Leafs, Preds deal, Toronto gets their Franchise Goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

godlh

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It was a disapointing 4-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres, but the Toronto Maple Leafs may have found the player that may change the way the Eastern Conference standings look today.

In a deal that sends future starts and current prospects G Kari Lehtonen and D Anton Babchuk, as well as current Leafs backup G Steve Passmore and the Leafs' 2nd round pick in this summer's draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired a player they believe will be their franchise goaltender for years to come.

The team has acquired, along with an undisclosed amount of money, goaltender Tomas Vokoun. Vokoun, who will participate in the NHL All-Star Game this weekend, is exactly what GM Eric Danis was looking for, something he was unable to find in Dallas at the time (Danis traded for Mikka Kiprusoff two years ago, but has only recently shown signs of stardom) a franchise goaltender, a man whom the team will be able to count on for years to come.

Vokoun had recently signed a four year contract extension with the Preds, meaning that Vokoun will be the team's #1 goalie until the 2007-08 season at the least.

The team did not want to comment on the situation, they needed to discuss the trade with the players involved prior to commenting to the media about the issue. Vokoun is expected to be in the Leafs lineup when they play next, he is also expected to make his first start of the season at that time.

Brian Duff,
LeafsTV

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
WOW!!! This is a big trade.

Leopold-Coburn and NOW Babchuk ouch... Nice big three there... Man, this is gonna be scary blue line in a couple of years. Hey "Mr. I love my Blueline" Josh, these boys could challenge your blue line man.

Eric, you reckon you can catch the Penguins??

I definitely help the chasing pack by defeating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->