exactly, the biggest concern last year was blowing leads. Not even a concern really, was more a testament of a young group learning how to win. We now play with confidence when we have the lead and we actually win shootouts.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I've stopped participating in the GDT as its all about people who have their agendas that they need to push. I just don't understand this need among many to find reasons to be miserable.
Start with the perspective that this disposition really has nothing to do with the Leafs, and it makes more sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Eeyore syndrome.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I hope Matthews can bounce back from his worst game ever as a Leaf. Being stapled to two grinders who can't get him the puck is probably the best bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->