Seravalli: Leafs targeting Carson Soucy?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If a deal happens it will be with either Columbus, LA, Vancouver, Arizona, Chicago or Seattle.

These are teams Dubas has a history with.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Be careful with CapFriendly summaries. That figure includes the cap hits of Muzzin/Robertson/Amirov without including them on the roster.

More accurately it's 11 players to sign with ~20m in projected capspace, of those 11, you have 6-7D and 10-13F for 4.65- 6m combined.
Those are good points. I didn't do a deep dive into the CapFriendly numbers.

Bunting is only getting paid $950k. Who would replace Bunting on the 1st line? Maybe the thinking is that the 1st line forward will be Robertson?

You still need three players for the 3rd line, a goalie, and whatever additional $s Matthews new contract will require.

I haven't done a deep analysis, but it will be an interesting offseason to see how this works out. I haven't reached any conclusions, or trying to make a point. I was just wondering.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
From a Kraken standpoint, that's a bad plan if it means Holl is the trade bait.

Welll I mean it depends? Holl has a long standing history of playing 20 min a night on a 100 pt team…. It looks like spicy plays 16?

It doesn’t matter what you or I think. But all I know is your coach loved Holl. Toronto media reported that he wanted Holl and that’s why we had to protect him and make that round about trade for McCann
Many leaf fans would have preferred to let him go.

But dubas and hakstoll disagreed.

I have no idea if that is the plan. But the dots are there to connect.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Frank Seravalli has reported that the Leafs primary area they want to upgrade is defense and that one of the guys they are targeting is Carson Soucy, this is an odd trade target to have.

Not because Toronto couldn't use another D man, of course they could you can never have to much defense because you don't need it until you do.

But because as of now Seattle is in a playoff spot now It's not the most secure spot but they are in a playoff spot so as of today it doesn't make sense.

Unless It's not a futures deal but more of a hockey deal.

A hockey deal could make sense

I can't imagine there's a hockey deal that makes sense for both teams.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well at first glance it makes no sense for Seattle to trade one of their defenseman with Cale Fleury and Gustav Oloffson being the #7 and #8 guys on the team.
Especially given how the season went so far and with the Kraken currently being in a playoff position.

On the other hand you've got a guy in Soucy who will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
I'm pretty sure Francis has talked to the agent and tried to get something done.
If those talks don't go anywhere and someone offers you something nice you at least have to think about it.

Right now I'd put it at 90/10 in favour of keeping Soucy, unless the team goes on a big losing streak before the TDL and slips out of the playoff picture, but I wouldn't put it as something that's completely impossible.
But of course, the price would have to right and it would cost teams.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If a randon HF poster was asked to guess and make up 10 trade rumors between now and the deadline, I'd bet 9 out of 10 would make more sense than this "rumor".

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well at first glance it makes no sense for Seattle to trade one of their defenseman with Cale Fleury and Gustav Oloffson being the #7 and #8 guys on the team.
Especially given how the season went so far and with the Kraken currently being in a playoff position.

On the other hand you've got a guy in Soucy who will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
I'm pretty sure Francis has talked to the agent and tried to get something done.
If those talks don't go anywhere and someone offers you something nice you at least have to think about it.

Right now I'd put it at 90/10 in favour of keeping Soucy, unless the team goes on a big losing streak before the TDL and slips out of the playoff picture, but I wouldn't put it as something that's completely impossible.
But of course, the price would have to right and it would cost teams.

Again the wild card here is that hakstoll was the leafs d coach for 2 years and loves Holl.

He played him as his shutdown D 20 min a night…. Not saying I agree but coaches vote with ice time. He played Holl way more than soucy

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Okay, I think I found the "source" for the rumors. It's a questionable rumor site. I'd rather not link it, but here's the text:

In a recent piece for Daily Faceoff, Frank Seravalli noted that the Toronto Maple Leafs’ primary objective at the trade deadline is to add a defenseman. This is an understandable objective, as the Maple Leafs have a very deep offense, but they also are dealing with injuries on defense. As a result of this report, one defenseman who could be on Toronto’s radar is Seattle Kraken defenseman, Carson Soucy.

Seravalli recently reported that the Kraken could look to trade Soucy at the deadline for the right price. Soucy has previously been on Toronto’s radar, so it does not seem too out of the question that they would try to make a push for him again. After all, he is a big-bodied defenseman who plays a physical game, is defensively responsible, and also can provide decent offense from time to time.

It would appear that the site is implying something that Seravalli did not directly say.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Frank Seravalli has reported that the Leafs primary area they want to upgrade is defense and that one of the guys they are targeting is Carson Soucy, this is an odd trade target to have.

Not because Toronto couldn't use another D man, of course they could you can never have to much defense because you don't need it until you do.

But because as of now Seattle is in a playoff spot now It's not the most secure spot but they are in a playoff spot so as of today it doesn't make sense.

Unless It's not a futures deal but more of a hockey deal.

A hockey deal could make sense
It is the primary focus .....some will disgaree but they don't understand...the player mentioned has been looked at but alpt depends on the standings in the next month or so

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Again the wild card here is that hakstoll was the leafs d coach for 2 years and loves Holl.

He played him as his shutdown D 20 min a night…. Not saying I agree but coaches vote with ice time. He played Holl way more than soucy

The Kraken don't need another RHD.
We already got Larsson, Schultz and Borgen(who's been really good) and the 7th defenseman is Cale Fleury, also another RHD.

I think it would rather be a younger guy that could fit a more longterm plan for Seattle and not Justin Holl, who's been terrible for Toronto.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Looking for D makes sense, asking on Soucy as the player makes sense, realistically getting him does not. This likely is a situation where Toronto called and got a quick no but someone leaked that they at least called on him

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't believe the leaks are actually targeting Carson Soucy.

I would like to see the original source of that rumour.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
You guys will have an interesting summer. 11 players to sign with $12.7 m of projected cap space. And also, what to do with Matthews before his NMC kicks in.
Been hearing this forever. Every summer is interesting in TO. There's a new fear mongering subject every year. "But how are you going to sign X/Y/Z?!"

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't believe the leaks are actually targeting Carson Soucy.

I would like to see the original source of that rumour.

The "source" is questionable at best, one of those bad rumor sites where the author says Seravalli said something and then added his own thoughts to make the rumor sound juicier.

Seravalli doesn't have Soucy on his site's (Daily Faceoff) top 30 likely trade targets.

The questionable rumor site then speculates that Toronto showed interest previously in Soucy, so they might still be interested.

I'd link it, but I don't think it's worth your time. I pasted the main part of the "article" in an earlier post.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Been hearing this forever. Every summer is interesting in TO. There's a new fear mongering subject every year. "But how are you going to sign X/Y/Z?!"
So what? Its going to get discussed I would imagine given how top heavy the Leafs are.

And, its a little more interesting this year with the Matthews situation given a NMC kicks in.

You have to have at least a little bit of thick skin when you are on internet discussion forum.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't think soucy would be that hard to pry out of seattle. i think seattle probably wants to upgrade on defense before the deadline and also would like to make space for ryker evans to get some nhl time. soucy is the most likely player to go to make room for any new defenders. they really like will borgen and larsson, dunn, oleksiak and schwartz are all firmly cemented in their top 4

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
So what? Its going to get discussed I would imagine given how top heavy the Leafs are.

And, its a little more interesting this year with the Matthews situation given a NMC kicks in.

You have to have at least a little bit of thick skin when you are on internet discussion forum.
Or try a narrative that’s not tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2