Sportsnet: Leafs Search To Replace Mark Hunter And Possibly Lamoriello

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts;

“14. With Brandon Pridham promoted and Laurence Gilman hired, the Maple Leafs are now looking to replace Mark Hunter’s spot in the organization. There’s a ton of interest. As Jeff Marek pointed out, a lot of the educated guessing surrounds Wes Clark, and we’re not talking about the retired U.S. Army General. Clark, 35, was Dubas’s first hire at OHL Sault Ste. Marie and later came to Toronto. He left for the Florida Panthers in 2016, where he is an amateur scout. (Cue the conspiracy music — he’s also tight with John Tavares.)

One NHL exec — who isn’t interested in the position — said that if the Maple Leafs wanted, they could simply draw up a list of people with local connections who would probably love to come back. Off the top of his head, he threw out Sean Burke (played for the old OHL Marlies, now with Montreal), Mike Futa (Toronto-born, Los Angeles), Scott Howson (Toronto-born, Edmonton) and two from the St. Louis front office, Bill Armstrong and Rob DiMaio, both of whom live in the city. Another GM wondered if Dubas will keep two of Hunter’s lieutenants, Lindsay Hofford and Jim Paliafito.
“They do a lot of the legwork,” he said.

Then there’s the question of whether or not they will put someone in Lou Lamoriello’s advisory role. I’m not convinced it will happen, especially since it is believed Ron Francis wishes to sit out a year. If I were in Dubas’s shoes, the thing that would tempt me is information. Knowledge is power in this business and someone like Chuck Fletcher, who was just in a GM chair, could bring a ton of intel.”

Reactions: rubous

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts;

“14. With Brandon Pridham promoted and Laurence Gilman hired, the Maple Leafs are now looking to replace Mark Hunter’s spot in the organization. There’s a ton of interest. As Jeff Marek pointed out, a lot of the educated guessing surrounds Wes Clark, and we’re not talking about the retired U.S. Army General. Clark, 35, was Dubas’s first hire at OHL Sault Ste. Marie and later came to Toronto. He left for the Florida Panthers in 2016, where he is an amateur scout. (Cue the conspiracy music — he’s also tight with John Tavares.)

One NHL exec — who isn’t interested in the position — said that if the Maple Leafs wanted, they could simply draw up a list of people with local connections who would probably love to come back. Off the top of his head, he threw out Sean Burke (played for the old OHL Marlies, now with Montreal), Mike Futa (Toronto-born, Los Angeles), Scott Howson (Toronto-born, Edmonton) and two from the St. Louis front office, Bill Armstrong and Rob DiMaio, both of whom live in the city. Another GM wondered if Dubas will keep two of Hunter’s lieutenants, Lindsay Hofford and Jim Paliafito.
“They do a lot of the legwork,” he said.

Then there’s the question of whether or not they will put someone in Lou Lamoriello’s advisory role. I’m not convinced it will happen, especially since it is believed Ron Francis wishes to sit out a year. If I were in Dubas’s shoes, the thing that would tempt me is information. Knowledge is power in this business and someone like Chuck Fletcher, who was just in a GM chair, could bring a ton of intel.”
So, still a baseless claim?

I'd also add, weird to emphasise that if they are just replacing a director of scouting why they talk about moving back to Toronto as a bonus. One, a bunch of director of scouting live in the GTA (For example Tod Button) and two, the Leafs director of scouting doesn't need to live in Toronto.

As for Hofford, I'll be surprised if he's even at the draft table.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really doubt the Leafs can get a head scout now, probably in the summer when the draft is over.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I really doubt the Leafs can get a head scout now, probably in the summer when the draft is over.

Even if they got one beforehand I doubt the team that he's currently employed with is going to let him sit at the Leafs draft table

We're certainly not letting Hunter do that

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Even if they got one beforehand I doubt the team that he's currently employed with is going to let him sit at the Leafs draft table

We're certainly not letting Hunter do that
Exactly. That's why I doubt the new head of scouting is coming before the draft. I would also going to say that either the Leafs had no intention of signing JT or JT already hinted a firm No or Yes to the Leafs bc there is no way Shanny would let Lou go to the Islanders with their game plan.

Reactions: Kiwi

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Exactly. That's why I doubt the new head of scouting is coming before the draft. I would also going to say that either the Leafs had no intention of signing JT or JT already hinted a firm No or Yes to the Leafs bc there is no way Shanny would let Lou go to the Islanders with their game plan.
If Tavares wants to be a Leaf it shouldn't matter if it's Lou or Mike Bossy going after him. We want people who blead teal (or blue and white) like Jumbo Joe's statement. Not people we have to beg, steal, trick or maneuver into signing.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

From the tidbits I read, it looks like Dubas will head the draft with the current scouts in place from the various regions and he will hire a Head Scout in the summer. Makes sense.

Dubas also strongly hinted at making changes and adding more staff over the summer, which again is no surprise.

I'd fully expect John Lilley and Lindsay Hofford to leave. I fully expect Wes Clark and Victor Carneiro to be added. The latter 2 spoke highly of Dubas in Siegels recent Dubas article.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is Toronto, guys will line-up to work here which is what Friedman mentioned an NHL exec said. I am sure other fans hated that, but it is true. The scouting budget is massive. Lou will have a much bigger challenge on a financially strapped team on the Isles.
I am not worried at all. Our top scout will make more than Carolina's GM does.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think Dubas wants to put his stamp on this team now that he has the job. He has some like minded thinkers in Pridham and Gilman in administration roles, I doubt he needs any more senior advisors hanging around throwing curves into the plan. He has Shanny and Babcock as pretty good team members that way. I suppose Lemaire will follow Lou to NYI and Fletcher is more ornamental now than anything.

Dubas is going to hire a head scout that will have a similar outlook. Who that is I don't know, but they won't be a "yes man" or have divergent view of what skill and traits they are looking for. That may take some intense interviewing this summer but he probably already knows who those people are.

Reactions: Menzinger

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Dubas wants to put his stamp on this team now that he has the job. He has some like minded thinkers in Pridham and Gilman in administration roles, I doubt he needs any more senior advisors hanging around throwing curves into the plan. He has Shanny and Babcock as pretty good team members that way. I suppose Lemaire will follow Lou to NYI and Fletcher is more ornamental now than anything.

Dubas is going to hire a head scout that will have a similar outlook. Who that is I don't know, but they won't be a "yes man" or have divergent view of what skill and traits they are looking for. That may take some intense interviewing this summer but he probably already knows who those people are.

One of Dubas' biggest stamps on this team is how he, Pridham and Gilman handle the contracts of the big 3. At least to me that's got to be the most important thing in the coming years.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Sounds surprising to me that Francis or Fletcher would go from GM to advisor at this point in their careers, though that could speak to a lack of higher position/available roles around the league. Think the staff is in good shape for the time being but imagine we'll be adding to it soon enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sounds surprising to me that Francis or Fletcher would go from GM to advisor at this point in their careers, though that could speak to a lack of higher position/available roles around the league. Think the staff is in good shape for the time being but imagine we'll be adding to it soon enough.

It happens often.

Someone like Francis doesn't exactly have the most experience out there so joining a front office in lesser role wouldn't be a bad thing for him. With that said, Francis apparently is taking a year off or at least will be stepping away for a bit.

Chuck Fletchers dad has been with us for a long long time. The Leafs are also a great way to get a lot of exposure, even if in a smaller role. I have no idea what Chuck Fletcher would provide to the Leafs but I assume he's got connections and he would probably could give us an extra pair of ears and eyes while he waits for a phone call.

With that said, I just don't see us adding that kind of executive. I don't think it's really necessary, at least to me. I'm hoping our next front office hires are scouting related.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There's only 31 GM jobs. They will have to wait for another opportunity. I don't think either accomplsihed enough as a GM to have teams lining-up for their services. Taking a smaller role in a major organization is the way to go to become a GM again.

Reactions: OddyOh and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It happens often.

Someone like Francis doesn't exactly have the most experience out there so joining a front office in lesser role wouldn't be a bad thing. With that said, Francis apparently is taking a year off or at least will be stepping away for a bit.

Chuck Fletchers dad has been with us for a long long time. The Leafs are also a great way to get a lot of exposure, even if in a smaller role. I have no idea what Chuck Fletcher would provide to the Leafs but I assume he's got connections and probably could give us an extra pair of ears and eyes while he waits for a phone call.

Fair points, given the relative lack of experience for Francis and the familial ties here with Fletcher.

It would be a great idea for the Leafs, but I was initially surprised when first reading the article that interest might be reciprocated by someone that's recently been a GM (obviously aside from Lou, who was slated to do so prior to the offer from NYI).

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's only 31 GM jobs. They will have to wait for another opportunity. I don't think either accomplsihed enough as a GM to have teams lining-up for their services. Taking a smaller role in a major organization is the way to go to become a GM again.

Fair enough. Was thinking Assistant GM, maybe for us, obviously prior to Pridham's promotion and Gilman's hire. Not sure how many vacancies there are around the league.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
One of Dubas' biggest stamps on this team is how he, Pridham and Gilman handle the contracts of the big 3. At least to me that's got to be the most important thing in the coming years.

And convincing Tavares to sign the same contract as Nazem Kadri. :P

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It happens often.

Someone like Francis doesn't exactly have the most experience out there so joining a front office in lesser role wouldn't be a bad thing for him. With that said, Francis apparently is taking a year off or at least will be stepping away for a bit.

Chuck Fletchers dad has been with us for a long long time. The Leafs are also a great way to get a lot of exposure, even if in a smaller role. I have no idea what Chuck Fletcher would provide to the Leafs but I assume he's got connections and he would probably could give us an extra pair of ears and eyes while he waits for a phone call.

With that said, I just don't see us adding that kind of executive. I don't think it's really necessary, at least to me. I'm hoping our next front office hires are scouting related.
I agree.

I don't think the Leafs need these guys.

They should hire more young energetic, hardworking end upwardly mobile hockey execs to work with and under the new management team. They're bound to make mistakes a long the way, but the sky's the limit for what they might eventually accomplish.

It's a young man's game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I agree.

I don't think the Leafs need these guys.

They should hire more young energetic, hardworking end upwardly mobile hockey execs to work with and under the new management team. They're bound to make mistakes a long the way, but the sky's the limit for what they might eventually accomplish.

It's a young man's game.

that is just silly.
they don't need to hire young, energetic people.

they need to hire smart, intelligent people.
can we stop with the ageism already (on both sides?)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
From the tidbits I read, it looks like Dubas will head the draft with the current scouts in place from the various regions and he will hire a Head Scout in the summer. Makes sense.

Dubas also strongly hinted at making changes and adding more staff over the summer, which again is no surprise.

I'd fully expect John Lilley and Lindsay Hofford to leave. I fully expect Wes Clark and Victor Carneiro to be added. The latter 2 spoke highly of Dubas in Siegels recent Dubas article.

Why Lilley? He's been here since like the JFJ days. He was probably the least tied to Hunter out of any of the scouts. Speltz is more likely to leave.

Really though, Hofford and maybe some more minor scouts are probably the main guys you have to worry about. Wes Clark I can see replacing Hofford, but not Hunter. I think Dubas knows that too. Carneiro has no experience in the NHL so unless he's going to replace a scout or something, I do not see how he fits in. I wonder if they go after Ian Meagher, who is a lot like the second coming of Dubas in the OHL, out of Hamilton. He may want to stay there, but giving him a scouting job here could entice him, especially if we let him still do work with Hamilton if he chooses.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why Lilley? He's been here since like the JFJ days. He was probably the least tied to Hunter out of any of the scouts. Speltz is more likely to leave.

Really though, Hofford and maybe some more minor scouts are probably the main guys you have to worry about. Wes Clark I can see replacing Hofford, but not Hunter. I think Dubas knows that too. Carneiro has no experience in the NHL so unless he's going to replace a scout or something, I do not see how he fits in. I wonder if they go after Ian Meagher, who is a lot like the second coming of Dubas in the OHL, out of Hamilton. He may want to stay there, but giving him a scouting job here could entice him, especially if we let him still do work with Hamilton if he chooses.
The issue is, giving him Hofford's position may not be viewed as a promotion, so Florida may block the hire.

I can't see them getting any of the OHL GM's unless they find a position for Raftis.

Carniero will get some level of scouting job most likely. Nothing important, and hopefully on the pro-scouting side, so him slacking off watching Soccer clips on his phone while scouting doesn't cause long-term damage.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He's been responsible or part of our US (amateur only?) scouting system. I have no idea how he's made it this far, along with a couple other scouts that have stuck around, but I assume it's because they are good yes men and they are well respected in the community.

I don't have to tell you how awful our USHL/NCAA/US scouting has been for the most part. We have to be the worst team in the league finding talent in that league. Frattin? Stalberg? Pateryn? Valiev (was USHL)... Our best finds were an undrafted UFA in Bozak where everyone wanted him and UFA goaltender Ben Scrivens. That's almost 2 decades worth and that's from the top of my head. Recently, Bracco and Moore have done alright but they have lot's to prove and Joseph Woll might become a decent goaltender.

There will be changes made in the scouting group for sure but I believe it will be done throughout the summer when contracts expire and what not.

Guys like Speltz and Paliafito were added by Shanahan with Hunters approval and they certainly don't have the same luxury as Hunter. Same for Vuori . I don't see why they would leave at this point since they probably all make a decent wage with their current titles. The only one I see leaving for sure is Hofford because he's been Hunters right hand man for a long time and he probably didn't make many friends internally with his DUI.

Last edited:
Reactions: White Shadow

Growler

May 16, 2018
So, still a baseless claim?

I'd also add, weird to emphasise that if they are just replacing a director of scouting why they talk about moving back to Toronto as a bonus. One, a bunch of director of scouting live in the GTA (For example Tod Button) and two, the Leafs director of scouting doesn't need to live in Toronto.

As for Hofford, I'll be surprised if he's even at the draft table.
Is Hofford a loss? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad