Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Mason Marchment

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
geez , i already gave Dubas credit for drafting Rielly/Kadri and Mathews yet that's still not enough praise

Kyle Dubas jumped in the Delorean, went back in time and took the form of Brian Burke in order to Draft Reilly and Kadri? Interesting.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Who exactly does anyone expect Bryan Marchment to know in the Leafs organization who would have even pull to get him signed to an AHL contract?

That's the biggest issue I'm having with this theory. He isn't directly connected to Lou, Shanny, Dubas, or Hunter

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
When healthy, I can confidently say that he has been one of the top 3 forwards on the Marlies this year. He plays a very similar game to what Connor Brown brings except he is bigger and a little faster imo.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. Very insightful.

You're welcome. He's got a shit load of forwards to jump ahead of. And even if he does, That is assuming we let go of JVR, Plekanec, Bozak and Komarov and make no signings for depth this summer.

I mean it's plausible but probably not realistic. I hope he makes it with us but he's got a long way to go before becoming a regular anytime soon

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
When healthy, I can confidently say that he has been one of the top 3 forwards on the Marlies this year. He plays a very similar game to what Connor Brown brings except he is bigger and a little faster imo.
i can see that. he's been fantastic

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
You're welcome. He's got a **** load of forwards to jump ahead of. And even if he does, That is assuming we let go of JVR, Plekanec, Bozak and Komarov and make no signings for depth this summer.

I mean it's plausible but probably not realistic. I hope he makes it with us but he's got a long way to go before becoming a regular anytime soon
Marchment likely tops out as a good 4th liner, so it's reasonable to assume Leafs mgmt would rather kids like Grundstrom/Bracco/Korshkov that you say are ahead of him get big minutes in the AHL with a focus on developing them instead of limited non-developmental minutes on the 4th line. But with Marchment, he doesn't have enough high end potential to go above a good 4th liner IMO, so think they'd be willing to toss him in next season.

We'll see how it plays out.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marchment likely tops out as a good 4th liner, so it's reasonable to assume Leafs mgmt would rather kids like Grundstrom/Bracco/Korshkov that you say are ahead of him get big minutes in the AHL with a focus on developing them instead of limited non-developmental minutes on the 4th line. But with Marchment, he doesn't have enough high end potential to go above a good 4th liner IMO, so think they'd be willing to toss him in next season.

We'll see how it plays out.

i respect your point of view, I just think there is zero percent chance he makes the leafs team next season. This season already proved with Matt Martin out of the line up that they are looking to run four skilled lines, Grunstrom will likely get the Kapanen treatment and start on the fourth line next year. The pipe lines are crazy for us right now. We are playing well and we don't even have Matthews right now

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You're welcome. He's got a **** load of forwards to jump ahead of. And even if he does, That is assuming we let go of JVR, Plekanec, Bozak and Komarov and make no signings for depth this summer.

Would you have said Zach Hyman would be 4th on the team right now in 5v5 points two years ago (just 1 pt behind Marner)? That's better than Kadri, JvR, Marleau and Bozak. No, I wouldn't either, but there it is.

There's no reason at all for the leafs to sign winger depth this summer, and maybe reason to sign one center. As for the loads of forwards, we're looking at having to replace over the next 2 years, JvR, Komarov, Martin, and add another wing position if Nylander is moved into Bozak's slot. That's 4 right there. If Leivo doesn't pan out thats another. As far as I can see there will be a need for 5-6 forwards to fill out the 13/14 places on the roster by 2019 even with Lievo, Johnsson, Kapanen and Aaltonen in regular slots (I only see Hyman and Brown of the regular wingers we have now come 2019 still on the wings for us - Nylander should be at center by then). Are there currently *5* forwards that will be on the Marlies ahead of Marchment next September? There *might* be two or maybe three tops the way things are going. Should he keep on progressing as he as in his Hyman shaped arc, he's just as likely to be head of the class that will include Korshkov, Bracco & maybe Engvall or an overachieving rookie on the Marlies come Sept. 2019 when the next two or three forwards will have to graduate.

I think he'll probably be a replacement level player next year for a look at how he handles the NHL. 2019 will be his best chance to be a starter, even if its on the 4th line (although did anyone think Hyman would be where he is either?) Given the team will have just set around 40% of the cap for the top three and possibly a #1 defenseman, he's likely to enjoy the best cost/benefit status for a bottom sixer as much as any other reason to have him on the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->