Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Which team has the advantage in net the Bruins or the Leafs who's starting goalie was so bad earlier in the year that he was placed on waivers and NOBODY claimed him?

To be fair, Sammy's season had two halves.
The first half was a horror show, passed through waivers, then got some time off and was mostly solid, and at times spectacular.

Yes, Boston clearly has the advantage in net, but keep in mind that the Leafs got by Tampa Bay & Vasilevskiy last year with Samsonov - including him allowing only 3 goals combined in the last 2 games. He'll obviously have to be very good for the Leafs to have any chance and I believe he has it in him, just not sold yet he'll be able to keep it up for a deep playoff run.

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Matthews didn’t score 70 goals this season. He was pissedvsnd frustrated, and it’s understandable. Missing out on such a historic milestone is always disappointing. And it’s no guarantee he will come close to score 70 goals again.

Hopefully he releases his frustrations and anger on our enemies in the playoffs this year

Maple Leafs Forever!

Reactions: authentic

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Matthews didn’t score 70 goals this season. He was pissedvsnd frustrated, and it’s understandable. Missing out on such a historic milestone is always disappointing. And it’s no guarantee he will come close to score 70 goals again.

Hopefully he releases his frustrations and anger on our enemies in the playoffs this year

Maple Leafs Forever!
I'm hoping the players are so pissed at their head coach belittling their accomplishments and throwing out lame excuses that they take it out on Boston this year. They'll have to be very good, because they have to overcome questionable goaltending, likely ref bullshit AND their own idiot coach's idiotic decisions...

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The first half was a horror show, passed through waivers, then got some time off and was mostly solid, and at times spectacular.

Yes, Boston clearly has the advantage in net, but keep in mind that the Leafs got by Tampa Bay & Vasilevskiy last year with Samsonov - including him allowing only 3 goals combined in the last 2 games. He'll obviously have to be very good for the Leafs to have any chance and I believe he has it in him, just not sold yet he'll be able to keep it up for a deep playoff run.
This is exactly right. He can easily beat a pretty offensively-challenged Boston team. But can he beat Florida/Tampa and then NYR/Carolina?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think the only thing we can draw from this is that the Leafs lose in the playoffs no matter what... :laugh:
Ha !
The defense does well when they stick to man-to-man coverage.
Other teams could do man vs man.
You can't convert the Leafs to man to man.
Brodie and Rielly frequently skate away from the front of the net leaving it open.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm hoping the players are so pissed at their head coach belittling their accomplishments and throwing out lame excuses that they take it out on Boston this year. They'll have to be very good, because they have to overcome questionable goaltending, likely ref bullshit AND their own idiot coach's idiotic decisions...

Also remember Boston had that disappointing first round lost last year so they will be wanting to win really badly and the Leafs have to overcome that extra effort the Bruins will surely put forth. It won't be easy but they have to want it more and they will win.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Agreed.

I just hope that his last couple of games of the season were a blip and that he'll be rejuvenated on Saturday.

If he's on, we can absolutely beat Boston.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm not gonna let the game 1 lineup get to me because I expect change throughout the series.

There will be lots of rotating in and out for the 4th line and 3rd D-pair is my guess

Reactions: BallardEra

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Rather Boston than FL. Hope the refs do it fair.
Yup. Boston they have at least a chance though they're dead in the water if they get into penalty trouble and they don't get out of their own heads. And no, the refs won't do it fair, like not even close, and I rarely normally complain about that sort of thing but you have to go into the series knowing that.

Florida? I'll eat my own socks if they beat them in a playoff series.

Reactions: thewave

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Hope Samsonov heads back to the well of advice his father game him to help him rebound.

"It’s easy to sit and cry and keep your head down. He said you have to fight for this no matter what’s going on," Ilya said. "You have a family and you have a kid. You’re not a small guy anymore. You’re not in the kid's garden, You live a big life. This has really helped me. It’s given me extra motivation."

Reactions: OddyOh

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Bring them on.

I sure as shit am too scarred to sit here and proclaim we’re going to win, but f*** it let’s dance and see where the song ends. Just be the best versions of yourselves as a team and let cards fall where they may.

Giddee Up.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Avs have scored 3 already.

EDIT: 4 goals
Mac got his 2 assists for 140 points in first 10 minutes.

Such is life when you spend 50% of your cap on 4 similar forwards. Others teams have navigated the salary cap much better then we have.
That is because they can't and they won't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad