Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Marner will likely go head to head with Marchand and we know Marchand will try to intimidate him. It’ll be interesting to see how he responds.
What bugs me about Marchand is how the NHL lets him get away with the kinds of antics they banned Sean Avery for years ago. But it's okay if you're playing for Boston, apparently...

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
That's a huge gap on D and Goalie tbh. "Slight" gap on D is an understatement. Their second pairing would be our top pairing

It will be Saturday evening - im almost 99% sure of it.

I am guessing an 7/8pm Saturday game
carreer dtats in playoff

swayman 2.79 gaa 0.901 % sv
ulmark 3.54 gaa and 0.888% sv

samsonov 3.06 gaa and 0.902% sv

not sure they really exist a gap with goalie come playoff time and pressure

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Series has 7 games written all over it. On paper Toronto has the better forward core, D-core goes to Boston and goaltending to Boston.

Special teams is the biggest factor in the series, cannot allow Boston to score at 35% on the PP and expect to win the series.

Toronto needs to get average goaltending to win the series. Can't let freebie goals in the playoffs, if it's a nice play or shot sure, but nothing that's weak.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
helps him at all, he needs wingers that are capable of slowing it down and playing a heavy cycle game.
unfortunately i feel like marner due to his lack of
Leafs beat Boston if JT’s plus minus isn’t negative.
I just want to keep the puck out of our net.
He needs sheltering

Leafs haven’t scored a first period goal against Boston this year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Making the Eastern Conference final would be a mandatory for the management team to keep their jobs (Treliving excepted of course).

I'd have to agree with you on this one, though I'm not really married to Treliving either... I'm fine with a completely new management group top to bottom.

I guess we all hope for that kind of success... Eastern Conference finals... but most of us fear the likelihood that we just aren't playoff performers, or good enough.

I'm certainly not looking forward to an offseason of meltdowns here... :laugh:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Will be a close series. It will come down to:
-Reffing. Be better than Bos at PP/PK
-Win any game going to OT
-Sammy not being a problem
-Balanced scoring for the Leafs
-Keefe not Keefing

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Incoming Marchand gets to run carte blanche against the Leafs and whomever tries to put an end to it by doing the same thing back will face a suspension.

Bruins will have twice as many power plays as the Leafs.

League loves them Bruins!

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs.jpg

So this is our regular season record against the Bruins this year. Not that regular season records mean everything when it comes to the playoffs... but we've lost SEVEN games in a row to them, going back to last season. The last time we beat Boston was November 5th, 2022. We've been outscored 26-13 over those seven games.

So.. Good Luck with that.

Reactions: authentic

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
Let’s watch Tampa and the panthers beat the shit outta each other……if the leafs can beat Boston this may be their best chance to advance past round 2

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
What bugs me about Marchand is how the NHL lets him get away with the kinds of antics they banned Sean Avery for years ago. But it's okay if you're playing for Boston, apparently...
The Leafs should just use their infinite wealth to hire a member of the Campbell family. No other use of their money could impact their chances to win per dollar than whatever they pay them.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Boston has a better coach, team defense, defense, goaltending and refs.

PP and PK.

Jeremy Swayman has been great during the Boston's 7 game win streak vs Toronto. 4-0-0 ; 1.21 GAA ; .961 Sv%

Swayman .961% vs Leafs over a 2 year span.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Truthfully I'm watching far less hockey these past few years than previously, so here's my question going into the series.

What do the B's do well? What areas do they struggle?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Incoming Marchand gets to run carte blanche against the Leafs and whomever tries to put an end to it will face a suspension.

Bruins will have twice as many power plays as the Leafs.

League loves them Bruins!
nice to see the excuses coming out before we even start...gotta get a head of it I guess.

Reactions: egd27

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I ain’t defending the refs. But if the leafs all of sudden decide to play tough, it’s more glaring and easier to call. Whereas,( when the Bruins were really good) guys like Chara would hit the refs with 4 “normal” calls a shift

Basically raising the threshold of what’s normal. they aren’t going to call everything mentality(And the Bruins knew it)

If we set that tone game 1, we better keep it up throughout the series and no matter what line. Clear the net , muck it up when you can and raise the bar for calls. I think our best games this year are when we keep up that tempo and then wear teams down with our speed/persuit/possesion.

They have it in em, it’s whether they have it for 4 wins. I think guys like Domi, Reaves(when used) and the toughness on the backend NEED to create ice - and the depth needs to be opportunistic. The bruins loooove to own the ice and play tight pressure when they play us; find the seems, bury chances and don’t allow too much leakage.

I’m excited for playoffs. If you can’t tell

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
View attachment 853763

So this is our regular season record against the Bruins this year. Not that regular season records mean everything when it comes to the playoffs... but we've lost SEVEN games in a row to them, going back to last season. The last time we beat Boston was November 5th, 2022. We've been outscored 26-13 over those seven games.

Haha that is actually ridiculous and call me crazy, but somehow I think we still win the series. I don't think there is much correlation to the outcomes of regular season and playoff matchups even if 7 losses in a row seems significant. Who knows, maybe they sweep us lol

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
View attachment 853763

It's hard to put a ton of stock into those last two Bruins games. Team was banged up and getting ravaged with the flu, and Matthews looked like a zombie. Woll also just returned from injury for those games and evidently his ankle seems to have continued being an issue.

Reactions: OddyOh

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
We have no excuses for not beating them this time. I know if I was facing an old foe that had my number like the Bruins have had ours I’d be more than happy to get bruised and bloodied to exact my revenge.

“No excuses” should be their motto heading in.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Not sure if it’s been mentioned in the 20 pages here.

On a positive note, Bostons biggest strength is their goaltending depth. They can only play one goalie at any time. They were basically an equal team to the Leafs if you remove their backup goalie.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad