Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Leivo has become the new Jeremy Williams. Remember that guy? Career AHLer but every time he got called up he'd score and then get sent down again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hope Leivo replaced Komarov on the PP. hes awful this year. Leivo is a big enough body and he has a scoring touch

Lets just not talk about Komarov on the PP. I find it very upsetting and it makes me want to run for a safe space! Make it stop! Please no more Komarov on the PP.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Pretty much this. I laugh everytime I read certain people on here banging the drum about the latest 5th line guy we have trying to crack the lineup. There are certain people on here who I'm convinced never watch games.

And you're making this assessment on Leivo by watching Marlies games?
The guy is fricken 23

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
you can easily give martin a night off and play leivo, its not like martin is lighting it up...every other winger has key roles on the team right now that babs likes

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he is in for brown next game, brown has tailed off lately and a watching a game will do him some good I think. Komarov would be the ideal candidate to sit but I think/hope they are trying to pump his vaule

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I wouldn't doubt the Leafs are trying not to play Leivo or Corrado until it is impossible to hit the games played limit for the expansion draft. Would prevent them from needing to protect said players.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I wouldn't doubt the Leafs are trying not to play Leivo or Corrado until it is impossible to hit the games played limit for the expansion draft. Would prevent them from needing to protect said players.

If we lose someone that is worse than either of them, we've gamed the lottery system pretty well. That'll be LV worst pick in the draft.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leivo 5 goals in 12 games, Komerov 3 in 27. One plays 16 minutes a night withh PP time while the other is riding the press box.

I'll give Leivo a shot with Matthews. Matthews could use a big winger along the boards.
Brown looks good one game and kind of not good for 3 games. Hyman is Hyman. I have come to terms that Hyman will be tied to Matthews hip for the rest of his life. If Hyman gets injured, Matthews will probabaly be benched

Leivo has good shot and knack for scoring goals and can be good along the boards

Babs will never split Matthews and Hyman up baring injury.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
If we lose someone that is worse than either of them, we've gamed the lottery system pretty well. That'll be LV worst pick in the draft.

Without having to protect Leivo or Corrado it might be exactly as you said.

As Per Cap Friendly

Lupul - Needs to play 24 Games - Wont need to protect him
Leivo- Needs to play 35 Games - Wont need to protect him

Laich - UFA
Michalek - UFA
Greening - UFA
Smith - UFA

Kadri - Protected
Van Riemsdyk - Protected
Bozak - Protected
Komarov - Protected
Rychel - Protected
Brown - Protected
Leipsic - Protected

Martin - 3 more years at $2.5M Per
Froese - RFA after the season

Corrado - Needs to play 30 Games - Wont need to protect him

Hunwick - UFA
Polak - UFA
Campbell - UFA

Rielly - Protected
Gardiner - Protected
Carrick - Protected

Marincin - 1 more year at $1.25M
Loov - RFA

Enroth - UFA

Andersen - Protected

Bibeau - RFA
Sparks - RFA

LV has the option of picking from the following if they don't play Leivo or Corrado for the required amount of games

Martin - 3 more years at $2.5M Per
Froese - RFA after the season
Marincin - 1 more year at $1.25M
Loov - RFA
Bibeau - RFA
Sparks - RFA

My guess is they set up Marincin so that teams would want to select him over a G or F.
I say let Leivo and Corrado sit in the press box for the necessary amount of games left to ensure LV has basically nothing to take from us

Interesting note: Even if LV wanted to select a player from us to play in the minors for future players, Bibeau is the only player who doesn't need to clear waivers next season. With all of the goalie talent that will be available it just doesn't make sense to draft Bibeau.

Last edited:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I think he is in for brown next game, brown has tailed off lately and a watching a game will do him some good I think. Komarov would be the ideal candidate to sit but I think/hope they are trying to pump his vaule

You could say the same about Marner, he can sit a game too, if you want to play that game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You could say the same about Marner, he can sit a game too, if you want to play that game.

ok? what is more likely though Marner or Brown sit? Marner was on the 4th line for 1 and a half games then put back.

edit: in any case I said that about 3 games ago, so I was wrong. But Marner was showing no signs of being demoted then

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
ok? what is more likely though Marner or Brown sit? Marner was on the 4th line for 1 and a half games then put back.

edit: in any case I said that about 3 games ago, so I was wrong. But Marner was showing no signs of being demoted then

Did I miss a complete game. I thought Marner played the 1st period against the AVs on the 4th line and then was moved back up with JVR and Bozak. That would be 1/3 of a game or 1 period.

Did I miss a game?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Did I miss a complete game. I thought Marner played the 1st period against the AVs and then was moved back up with JVR and Bozak. That would be 1/3 of a game or 1 period.

Did I miss a game?

oh I thought he was on the 4th against Boston? I cant remember now but if that is the case that furthers my point on if they sat someone for Leivo brown seems the likely candidate

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
oh I thought he was on the 4th against Boston? I cant remember now but if that is the case that furthers my point on if they sat someone for Leivo brown seems the likely candidate

Well, no, he wasn't on the 4th line against Boston. There was a huge to-do and commotion over the fact he was played for 1 period on the 4th line against the Avs. I'm surprised you would think he could of been on the 4th line for an entire game against Boston, - the media would have gone nuts over that i would imagine - specially since we won that game 4 to 1.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nice bit of condescension there.

When Smith is on the ice the other team is more likely to control the puck: he's not good defensively.

It comes down to the logic of is it worth wasting a roster spot in a guy who only holds minor value in PK situations (and even here most people just cite his face off win % when claiming he's good at that role) when you could have a player also be able to play well in 5v5 situations AND the PK.

Not doubting your opinion but wondering which metric you used to come to that conclusion?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well, no, he wasn't on the 4th line against Boston. There was a huge to-do and commotion over the fact he was played for 1 period on the 4th line against the Avs. I'm surprised you would think he could of been on the 4th line for an entire game against Boston, - the media would have gone nuts over that i would imagine - specially since we won that game 4 to 1.

well either way my initial point to Leafsdude was Brown would sit if leivo came in to play a game

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he for sure doesnt play over hyman, brown, smith, or leo...they've given us one of leagues better PKs, been babs 4 PK forwards all year

one of main reasons why leivo isnt playing is he doesnt PK, and his skating hinders his defensive and fore checking game

Last edited:

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I think we've only lost one game due to injury up front (not counting Lupul, Horton). No way management could have planned for that. Leivo would probably be in the lineup if someone was hurt right now (depending who of course, probably doesn't replace a pker.)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think we've only lost one game due to injury up front (not counting Lupul, Horton). No way management could have planned for that. Leivo would probably be in the lineup if someone was hurt right now (depending who of course, probably doesn't replace a pker.)

That's an interesting point. I've said several times that we've been lucky so far having no injuries but that "side effect" never occurred to me.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
I just dont get how a guy (Leivo) voted as an AHL allstar last year riding shotgun with Nylander gets no chance to showcase what he can do over most of the same guys who were also in the AHL last year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->