Line Combos: Leafs Power-Play

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Current Units

JVR - Bozak - Kadri
Rielly - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
Matthews - Gardiner

Not impressed with the Matthews unit, he needs more to work with as Brown and Marleau haven't been great on the PP

The other unit could also be better

What we should try:

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Rielly - Marner
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Marleau
Gardiner - Kadri​

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Our pp blows and a change is long overdue. We aren't getting past Boston/Tampa with such a bad powerplay. Time to stack a unit

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I still don't get why our best player does not get to play with the best players on the PP. We must be the only team that does that.

Because our guys have been together the last two years and the results have been positive on the whole.

The big practical advantage is this: If one unit is on for a long shift, you can play the rested unit to start the powerplay

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-2-19_14-31-34.png

I see no Matthews !

Babcock could do better here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
That being said

upload_2018-2-19_14-33-32.png

Even Strength Goals
1. Nikita Kucherov • TBL 26
2. Auston Matthews • TOR 25
3. Michael Grabner • NYR 24
Alex Ovechkin • WSH 24
5. Sean Couturier • PHI 23
William Karlsson • VEG 23
7. Connor McDavid • EDM 22
8. Vladimir Tarasenko • STL 20
Sean Monahan • CGY 20
Evgeni Malkin • PIT 20
Anders Lee • NYI 20
Anze Kopitar • LAK 20
13. John Tavares • NYI 19
Tyler Seguin • DAL 19
James Neal • VEG 19
Patrick Kane • CHI 19
Jack Eichel • BUF 19
18. Jordan Eberle • NYI 18
Taylor Hall • NJD 18
20. Mark Stone • OTT 17
Eric Staal • MIN 17
Patrick Marleau • TOR 17
Alex DeBrincat • CHI 17
Kyle Connor • WPG 17
Brock Boeser • VAN 17
Jon Marchessault • VEG 17
Jason Zucker • MIN 17

The only top guy from this list on the other list is Ovechkin.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That being said

View attachment 99157

Even Strength Goals
1. Nikita Kucherov • TBL 26
2. Auston Matthews • TOR 25
3. Michael Grabner • NYR 24
Alex Ovechkin • WSH 24
5. Sean Couturier • PHI 23
William Karlsson • VEG 23
7. Connor McDavid • EDM 22
8. Vladimir Tarasenko • STL 20
Sean Monahan • CGY 20
Evgeni Malkin • PIT 20
Anders Lee • NYI 20
Anze Kopitar • LAK 20
13. John Tavares • NYI 19
Tyler Seguin • DAL 19
James Neal • VEG 19
Patrick Kane • CHI 19
Jack Eichel • BUF 19
18. Jordan Eberle • NYI 18
Taylor Hall • NJD 18
20. Mark Stone • OTT 17
Eric Staal • MIN 17
Patrick Marleau • TOR 17
Alex DeBrincat • CHI 17
Kyle Connor • WPG 17
Brock Boeser • VAN 17
Jon Marchessault • VEG 17
Jason Zucker • MIN 17

The only top guy from this list on the other list is Ovechkin.
Says a lot about how much Laine produces at 5 on 5... Lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
our PP is 23rd in the league since December 1st. 26th since January 1st. How that's acceptable to our coaches is beyond me, but they have to change it up

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure if it's Babcock trying to manage the players minutes a bit more but yeah, the powerplay is definitely not as effective as late.

Leafs on the year are smack dab in the middle at 15th place with 20.2% for the PP. That might not seem that bad but since the start of the new year, the Leafs are 26th in the league with 16.4%. Has anything really changed since then? Either way, I think it could also be better considering the players we have on the team.

Not exactly sure how to fix Matthews line but maybe they could have him battle it out in front of the net to use his top tier hand eye coordination for rebounds or redirections. Just don't want him getting hit with stray shots. My only issue with that is it would take away his shot in or around the slot which would be a waste.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
our PP is 23rd in the league since December 1st. 26th since January 1st. How that's acceptable to our coaches is beyond me, but they have to change it up

Even when it got results, it was mainly because of JvR and Kadri's work in close. It was never a PP that moved the puck efficiently.

Babcock is a slow learner but he should learn from the Pittsburgh PP and realize that in an advantage situation you put your best players out there.

Sullivan doesn't try to split Kessel, Malkin, Crosby etc.

If you can't learn from the back to back champs who have almost the exact same strengths and weakness as us, what are we even doing?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
The Babcock hate on this board is insane. I doubt that he is the one running the power play. Special teams are usually managed by an assistant coach.

Matthews is a spectacular player but that unit has been very out of synch while gaining the zone and Matthews does make some questionable decisions on the PP. The coaches should probably tweak the system for that unit.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Our PP is way to predictable it needs to change a bit. Bozak is not going to make plays and doesn't have a lethal shot to play outside; he should swap places with Kadri; with Marner on the LW and Kadri on the RW both ready to either make a pass on their forehand or one time the shot/take a wrister.

2nd PP unit; Nylander and Matthews need to stop looking for each other or Gardiner all the time. More importantly, Gardiner should stop shooting the damn puck on oppositions' shin pads only to be blocked. On the PP; friggen move the puck fast and open the lane to shoot ffs.

We hold the puck too long on the PP IMO

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I’d like to see Kapanen get some PP looks.

His speed could really be a factor with the additional space out there

AustrianHockeyfan

Sep 7, 2015
Austria
I have another issue with our PP. Is it just me or are you guys also afraid everytime we get a PP, that we will give up a good scoring chance to the opponent? This happens way to often imo.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
It seems like night in, night out, our opponent always has a better structured, more cohesive PP than we do, which makes no sense given the talent we have. Having players like Bozak, Komarov, Brown, etc getting extended looks with our top players makes our PP way less potent.

JVR (net front)-Matthews-Nylander
Rielly/Gardiner-Marner

Run that unit for about 90 seconds every power play like most high-end teams do. That still leaves guys like Kapanen, Kadri, Marleau, Rielly/Gardiner, etc to man the second unit. The lineup changes we've seen in the past month have been of huge benefit - not sure why Babcock wouldn't make similar adjustments with special teams given how pitiful they've been recently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad