Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Mason Marchment

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why do you automatically assume that it's 'because of his dad'? Do you have proof? Or is it just every former NHL has to get his kid a shot in the AHL?

It's entirely possible you're correct, and it's also entirely possible that Dubas rolled the dice on a 6'4 late blooming forward (his development between 18-23 has been something) with a huge shot by signing him to an AHL deal. Dubas did this a few times with players out of CHL, this one 'hit' in terms of earning himself an ELC. So it's not unreasonable to think Dubas looking to take advantage of the AHL system, was trying to unearth some gems. Since his OHL career started at 19 he's certainly taken big steps forward each year.

Hopefully he can develop into a big body 4th liner that can chip in at both ends of the ice.
do you actually think it wasn't because of his dad , seriously ?

now i'm not saying he's getting an elc because of his dad , i'm just saying he got the opportunity from his dad and he's made the most of it
and yea many former NHLers open doors for there kids , i don't know why you you'd find that so strange since it's very common unless of course you like J Hoser are looking to heap praise on Dubas for anything you can because you believe Shanny's on here monitoring what we're saying to help make his decision on who our next GM is , lol

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
no the opportunity granted to him was because of his dad , what he's making of it is of his doing

lots of NHLers get there kids opportunities there normally would never have gotten so i don't know why you're getting all riled up for no reason

Because your statements are misleading. The nepotism you suggest was 'at best' to offer a chance for Marchment to suit up for Orlando not the Marlies, which is not really a stretch for a kid who finished his term in the OHL as a PPG player. Is that really unusual? He got promoted to the Marlies because he had a solid rookie season in Orlando - 14 goals in 35 games and 5pts in 7 playoff games and impressed at the Rookie tournament. And he's earned his ELC by playing well both up and down the Marlies lineup. Maybe his dad said to Shanahan or Dubas at some point, "hey, check out my kid". Who cares? If so, he did a favor for the Leafs, AFAIC. Mason's got NHL potential and for might be a plausible replacement for the far more expensive Matt Martin with a Hyman-type ceiling. And that's all that really matters.

Reactions: stickty111

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

now i'm not saying he's getting an elc because of his dad , i'm just saying he got the opportunity from his dad and he's made the most of it
and yea many former NHLers open doors for there kids , i don't know why you you'd find that so strange since it's very common unless of course you like J Hoser are looking to heap praise on Dubas for anything you can because you believe Shanny's on here monitoring what we're saying to help make his decision on who our next GM is , lol
Do you have any proof of this? I'm sure his Dad helped him along but to have the opportunity all because of his father?

It seems like Michael Nylander might have been the guy to let the Leafs know.

"In this reality, he was scouted by the Leafs, perhaps helped along by the fact he played for the Mississauga Steelheads, who had a fellow named Michael Nylander on staff at the time. In the spring of 2016, he was signed to an ATO with the Marlies."

Maple Leafs sign Mason Marchment to an ELC beginning next season

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

I'm saying I don't know and neither do you. And to undercut a kid or Dubas because you think he got a shot because of his dad is unfair. J Hoser may be a praise heaper, but you sound like your going out of your way to steer attention away from Dubas. I don't care who the next GM is as long as he directs this team properly. Maybe his dad was a factor, maybe it was just an added bonus that he has NHL genes.

I think it's more likely that Dubas rolled the dice on someone that their scouts liked. Being on McDavid's team probably got him a bit of exposure. Just like Dubas did with Tyler Wong, Ty Stanton, Jack Rodewall, Chase Witala etc that year - they rolled the dice. Marchment was one ELC from a sea of PTO's/ATOs that get signed every year. But this speaks to the advantage the Leafs can have. Sign a boat load of undrafted talent and see what can come from it. There may be 1 in 15 that earn an ELC, but it's worth it if you can afford the development costs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because your statements are misleading. The nepotism you suggest was 'at best' to offer a chance for Marchment to suit up for Orlando not the Marlies, which is not really a stretch for a kid who finished his term in the OHL as a PPG player. Is that really unusual? He got promoted to the Marlies because he had a solid rookie season in Orlando - 14 goals in 35 games and 5pts in 7 playoff games and impressed at the Rookie tournament. And he's earned his ELC by playing well both up and down the Marlies lineup. Maybe his dad said to Shanahan or Dubas at some point, "hey, check out my kid". Who cares? If so, he did a favor for the Leafs, AFAIC. Mason's got NHL potential and for might be a plausible replacement for the far more expensive Matt Martin with a Hyman-type ceiling. And that's all that really matters.
first off he wasn't a ppg in his final season in the O , he had 20g and 51 pts in 61 games as an overager which is mediocre offensive production for a 20 year old

I already said his dad just opened the door and the rest he earned himself so whats the problem ?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm saying I don't know and neither do you. And to undercut a kid or Dubas because you think he got a shot because of his dad is unfair. J Hoser may be a praise heaper, but you sound like your going out of your way to steer attention away from Dubas. I don't care who the next GM is as long as he directs this team properly. Maybe his dad was a factor, maybe it was just an added bonus that he has NHL genes.

I think it's more likely that Dubas rolled the dice on someone that their scouts liked. Being on McDavid's team probably got him a bit of exposure. Just like Dubas did with Tyler Wong, Ty Stanton, Jack Rodewall, Chase Witala etc that year - they rolled the dice. Marchment was one ELC from a sea of PTO's/ATOs that get signed every year. But this speaks to the advantage the Leafs can have. Sign a boat load of undrafted talent and see what can come from it. There may be 1 in 15 that earn an ELC, but it's worth it if you can afford the development costs.

you don't know but you think it was Dubas based on what exactly ? i could easily say it was Hunter or one of Hunter's scouts since they're the one's in the arena's doing the scouting

the chances it wasn't his dad helping him get a minor league deal to start off in Orlando and which doesn't affect the team in any negative way are slim to none

at the end of the day if you don't believe any former NHLers open doors for there kids that's fine but very naive

i also guess you believe sons of former GM's like Shero/Bowman/JFJ/Flecther among other also didn't open doors for there kids either

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
you don't know but you think it was Dubas based on what exactly ? i could easily say it was Hunter or one of Hunter's scouts since they're the one's in the arena's doing the scouting

the chances it wasn't his dad helping him get a minor league deal to start off in Orlando and which doesn't affect the team in any negative way are slim to none

at the end of the day if you don't believe any former NHLers open doors for there kids that's fine but very naive

i also guess you believe sons of former GM's like Shero/Bowman/JFJ/Flecther among other also didn't open doors for there kids either

I think it was Dubas because he's the GM of the Marlies? Therefore the signing was likely done by..him? And yes, scouts were involved as manager moves usually come from a collection of minds providing information. It could have very well been Hunter too. He has a strong OHL connection.

My point is you're being a dick to purposefully undercut Dubas (is what I'm gathering by the general tone in your responses) as taking any credit for this move. You're being intentionally obtuse. You're the ying to a SeaofBlues pro Dubas yang. "His dad got him the job, he must know or they owe him a favour", "Maybe we can credit Dubas if he turns into a 4th liner", "Maybe it's Shanahan because their the same age and they hit each other back in 1998."

Yes, fathers and family figures open doors for their kids. But this isn't Ray Shero's nephew. Just call it what it is and stop trying to knock Dubas for one successful undrafted free agent out of a dozen others that didn't amount to shit. Credit to Mason, credit to the Marlies development team, credit to the management/scouts for turning an unpolished prospect into a gud pro.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

I really doubt that Marchment would have gotten even the ECHL spot he did if he hadn't shown the kind of progress he did in his 2nd OHL year no matter who his dad was.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"

Yes, fathers and family figures open doors for their kids. But this isn't Ray Shero's nephew. Just call it what it is and stop trying to knock Dubas for one successful undrafted free agent out of a dozen others that didn't amount to ****. Credit to Mason, credit to the Marlies development team, credit to the management/scouts for turning an unpolished prospect into a gud pro.

Anthony Brodeur hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I could see family connection helping get him an invite, but everything else was up to him.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He's not his father, and he's not like Martin. He uses his body like JvR, but works harder. Not all big guys play with an edge, but as long as they use their bodies to their advantage, as he (and Gauthier) have done for the Marlies this season, then there is nothing to worry about.

Its good he's not like his Dad. Bryan was a dirty player who intentionally injured a whole lot of other players (including Leafs such as Clark and Gartner). No way Mason or anyone else should get away with the kind of sh*t his dad pulled (and was repeatedly suspended for).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think it was Dubas because he's the GM of the Marlies? Therefore the signing was likely done by..him? And yes, scouts were involved as manager moves usually come from a collection of minds providing information. It could have very well been Hunter too. He has a strong OHL connection.

My point is you're being a dick to purposefully undercut Dubas (is what I'm gathering by the general tone in your responses) as taking any credit for this move. You're being intentionally obtuse. You're the ying to a SeaofBlues pro Dubas yang. "His dad got him the job, he must know or they owe him a favour", "Maybe we can credit Dubas if he turns into a 4th liner", "Maybe it's Shanahan because their the same age and they hit each other back in 1998."

Yes, fathers and family figures open doors for their kids. But this isn't Ray Shero's nephew. Just call it what it is and stop trying to knock Dubas for one successful undrafted free agent out of a dozen others that didn't amount to ****. Credit to Mason, credit to the Marlies development team, credit to the management/scouts for turning an unpolished prospect into a gud pro.

i guess calling me a dick has changed my mind so of course it was Dubas who found him

and of course Bowman/Shero/Fletcher/JFJ all had zero help from there dads to open doors so they could one day progress to running teams like there fathers , they just happened to inherit the Hockey GM gene from there fathers

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
are you okay ?

how desperate does someone have to be to call Mason Marchment "another great find" by KD when it's obvious someone in the organization was doing his dad a favor by even giving this kid a shot at the Marlies

i think we're better off giving Dubas credit for his "great finds" like Rielly and Kadri , at least these 2 "great finds" are extremely important to the Leafs future unlike Marchment

How desperate do YOU have to be to take such an insignificant comment and act like it's a big controversy?

Reactions: stickty111

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I really doubt that Marchment would have gotten even the ECHL spot he did if he hadn't shown the kind of progress he did in his 2nd OHL year no matter who his dad was.

i'll put it this way , in 09 we drafted Steve Smiths son Barron in the 7th rd even though the kid wasn't good enough to dress regularly

it's not a big deal , hockey's a small community and they help each other out when they can

and as i said , after his dad opened the door the kid earned the rest

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
i guess calling me a dick has changed my mind so of course it was Dubas who found him

and of course Bowman/Shero/Fletcher/JFJ all had zero help from there dads to open doors so they could one day progress to running teams like there fathers , they just happened to inherit the Hockey GM gene from there fathers

Again, players do get doors opened for them - no disputing that. But not everyone who has a family connection to the NHL automatically gets there or a door opened to them because of it. The model that ULF provided (Anthony Brodeur) would hold more weight if the Leafs went and signed him tomorrow. That was someone who likely got a door opened for him in his draft year: sub-par stats, drafted in 7th round by the team that his HOF dad played and won cups for (I think Martin was with the team too at that point).

But if you need to find 6 degrees of separation to get a connection to the Leafs than maybe you're reaching. I'm not saying your wrong in theory, I'm saying trying to apply that here seems to be a stretch for sake of being against Dubas or at least posters that pump his tires too much for your liking? If it makes you feel better, Hunter probably had a role in it too.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How desperate do YOU have to be to take such an insignificant comment and act like it's a big controversy?
my last sentence in the post i replied to you was pretty much tongue in check but i should have know any comment that doesn't praise Dubas like the second coming will get you attacked by his followers

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Literally anything Dubas might have had a hand in will be discredited by him. Literally anything.

It's getting very weird.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Literally anything Dubas might have had a hand in will be discredited by him. Literally anything.

It's getting very weird.
geez , i already gave Dubas credit for drafting Rielly/Kadri and Mathews yet that's still not enough praise

Longtimeleaffan85

Feb 8, 2018
Nhl bloodlines apparently !!!
Opening doors!!! I think siblings open doors for one another ....look at blake kessel , jared staal,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad