Leafs rise in the fall

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
(AP) Toronto - Everybody loves the underdog, and the Toronto Maple Leafs are no exception. It's been a long time since fan interest in the franchise has been this high, where now game attendance sits just over 75% despite the sky-high price of $50 a seat. The attendance boost has been so great that the Leafs now sit 2nd in average game revenue and are only one of three teams above the $900K mark.

It's easy to see why the fans are comming in droves. With the aquisition of key assets during the offseason as well as the emergance of talents such as Vokoun and Gionta the leafs now find themselves 10 games into the season at the top of the Eastern conference with the highest winning percentage in the league. This is quite an achievment considering that last year they won only three out of their first ten games and by the end of the season had sunk to the bottom of their conference. It's this complete 180 degree turn in performance on the ice which has led to hockey fans fighting over the priveledge to buy a seat at the Air Canada Center.

After Mondays 8-4 crushing defeat of the San Jose Sharks the Leafs finally came up at the top of the standings. When asked about the standings , forward Brian Gionta commented "We've been very focused on starting the season out well and we were really disappointed with our loss comming out of New York, so I guess we took it out on the Sharks." Gionta had the first star of the night, well deserved after lighting it up four times and picking up his 2nd hat-trick of the season.

However, it must be said that a "good start" is still just a start. The next 70 games will be a real trial for this new team, where many of the fresh faces are still looking to find their roles. One of the toughest challenges will be for the Leafs to fill in their defencive lines, where depth is sorely lacking. This is heavily contrasted by their deep forward bench where players like Vernon Fiddler, Mikael Holmqvist, Brad Larson, Georges Laraques, Jeff Hamilton and Serge Payer are all expected to ride the pine for the entire season. When asked about this situation GM Abbas Chagani responded "We've been in several talks, but nothing concrete has been realized yet. It is a concern of mine, however given how we've been performing I'm in no rush to overpay for a depth defenceman right now."

The Leafs are comming up to a crucial test, were the schedule has them set to play a triple header against last years conference leaders the Boston Bruins. This will be a big three games where a decisive sweep by this latest incarnation of the Leafs will finally give some confidence to Toronto hockey fans that the boy in blue are back.

HFNHL Red Wings

Well written and well done with the early success. It has been a long time since we've seen the HFNHL Leafs sitting anywhere north of .500 never mind leading anything other than a draft priority list.

You folks are proof that the best receipe for financial success in these fantasy leagues is winning.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Fantastic early success, credit to you gentlemen! (You'll forgive me if I hope the sim has yet to settle down to "ordinary" results, since I'm not only NOT threatening to repeat my Western Conference title, I'm not even in the playoffs at this point!).

Looking at your success, it reminds me how in my first or second year with Columbus I moved a certain Mr. Brian Gionta in a pckage for... um... . something, I'm sure. :dunno: Same goes for another "waterbug" named Daniel Briere. Can't think what I got for him either. Both no doubt are up there among my dumbest moves in the game. :banghead:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Much Kudos to you gentleman.

I must admit, that when I saw how much you guys spent this offseason, I was a bit skeptical on how that would turn out seing as the Leafs had been close to bankrupt previously (before you fine gentleman took over). But you guys are making money over there in Leafland (more than my Panthers can say).

Tremendous job so far. It's very encouraging to see all the newer GM's in this league doing such a good job with their teams. Makes this league much more competitive.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Much Kudos to you gentleman.

I must admit, that when I saw how much you guys spent this offseason, I was a bit skeptical on how that would turn out seing as the Leafs had been close to bankrupt previously (before you fine gentleman took over). But you guys are making money over there in Leafland (more than my Panthers can say).

We can't take all the credit given that this is after all Toronto (albeit a simulated Toronto) so it would be difficult not to make money :)

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Looking at your success, it reminds me how in my first or second year with Columbus I moved a certain Mr. Brian Gionta in a pckage for... um... . something, I'm sure. :dunno: Same goes for another "waterbug" named Daniel Briere. Can't think what I got for him either. Both no doubt are up there among my dumbest moves in the game. :banghead:[/QUOTE]

Hindsight is 20/20 Doug :doh:, and lets not forget CBJ went all the way to the cup last season.:bow:

HFNHL Red Wings

You weren't alone in your concerns there Brock. In my original response to this thread I started to say the same things but ended up removing them.

Winning is a receipe for financial success but big signings can alos backfire. All the players aquired were important but I wasn't sure the supporting cast was strong enough yet (especially on defence) to jump to the big dollar signings. So far I've been wrong and hope it stays that way.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Leafs Success

I am happy I sent a note to the league recommending you. You have turned a very bad team into a good looking one.

Congratulations, and good luck to you (except when you play the Islanders)

Barry Corras (AGM NYI)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad