Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wonder if it is more that they don't yet trust the younger guy enough to give him the job (although there were rumors that they were trying to trade Ulllmark this season). All I am saying is it won't be a series where Boston's goalies simply steal every game. It will be about Toronto's ability to break Boston's structure, as other teams have done in every recent Bruins playoff failure. Pressure their defense and force turnovers.
If you go back and read your posts, you've said a fair bit more than that.

Objectively speaking, I think it's pretty clear that Boston has the edge in goaltending going in. If you asked Boston fans if they'd like to swap their goalies for ours, how many do you think would want to do that? For reference, their team SV% over the course of the season is 3rd overall, ours is 21st.

Me: "Your goalie take might be one of the funniest things I've seen on this site"

You: "Hold my beer"
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
iu

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Thu, Nov 2, 2023 vs Toronto Maple Leafs / Boston Win 3 - 2 OT/SO
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 @ Toronto Maple Leafs / Boston Win 4 - 3 OT
Mon, Mar 4, 2024 @ Toronto Maple Leafs / Boston Win 4 - 1
Thu, Mar 7, 2024 vs Toronto Maple Leafs / Boston Win 4 - 1

leafs.bruins.2023-2024.png

Leafs haven't scored a first period goal vs. Boston this year.

goal scorers this year vs Boston.

Auston Matthews x2
Mitch Marner x2
Max Domi
John Tavares

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I've accepted I will never see a Cup in my lifetime as a Leafs fan. I skipped the first half of the season for a reason, my hope banished to the wastebin with this core. Two years ago when they were robbed against T.B didn't help (remains to me the worst officiated series outside of the San Jose/Vegas series in 2019)...

Playoffs are intense so I hope they catch lightning in a bottle and I will watch every shift.

My dark horses this round are JT and Bertuzzi. Though Bert has a reputation for playoff success so it is expected. I will add McMann if he is healthy and Knies might be more of a nuisance than anticipated.

I also think Keefe may eventually decide to spread out more minutes for McCabb/ Benoit and less for Reilly. In order to be successful in the playoffs, teams have to be content with playing tight, one goal games. You take a 2-1 lead, shut the door and wait for teams mistakes and counter attack.

It is heavier North/South hockey that is intense and every error compounded. A teams mettle is tested. A test this core has failed time and again.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
View attachment 853694

Leafs haven't scored a first period goal vs. Boston this year.

goal scorers this year.

Auston Matthews x2
Mitch Marner x2
Max Domi
John Tavares

None of this shit matters though.

Does no one remember how the Sens were 5-0 or 6-0 against the Leafs in the regular season and then got swept by the Leafs in the playoffs?

This is a toss up and it would be a toss up even if the record against the Bruins was 4-0 in the regular season instead of 0-4.

Reactions: banks

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Most of the bruins core from the previous meetings between these teams is gone, you guys should take this one. Pulling for y'all, Leafs/Canes would be an awesome ECF matchup as it seems like every game between our teams is absolutely bonkers.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've accepted I will never see a Cup in my lifetime as a Leafs fan. I skipped the first half of the season for a reason, my hope banished to the wastebin with this core. Two years ago when they were robbed against T.B didn't help (remains to me the worst officiated series outside of the San Jose/Vegas series in 2019)...

Playoffs are fun for a reason so I will hope they catch lightning in a bottle and I will watch every game.

My dark horses this round are JT and Bertuzzi. Though Bert has a reputation for playoff success so it is expected. I will add McMann if he is healthy and Knies might be more of a nuisance than anticipated.

I also think Keefe may eventually decide to spread out more minutes for McCabb/ Benoit and less for Reilly. In order to be successful in the playoffs, teams have to be content with playing tight, one goal games. You take a 2-1 lead, shut the door and wait for teams mistakes and counter attack.

It is heavier North/South hockey that is intense and every error compounded. A teams mettle is tested. A test this core has failed time and again.
My dark horse is Robertson. I suspect Keefe in his infinite wisdom won't allow him on the ice though so that's that.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
My dark horse is Robertson. I suspect Keefe in his infinite wisdom won't allow him on the ice though so that's that.

Keefe is a dumbass and the only light at the end of the tunnel would be seeing him fired if we lose.

I fully expect Reaves to dress in more games than Robertson even though Robertson can be a dark horse on a 3rd/4th line.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I feel if both teams play their best night in and night out, the Leafs are better.

The problem I see with that is, the Leafs had one short run where they played at that level and are generally inconsistent otherwise. AND, our worst is way worse than Boston's.

Looking at things like special teams and goaltending, I think the B's have a clear advantage there as well. Could a goalie get hot, yup.

I will be cheering for our boys in blue, and I will be pissed off if they do lose... but that is the outcome I expect. Which sucks. The only light for me would be a shakeup in the organization, which is clearly due if they do not have some success this season. But, if the team does not change up the core of the team I believe all that is pointless.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Head to Head matchups this year.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If we are relying on Robertson to be the difference in this series, we are already done.
Good shooter, but not the difference maker in a seven game series. Hopefully he can contribute something positive, like everyone else.

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The decision for Montgomery comes down to Swayman's career excellence against the Leafs versus Ullmark's overall brilliance down the stretch. Regardless of who plays, the Bruins should have the edge at this position throughout the series.

Pretty sure the Leafs will be seeing both.

A lot of people pegged the Bruins collapse last year on Montgomery failing to swap out the goalies. Ullmark collapsed under the pressure and by the time Montgomery started Swayman in game 7 the momentum had already changed. This year there is no clear number one goalie in Boston, and I expect Montgomery will continue to rotate them same as he has all season, to at least avoid repeating what was seen as THE mistake that ruined their whole season.

A lot of fans were calling for Montgomery's head after blowing that series despite their record breaking regular season performance.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I feel if both teams play their best night in and night out, the Leafs are better.

The problem I see with that is, the Leafs had one short run where they played at that level and are generally inconsistent otherwise. AND, our worst is way worse than Boston's.

Looking at things like special teams and goaltending, I think the B's have a clear advantage there as well. Could a goalie get hot, yup.

I will be cheering for our boys in blue, and I will be pissed off if they do lose... but that is the outcome I expect. Which sucks. The only light for me would be a shakeup in the organization, which is clearly due if they do not have some success this season. But, if the team does not change up the core of the team I believe all that is pointless.
Well put. Agreed.

If we are relying on Robertson to be the difference in this series, we are already done.
Good shooter, but not the difference maker in a seven game series. Hopefully he can contribute something positive, like everyone else.
Not relying on him, just saying we've had trouble scoring in the playoffs and the kid can score so he could help, that's all.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Playoffs are intense so I hope they catch lightning in a bottle and I will watch every shift.

Why watch now, then?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
+/- TOR vs BOS 2023-2024

JT -5
Nylander -5
Lili -4
Rielly -4

Brodie -4
Kampf -2
Knies -2
Lyu -1
McCabe -1
Bert -1
Gregor -1
Holmberg -1
Domi and others are even.
Lagesson +1
Jarnkrok +1
Marner +1
Robertson +1
Matthews +1
Timmins +2

players not mentioned are even.

some red flags here.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Not relying on him, just saying we've had trouble scoring in the playoffs and the kid can score so he could help, that's all.
Fair. I think that is generally true across the board. Any team that wins multiple series or even the cup ends up with contributions up and down their lineup. It's not always goals, but as you say, that is technically the only thing this guy brings... so, if he's not scoring he's probably not contributing.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Five years ago, we failed to eliminate the Bruins in game 6, on home ice after Rielly made it 1-0. Hard to believe the lack of success since. This series should show how much our core has grown or how bad Dubas destroyed the rebuild.

If Montgomery loses in the first round again I imagine he will be fired. This is one of the few match-ups where the Leafs probably have the better coach, for whatever that is worth.
I can see that but Keefe is all but done if the Leafs lose to the Bruins. Keefe does not have what it takes to get this core over the hump IMO.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I can see that but Keefe is all but done if the Leafs lose to the Bruins. Keefe does not have what it takes to get this core over the hump IMO.
I think that's right. One of these coaches will be fired as a result of this series.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fair. I think that is generally true across the board. Any team that wins multiple series or even the cup ends up with contributions up and down their lineup. It's not always goals, but as you say, that is technically the only thing this guy brings... so, if he's not scoring he's probably not contributing.
I just remember all those times the series comes down to one game, and we can't buy a goal. But whatever, my expectations are lower than they've ever been with this core so not going to analyze too much, I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out. I'll be surprised if we win more than one round and if that's as far as we get, I hope we get at the very least a new coach.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Most of the bruins core from the previous meetings between these teams is gone, you guys should take this one. Pulling for y'all, Leafs/Canes would be an awesome ECF matchup as it seems like every game between our teams is absolutely bonkers.
Odds are better that we meet you guys on the golf course when the ECF starts. Canes will be in tough against the Rangers. As much as I like Andy, he is no Shesterkin when it counts.

We have Ulmark/Swayman and Bob/Stolarz in our path.

Good luck to both teams.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Pretty sure the Leafs will be seeing both.

A lot of people pegged the Bruins collapse last year on Montgomery failing to swap out the goalies. Ullmark collapsed under the pressure and by the time Montgomery started Swayman in game 7 the momentum had already changed. This year there is no clear number one goalie in Boston, and I expect Montgomery will continue to rotate them same as he has all season, to at least avoid repeating what was seen as THE mistake that ruined their whole season.

A lot of fans were calling for Montgomery's head after blowing that series despite their record breaking regular season performance.
I think most Bruins fans would say that Boston lost to Florida because the latter realized that pressuring Boston's defense created a massive number of turnovers, from which Boston's goalies were not able to bail them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad