Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
I'm sorry, I really want to beleaf that this team has it in them to beat Boston but, figuring the defence, the goalies and a huge one here, our coach, we are gonna get creamed.

I have no faith in our coach. Our specialty teams has killed us this whole season and nothing looks to be improved. How has the powerplay still have the same players on PP1 is baffling. It's always the same setup and every team knows by now, who are weakest players on the PP. Keefe never changes anything around.

Only good thing about it is, if we are kicked out in the first round again, Keefe has to be gone, right? And Shanny? Keefe should have been gone after the Montreal series but what the hell do I know.

I'd give this core one more chance with another coach. A coach who had success before and doesn't coddle players. It's been too long with Keefe and I guess he lets them do whatever the hell they want out there without being called out or benched. Just tired of seeing the same shit from this coach.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The League mandate since Bettman became commissioner 30 years ago has been about growing the game in the States. When playing League favourites (Boston, Tampa, Florida) We’re already at a disadvantage and we know this from past experience.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm sorry, I really want to beleaf that this team has it in them to beat Boston but, figuring the defence, the goalies and a huge one here, our coach, we are gonna get creamed.

I have no faith in our coach. Our specialty teams has killed us this whole season and nothing looks to be improved. How has the powerplay still have the same players on PP1 is baffling. It's always the same setup and every team knows by now, who are weakest players on the PP. Keefe never changes anything around.

Only good thing about it is, if we are kicked out in the first round again, Keefe has to be gone, right? And Shanny? Keefe should have been gone after the Montreal series but what the hell do I know.

I'd give this core one more chance with another coach. A coach who had success before and doesn't coddle players. It's been too long with Keefe and I guess he lets them do whatever the hell they want out there without being called out or benched. Just tired of seeing the same shit from this coach.
My guess is that is what they will feed the fanbase with if the are punted by the Bruins. The problem is also that we have the softest and most overpaid core in the NHL, and Dubas was never able to find a #1G to replace Andy when he allowed him to walk and sign Mrazek.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Why watch now, then?
I watched the second half on. I've watched them since I was 8. I've watched them for longer than any current Leaf has been alive.

It's annual sadistic tradition, that's why :)

'93 Was the big year of course but 2002 was the team I thought we had the horses to win it all. They were built for playoffs and I boasted as such at work at the time throughout the year and since I had won three hockey pools in a row others were convinced due to my confidence. That First Round Islanders series just wore them down beyond recovery unfortunately.

So here we are, 22 years later. I still hold out hope, but this core is flawed in the Cap error. If they would have made the big decisions in the offseason there was a far better chance. Now we reap what we sow I suppose.

There is a light potentially though in that this team is Jekyll and Hyde. Maybe the Bruins need to send some Mom insults over to the team to build some animosity I don't know. When this Leaf team plays with an unpleasant demeanour they are far more effective. Who isn't come playoffs?

Reactions: ToneDog

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Sadly it probably will. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see Murray at some point.
Did you mean Bill ?
1713364684283.png

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
My dark horse is Robertson. I suspect Keefe in his infinite wisdom won't allow him on the ice though so that's that.
In my limited widsom I wouldnt either barring injuries. He is not defensively sound nor is he a physical nuisance.

If he took a page out of Berts book, he would be a little more of a problem for the opposition and place them on their heels. Speed alone isn't the magic bullet in the shutdown, North/South, gridning playoffs.

Reactions: wingman75

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Throw the last few games out the window, and don’t really care they were 0-4 against Boston this season.

If Matthews/Marner and Nylander all show up, they can beat any team.
Marner will likely go head to head with Marchand and we know Marchand will try to intimidate him. It’ll be interesting to see how he responds.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
The only bit of hope I have in this team is thinking back to the Caps' cup where they lost the year prior after an all-in at the deadline (Shattenkirk) and lost some pieces in UFA. Then did almost nothing at the TDL the year they won the cup.

However, that Caps team still won their division..

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Only beat Swayman 4 times in 3 games.

Is that a lot less goals than usual ?

1.33 goals per game ?

Who turns it up to beat Swayman ?
JT who is -5 vs Boston ? Nylander who’s -4 ?

• Haha
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The only bit of hope I have in this team is thinking back to the Caps' cup where they lost the year prior after an all-in at the deadline (Shattenkirk) and lost some pieces in UFA. Then did almost nothing at the TDL the year they won the cup.

However, that Caps team still won their division..
That team had Ovi, their star; playing like a power forward. They also had Wilson in his prime and a few muckers. Ovi will not only go down as the highest scorer, but more importantly a Cup winner. Leafs may go down as the Marcel Dionnes of the NHL...great stats, no one talks about those who don't have rings and he played on one of the most dominant lines in NHL history.

This team needs to have Reilly et al playing with some vigor. Playoffs are different. If they don't know this by now they haven't learned a thing.

The analogy of war isn't designed to undermine what real war is like. It isn't war, it's a sport. However, the intensity and desperation is akin to war. The obvious difference is what is at stake which makes it profoundly different.

The team that enters the post season with this mentality will succeed. It's why guys like Reaves, Benoit and McCabb are so important. They are willing to risk more to win. As a soldier risks it all to win. It's that primal competition that draws fans to watch sports, especially hockey. We watch the competition of will between men without the gunfire and missiles.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Only beat Swayman 4 times in 3 games.

Is that a lot less goals than usual ?

1.33 goals per game ?

Who turns it up to beat Swayman ?
JT who is -5 vs Boston ? Nylander who’s -4 ?

You're comparing four random games played across the course of a season to a playoff series.

I am not an optimist who thinks we'll beat them 100% but to compare regular season games that included OT games to the playoffs is not sincere.

Nylander will definitely show up because he almost always does with or without Matthews on his line. My biggest question mark is Marner. I don't think he can handle the ramp up in physicality and fully expect him to get most of his points in the first 3-4 games. Expect him to be fully invisible as the games get tougher.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m already thread banned and infracted

How does a Boston poster get away with calling leafs fans “The most obnoxious fans in the league” without an infraction for trolling?

When I corrected him to say “well akshually Boston fans are the most obnoxious and racist fans in all of sports” I get thread banned and infracted for trolling

Someone’s gotta explain that, I don’t get it. That post stands so I think it’s fair game to chirp him back with facts
Perhaps the difference is that you also called them racists ?

similarly I see us “pushing back” on the ice and receiving infractions as if we’re major aggressors. Bruins should lean into the refs this series, even if their PP has been lacklustre. I expect game changing calls throughout the series (Toronto will try to set another tone early, and I’m not sure we’re ready for the calls)
Refs are going to be a problem. Good example last night. Benoit comes to defense of team mate and gets instigator. Tkachuk does the same later and no instigator.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Remember when Chiarot and Edmudnson got away with absolute murder that series? Just crushing anyone who came near the net with no penalties called? My question is if Edmunson and Benoit will get those same non-calls. My guess is, they won't.

This raises an interesting philosophical question for me.

If the Leafs dictate the style of play in the playoffs series and create their ideal environment, it’s going to be a mid tempo, skill based puck possession game. If the Leafs move out of their comfort zone and start throwing hits for hits this will land them into penalty trouble and throw them out of rhythm.

Who knows what will happen. I do stand by my assertion that this Boston team is just a generic random team that has no real connection to the 2010s teams. The Leafs are both fragile and resilient so I really don’t know what we’ll get.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It has never been a fair game when it comes to posting in different sections in this forum for Leafs fans. None of the mods are on our side so you're on your own if you decided to post outside of the Leafs forum.

I’ll take it, but it just goes to prove my point about them being the most obnoxious fans in sports

Only a bruins fan can get away with what a leaf fan can’t

But I’m all in for the chirps against the bruins to hell with the consequences, GO LEAFS GO

going to mop the floor with these pretenders

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Just know one thing - if the Leafs go up 2-0 on the Bruins at any point in any game of the series expect to receive calls for just breathing on Bruins players. "Playoff officiating" is a myth. And while up 2-0, also expect Bruins players to commit multiple dangerous infractions that go uncalled.

It's too predictable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m already thread banned and infracted

How does a Boston poster get away with calling leafs fans “The most obnoxious fans in the league” without an infraction for trolling?

When I corrected him to say “well akshually Boston fans are the most obnoxious and racist fans in all of sports” I get thread banned and infracted for trolling

Someone’s gotta explain that, I don’t get it. That post stands so I think it’s fair game to chirp him back with facts

I responded to a comment on the first or second page of that thread where some guy was whining about obnoxious leafs fans having quoted merely a post where someone had said he thinks the leafs have better offense and will win. There was nothing to it that could ever be construed as obnoxious.

So I called him out on being a sensitive little snowflake and suggested he forego interacting with people since he finds it so distressing.

Naturally this was promptly deleted.

The mains are just not worthwhile for us.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This raises an interesting philosophical question for me.

If the Leafs dictate the style of play in the playoffs series and create their ideal environment, it’s going to be a mid tempo, skill based puck possession game. If the Leafs move out of their comfort zone and start throwing hits for hits this will land them into penalty trouble and throw them out of rhythm.

Who knows what will happen. I do stand by my assertion that this Boston team is just a generic random team that has no real connection to the 2010s teams. The Leafs are both fragile and resilient so I really don’t know what we’ll get.

I wonder if the difference is, and always has been, who instigates the physicality.

The Leafs have often responded to their opponents playing physical and chasing that part of the game and getting hammered for it.

If they take the initiative to be the big blue bullies of Bay Street, does that change the perspective of the officials?

Most likely, you just can't say it because it is not pc.

Laaaaaaame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad