Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

Number13

May 21, 2007
A waste of a contract spot at this point. I would take Kapanen, Soshnikov, Leivo, Leipsic, Rychel, Johnnson, Griffith, Grundstrom and even Dickie Clune ahead of Aaltonen.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
We used to follow, hope, and pray that a guy like Dale Mitchell will make it.

Now I hardly give a **** about this guy, or even about a prospect like Bracco.

This is so true.

5 years ago you'd be seeing posts like "I hope Bracco will mesh well with Kessel and Kadri next season"

"Bracco - Kadri - Kessel"

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
A waste of a contract spot at this point. I would take Kapanen, Soshnikov, Leivo, Leipsic, Rychel, Johnnson, Griffith, Grundstrom and even Dickie Clune ahead of Aaltonen.

It's only a one-year ELC deal :laugh: its a smart move for the leafs.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Talk about dramatic... It's a one year deal - he could land in the ECHL, AHL, or NHL.

IMO he'll be a good player to have on the Marlies top 6.

I personally can't see all of Leivo, Leipsic, Rychel and Griffith returning next season.. We have a couple guys on their way up to the Marlies as well.. They look like trade bait

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just another possible Center option, we are not the deepest down the middle especially with Bozak on the way out in the not so distant future.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Talk about dramatic... It's a one year deal - he could land in the ECHL, AHL, or NHL.

IMO he'll be a good player to have on the Marlies top 6.

I personally can't see all of Leivo, Leipsic, Rychel and Griffith returning next season.. We have a couple guys on their way up to the Marlies as well.. They look like trade bait

Not being dramatic, we just don't need him and his contract inhibits our ability to make trades and sign free agents that fit a better need.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not being dramatic, we just don't need him and his contract inhibits our ability to make trades and sign free agents that fit a better need.

We have enough contract space to make trades and sign players. We will not be resigning some of our current contract spots. In the AHL and NHL we have only 37 players signed for next year which includes this signing!

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Why is it a wasted contract? I don't understand that. I am sure the management is not going to sign every single prospects from last year and people working at a higher management level are not stupid to sign some one and waste a contract / spot and for apparently no reason you guys discuss and keep on arguing about the spots and the contract

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People are reading way two much into this. We're losing our cushion of nhl ready forward depth, and we've got nothing at c. Aaltonen gives us a guy that flit back and forth through waivers and hopefully be passable at 2 positions at the NHL level. Allows us to avoid calling prospects before we want to, outside chance he shows himself to be a true asset

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Every time I read we don't need him, I'm picturing at least a dozen injuries next season and think we're doomed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Every time I read we don't need him, I'm picturing at least a dozen injuries next season and think we're doomed.

a dozen injuries, we have prospects who could come up who have far more experience in NA who could fill in and get a taste. Lindberg, Rychel, Kapanen, Timashov, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Soshnikov etc.

I don't think Aaltonen is that much better than those above that we would be doomed without him. In saying that he's here now so we will see in camp

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Is JVR one of those guys who Maple-Leafs has to protect for Las Vegas expansion draft?.
And how about Komarov his contract with Maple-Leafs expires next year and if i'm not mistaken Komarov becomes UFA player in 1st July 2018.

The prevalent, current thinking around here is that JVR will be flipped for a now young, but eventual HoF defender. GLG.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Games I saw him at the World Championships, he was average at best. May help Marlies but don't think he'll be in the NHL anytime soon.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Games I saw him at the World Championships, he was average at best. May help Marlies but don't think he'll be in the NHL anytime soon.

Our coach saw him so he now has the info. he needs to instruct his summer preparations for next season whether it's the Marlies or Leafs.

Not much has been said about him in the media since the start of the WHC. It was noted that Finland stopped using him after a couple bad games to start.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

To be fair, it was kind of hard to not look average on that team. Very, very flat performance. Ville Pokka and Rantanen were pretty much the only ones that stood out in any way.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
a dozen injuries, we have prospects who could come up who have far more experience in NA who could fill in and get a taste. Lindberg, Rychel, Kapanen, Timashov, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Soshnikov etc.

I don't think Aaltonen is that much better than those above that we would be doomed without him. In saying that he's here now so we will see in camp

Those guys you listed are all wingers, whereas Aaltonen can play center. I don't think they're all competing for the same spots.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He played most of the season with Karpat as a center, so it's possible the Leafs see him as a center more than a winger.

Where do peeps see Aalt playing with Moore signed? After playing in the KHL last season, is starting on the Marlies a possibility or will the Leafs make room and carry him and Leivo as extras - putting Kappy on the Marlies instead?

Marleau Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Hyman Moore Martin

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Carrick Marincin
Rosen

Andersen
McBack-up

Leivo
Aalt
Kapanen (AHL)?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Where do peeps see Aalt playing with Moore signed? After playing in the KHL last season, is starting on the Marlies a possibility or will the Leafs make room and carry him and Leivo as extras - putting Kappy on the Marlies instead?

Unless the Leafs move out some bodies, Aaltonen is starting on the Marlies 99% sure.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Judging from his World Championships, I'm almost expecting him to come to camp and not be able to keep up with pre-season NHL then end up heading back to the KHL before the AHL season even starts. Why stay in North America making under $100k when he could earn up to $1M in the KHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad