Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose ... On the brink of elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
While our top line has been garbage, Nylander just looks like hes uninterested. I don't think I have seen him throw a hit or block a shot.. You don't win with players like that. Really expected more out that group.

He wasn’t doing that in the regular season though...never been his game. If you want him blocking shots smh

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree regarding Marner, Dermott, Johnsson, etc. There are some positive signs as far as individual performances are concerned.

As a team though, it seems like we're a lot further away from being a competent playoff team than many of us thought, myself included.

It's one thing to lose when you play your best, but we have had so many key players (too many to mention) that have not shown up in this series, and I find that very concerning.

Nothing at all to be concerned about

11 of our 19 players are either sophomores or rooks.

Heck before this series Chara has more PO games then 80% of our roster COMBINED.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
:laugh: Fair enough I admittedly didn’t check the author of the article. For the record I don’t hate Babcock, but as the article suggests, maybe he needs to win more in the playoffs with underdog teams in my opinion to be put into the ‘best of the best’ category. If the leafs lose this Saturday that puts him at 2 for 10 in the playoffs when coaching an underdog team, in a time where parity in the league is higher then it’s ever been that’s not very good..

I DON'T want babs to "drag" a under dog team deep into the POs

Thats when management gets seriously stupid the next season

They are convinced their team is much better then it actually is and all hell breaks loose.

Look what our morons thought of this team after the lock out shortened anomaly:eek:

The beginning of the McClarkson era

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Question for you guys since I’m bored out of my mind:

What would you rather have:

Lose in 5 games OR Force a Game 7 but the chances of the Leafs collapsing like they did in 2013 are 99% after they have the same sort of lead.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He wasn’t doing that in the regular season though...never been his game. If you want him blocking shots smh

There's a difference from regular season to playoffs. Whats so shaking my head at wanting him to pay the price to win? That's how you win in the playoffs.... Everyone buys in and pays the price, you cant float around thinking your skill is good enough to get you by because clearly it isn't as shown so far

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Lose in 5 games OR Force a Game 7 but the chances of the Leafs collapsing like they did in 2013 are 99% after they have the same sort of lead.
probably repeat the game 7 collapse. it's better to be competitive than get smoked

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Reactions: glue

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There's a difference from regular season to playoffs. Whats so shaking my head at wanting him to pay the price to win? That's how you win in the playoffs.... Everyone buys in and pays the price, you cant float around thinking your skill is good enough to get you by because clearly it isn't as shown so far
yeah Marchand was spot on in his article.
"I don’t care how fast your guys are or how good your system is. Everybody’s guys are fast. Everybody’s system is good. What you need is a room full of guys who are willing to do anything."
Nylander is fast and skilled, but so are a lot of players. he has to be willing to do everything to win, even if it's uncomfortable. Marner can do it. Pastrnak can do it. There's no reason not to expect Nylander to step up and impose his will out there.

Reactions: dsred

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Lose in 5.

Its not going to 7, so id much rather just rip the band-aid off and get on with it, than have my heart ripped out and stomped on like in 2013.

Fun fact - i still havent rewatched it, all these years later. The experience of being in the square that night is nightmarish for me.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lose in 5.

Its not going to 7, so id much rather just rip the band-aid off and get on with it, than have my heart ripped out and stomped on like in 2013.

Fun fact - i still havent rewatched it, all these years later. The experience of being in the square that night is nightmarish for me.

Rewatched? I’ll let you in on a little secret. I haven’t even watched Bergeron’s OT goal. The manner in which they went from 4-1 to 4-4 was all I could take. I knew they wouldn’t win in OT. I just shut it off, went to bed, woke up at like 6 am and saw the notification. Heard the call a couple times on the radio after that but that’s it.

Reactions: Ib4n3z and Tak7

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Don’t know if this was posted before, but saw this article prior to the start of the playoffs and thought it was a pretty objective look at Mike Babcock as coach...some real interesting points here about his lack of success with ‘underdog’ teams ..was hoping that would be debunked these playoffs but sadly still appears to be true
Leafs coach Mike Babcock is an underdog that needs his day | The Star
Wow, the natives are so restless that they are quoting Feschuk to bolster their arguments! Feschuk!!!Babcock has forgotten more about coaching hockey than Feschuk will ever learn.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
this is true. Marner has taken an absolute beating this series and he still keeps coming. Matthews can learn a lot from him

Most of the team can learn from him

The amount of guys that are either playing below there ability or just aren't willing to get there noses dirty is pretty blood you concerning

How we've been this competitive with this level of engagement combined with some atrocious goaltending is quite surprising

I'm not unhappy about losing, it happens, it's how were losing and the fact we could actually win these games that's pissing me off

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Most of the team can learn from him

The amount of guys that are either playing below there ability or just aren't willing to get there noses dirty is pretty blood you concerning

How we've been this competitive with this level of engagement combined with some atrocious goaltending is quite surprising

I'm not unhappy about losing, it happens, it's how were losing and the fact we could actually win these games that's pissing me off

Lemme ask you a question

At the TD ,If i had said we will head into the POs and the "refs will put their whistles away"

what would come to mind as the 1rst team you would have 0 interest in playing?

For me in the east- Boston, the west- the Peg.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Not having enough vs not being able to lock it down. I'll go Game 7, in the interest of having more (meaningful) games and the players getting more experience. As a fan, any playoff defeat is going to be disheartening IMO. I'm not sure to what/any extent how competitive we are in particular games/series carries over from one post-season to the next. I would've been unsure of a Game 3 win after what happened in the previous two games.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lemme ask you a question

At the TD ,If i had said we will head into the POs and the "refs will put their whistles away"

what would come to mind as the 1rst team you would have 0 interest in playing?

For me in the east- Boston, the west- the Peg.

If we're being honest with ourselves the fact the whistles have been put away has actually helped us

Our PP is pretty good, our PK has completely fallen off a cliff however

Boston are dirty but that's not what's beating us, the boys just aren't willing enough to take a hit to make a play or battle in the corners, that's an issue no matter who your playing

Andersen sucking is a whole nother issue

Reactions: cookie and Gallagbi

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think the leafs trying to make this a seven game series would do wonders, even if we lose.
i believe we'll win tomorrow.

Reactions: Liminality

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
yeah Marchand was spot on in his article.
"I don’t care how fast your guys are or how good your system is. Everybody’s guys are fast. Everybody’s system is good. What you need is a room full of guys who are willing to do anything."
Nylander is fast and skilled, but so are a lot of players. he has to be willing to do everything to win, even if it's uncomfortable. Marner can do it. Pastrnak can do it. There's no reason not to expect Nylander to step up and impose his will out there.

What sacrifice are you seeing from Pastrnak? Guys getting 2-3 seconds alone in the slot and in front of the net with no one challenging him. If Nylander was on the Bruins against our defensive system with Marchand and Bergeron feeding him, he'd be carving us up too.

Marner you have a point on, but there's a reason those guys are so in demand - that second playoff gear is rare.

Reactions: cookie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad