Prospect Info: Leafs' OHL Prospect Review

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What was the biggest cause for SDA's regression this season?

This is a kid who was on the upswing, got a few weeks in training camp and even into an exhibition game, but went back to the OHL and looked kind of lost to me.

Is it confidence related? Is it purely body size? Was he hurt?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

This is a kid who was on the upswing, got a few weeks in training camp and even into an exhibition game, but went back to the OHL and looked kind of lost to me.

I'll preface this by saying that I've never been quite as high as on SDA as some of my contemporaries.

But the big issues are the ones that I outlined in the article. They are all related to each other and really prevent him from being able to take advantage of his terrific puck skill and vision. If he were stronger on the puck, he'd be able to prolong possession to allow his linemates to find lanes, and he'd be able to take the puck to the net with more authority, allowing him to create those lanes for them. If he were quicker, he'd be more elusive and his lack of strength wouldn't be as much of an issue. And if he had more confidence in his shot/his shot had more power/explosiveness to it, defenses would be a little more apprehensive about allowing him to roam freely on the perimeter, knowing that he could simply rifle one through traffic, or make a strong push to the net.

Bottom line, at this point SDA is mainly kept to the perimeter, where he can flash his puckhandling skill, but it never really creates anything of substance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He didn't really regress, he was just the same player he was last season. He simply isn't strong enough or a good enough skater to create time on the puck, which effectively neutralizes him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He didn't really regress, he was just the same player he was last season. He simply isn't strong enough or a good enough skater to create time on the puck, which effectively neutralizes him.

I didn't mind the punt in the 3rd round, didn't understand the ECL however

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The biggest issue with SDA is that he still has the physical make up of a 14 year old.

When he spoke at the development camp, he said the focus is to work on his strength in July and August, and come into camp "looking more like an NHL'er".

This year is very much a make or break year. Either he doesn't improve his strength and his build and he continues to stagnant, OR he adds strength, he physically matures, and he tears up the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad