Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Babcock focused on the tiny negative and gave Willy as little credit as possible for the best play anyone in a Leaf jersey has made all year. Maybe Willy tried to get the puck back because he thought it was the right play rather than he felt upset over a bad bounce 200 feet away from his net?

lets not forget Nylander scored a hattrick agains boston last year and Babcock praised hyman then went on to say I wish we could play against pastrnak every game. The constant little digs against must be just getting on the kids nerves, oh well nothing he can do about it until UFA (or ask for a trade) where if he doesn't like it he can walk

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Babcock's comments weren't even controversial wtf is everyone talking about?

in isolation they aren't too bad no, go back and read babcocks comments after every good game willy has played. He shifts the praise anywhere possible but Nylander, heck he praised pastrnak more when willy got a hattrick in boston last year. Its a common theme with babs just cant say will was very good, which he was last night probably the best leaf if not one of yet we eget this quote.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I for one resist throwing him under the bus, he isn't my new whipping boy, and I won't pick apart ever error. All that said, it is fair to acknowledge he hasn't looked as good this year, at times even bad. For me, it is the lack of poise that I find striking, he is making panic passes up the wall a lot more. The confidence isn't there for whatever reason, but he could still well turn it around, because we've seen it, for extended periods. I will say, I criticized that contract the moment I saw it, seemed unnecessary given his tenure. There is some trepidation that we made a mistake giving a guy with one year under his belt a lifetime deal, on top four money.

I see the same thing with Zaits and Gardiner, where they both seem to toss the puck away recklessly to avoid physical contact.. Zaitsev after his last injury appears gun shy and scared at times when he knows/sees he is about to be hit in his own zone. Gardiner does it all the time and its frustrating to watch that the poise leaves their games under pressure.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I see the same thing with Zaits and Gardiner, where they both seem to toss the puck away recklessly to avoid physical contact.. Zaitsev after his last injury appears gun shy and scared at times when he knows/sees he is about to be hit in his own zone. Gardiner does it all the time and its frustrating to watch that the poise leaves their games under pressure.
Zaitsev didn't do that much last year, he was calm and would almost wait out the pressure, then make a nifty little pass to get out the zone (sort of like what Dermott does now). This year, he just seems indecisive and then makes the blind panic pass up the wall, which never gives a clean exit for the forwards or is intercepted. I hope its just confidence.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
what does the Toronto media have against nylander? TSN show 1000 replays of his defensive mistakes including in intermission they are still going on about it, but only his defensive mistakes not marners or browns or hymans just nylanders not to mention they were willing to leafs to trade him last year. Now this from sportsnet I don't understand why TV networks keep on trying to tear down a 21 yr old kid, was Michael Nylander a dick to Toronto media?

They are looking for a soft spot to get in their digs.

Some players are off limits, the darlings of the team get little in the way of criticism.

Balancing act get in their shots but don't ruffle all the feathers.

Green with ...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Zaitsev didn't do that much last year, he was calm and would almost wait out the pressure, then make a nifty little pass to get out the zone (sort of like what Dermott does now). This year, he just seems indecisive and then makes the blind panic pass up the wall, which never gives a clean exit for the forwards or is intercepted. I hope its just confidence.

Clearing the zone isn't just one defender's issue.

You guys are just too focused on Zaitsev and must be missing all the farts from every other defender. Rielly may be their best defender, but he's hardly without his faults. Probably one of the weakest at controlling the puck at the offensive blueline and he either gets it through or he waits until there's nothing but shin pad it out of the O-zone.

Gardiner is always good for several giveaways or excuse me you can have the puck in his own zone. Last night with a few seconds to go in the period he bails on the puck and Panthers almost score. There was no need for that to happen except Gardiner wasn't going to get dirty.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

To me he took a few big hits and after that seems far more tentative and uncertain of himself.. Dermott is fearless and one hopes that Zaitsev can return to previous form but at present he looks more nervous out there than Travis does, who shows soooooo much more poise. Going on 27 Zaitsev is no longer a youngster where one can expect a lot more development out of him, so he has to find his game again to help stabilize the Leafs defense in the playoffs.

That poor read and play he made yesterday to cost he Leafs the game will only be magnified if it cost the Leafs a playoff game by a similar play. Maybe he learns from that and plays more conservative and safer/smarter the next time.

Reactions: DarkKnight

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
We had our chances to win that game but it didn't happen.

To be honest, JVR and Zaitsev are playing like hell. That being said, Kadri should have been more aware in OT but we can't win them all.

This defensive core needs maturing. Outside of Reilly and Hainsey, too many giveaways! Dermott is not immune from it, too many dumps and icings but he is young and only get better. Gardiner seems to go through his ups and downs but has been getting better. I think at some point, if they sign another veteran and develop some guys they will have to find a home for Zaitsev, I don't trust him in this top 4 role. Our defence is bailed out by the number of chances the forwards generate.

JVR must be completely clueless since you would think he is playing for a contract here or somewhere else. His defensive responsibilities are just down right pathetic. His size and speed and he is too soft in his own zone. I was surprised Babs put him in the OT and was surprised he was in the shootout the other night. I know he scores goals but I would take another guy that is more defensive responsible and scores a few less goals. I like JVR but the last couple of weeks I am starting to feel I won't be too upset when he leaves.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They are looking for a soft spot to get in their digs.

Some players are off limits, the darlings of the team get little in the way of criticism.

Balancing act get in their shots but don't ruffle all the feathers.

Green with ...

Marner is for sure a darling I guess I can see why being a GTA kid, and Matthews goes without saying obviously. So in order to seem balanced they attack the 3rd great talent on the leafs and in process becoming totally unbalanced, yeah I can see that

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
lets not forget Nylander scored a hattrick agains boston last year and Babcock praised hyman then went on to say I wish we could play against pastrnak every game. The constant little digs against must be just getting on the kids nerves, oh well nothing he can do about it until UFA (or ask for a trade) where if he doesn't like it he can walk
The reason he said he would like to play Pastrnak every game is because they are good friends and used to play together when younger, on top, they both step up their level of play when playing one another.

You're looking into this too much. If Nylander is a "spoiled kid who feels he must get whatever he wants" he can walk for all I care. We don't need players here who put themselves over the team. Willy is not like this at all, he will re-sign without hesitating. Bridge deal or 8 year deal. Fans have to get it out of their head that Nylander is frustrated with Babcock, and that he listens to everything that is said about him in the media. To me, I feel our young guys really appreciate Babcock and use him as a sponge to learn and improve everyday. I don't know what's the issue with fans, it's like our young guys have to constantly receive praise from head coach, and if they don't get it something is wrong with Babcock. Why isn't he praising our young, skilled superstars....wahhh...wahhh...wahhh..:laugh:

Babcock expects a LOT from our young guys defensively. He is all about defence. If you do things the right way from the D-Zone, then you can get some leeway in the O-Zone and PP. When you make stupid plays, or over skate the puck you will get lit up. It's all a part of becoming a pro in the NHL and learning how to be better. Don't cheat in the D-Zone to generate chances for yourself in the O-Zone. Play as a 5 man unit in the D-Zone with close support and move the puck up as a unit and that's how we become a much better team defensively & offensively. It's also learning when to make cute backhand/forehand passes (decision making) to get out as opposed to chipping it off the glass and out. Both great options, but usually one or the other is not available at times.

Nylander had a good game for sure, but that doesn't mean he was perfect. He could have been our best player in the game but he still makes mistakes, which is normal for all our young guys - it's all a part of growing and developing in the NHL. These kids are 20-21 years old for crying out loud. Doesn't mean just because they are "our guys" they have to be complimented 24/7 and are immune to criticism. Babcock expects A LOT from Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Rielly & Gardiner and he definitely should.

Babcock gets a bunch of credit for turning around Rielly & Naz, fans saying how proud we are of what he has been able to do for them. But in the case of the young kids it's the opposite. You can't have it both ways. He's a great coach for our team and kids. He's doing a hell of a job considering we were last a few years ago. Yeah, his lineups don't meet the eye of fans sometimes, his decisions are confusing sometimes. So what?? All coaches make mistakes or have a method to their madness. Instead of calling him the worst coach or saying Red Wings fans were right all along, show some faith in why management brought him over. They must know something, right? :sarcasm:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Clearing the zone isn't just one defender's issue.

You guys are just too focused on Zaitsev and must be missing all the farts from every other defender. Rielly may be their best defender, but he's hardly without his faults. Probably one of the weakest at controlling the puck at the offensive blueline and he either gets it through or he waits until there's nothing but shin pad it out of the O-zone.

Gardiner is always good for several giveaways or excuse me you can have the puck in his own zone. Last night with a few seconds to go in the period he bails on the puck and Panthers almost score. There was no need for that to happen except Gardiner wasn't going to get dirty.
Nowhere did I suggest others infallible, only Zaitsev makes giveaways. Gardiner that's a given, Reilly for sure. Zaitsev isn't bringing the offence of the others though, so when he struggles defensively, there is little to say positively. Jake is a nightmare at times, but when he is putting up points, you take it in totality. When Zaits is bad defensively, what do you counter with? And they all make similar money, that's the thing for me, and the horrible term we gave him for no reason whatsoever.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The reason he said he would like to play Pastrnak every game is because they are good friends and used to play together when younger, on top, they both step up their level of play when playing one another.

You're looking into this too much. If Nylander is a "spoiled kid who feels he must get whatever he wants" he can walk for all I care. We don't need players here who put themselves over the team. Willy is not like this at all, he will re-sign without hesitating. Bridge deal or 8 year deal. Fans have to get it out of their head that Nylander is frustrated with Babcock, and that he listens to everything that is said about him in the media. To me, I feel our young guys really appreciate Babcock and use him as a sponge to learn and improve everyday. I don't know what's the issue with fans, it's like our young guys have to constantly receive praise from head coach, and if they don't get it something is wrong with Babcock. Why isn't he praising our young, skilled superstars....wahhh...wahhh...wahhh..:laugh:

Babcock expects a LOT from our young guys defensively. He is all about defence. If you do things the right way from the D-Zone, then you can get some leeway in the O-Zone and PP. When you make stupid plays, or over skate the puck you will get lit up. It's all a part of becoming a pro in the NHL and learning how to be better. Don't cheat in the D-Zone to generate chances for yourself in the O-Zone. Play as a 5 man unit in the D-Zone with close support and move the puck up as a unit and that's how we become a much better team defensively & offensively. It's also learning when to make cute backhand/forehand passes (decision making) to get out as opposed to chipping it off the glass and out. Both great options, but usually one or the other is not available at times.

Nylander had a good game for sure, but that doesn't mean he was perfect. He could have been our best player in the game but he still makes mistakes, which is normal for all our young guys - it's all a part of growing and developing in the NHL. These kids are 20-21 years old for crying out loud. Doesn't mean just because they are "our guys" they have to be complimented 24/7 and are immune to criticism. Babcock expects A LOT from Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Rielly & Gardiner and he definitely should.

Babcock gets a bunch of credit for turning around Rielly & Naz, fans saying how proud we are of what he has been able to do for them. But in the case of the young kids it's the opposite. You can't have it both ways. He's a great coach for our team and kids. He's doing a hell of a job considering we were last a few years ago. Yeah, his lineups don't meet the eye of fans sometimes, his decisions are confusing sometimes. So what?? All coaches make mistakes or have a method to their madness. Instead of calling him the worst coach or saying Red Wings fans were right all along, show some faith in why management brought him over. They must know something, right? :sarcasm:

first of all very good post. The point is not that babcock is hard on him, he is hard on him even when he plays a good game, its like give it a rest babs. a lot of this can be said behind doors like im sure he does with hyman, brown, marner he never publically uses the media to point out their mistakes (a couple of time maybe with marner he did). It is every game with him nylander plays well "yeah but...." if nylander pays shit he will rightfully say so, its unnecessary when the player was one of your best players on the ice. And it fuels the media articles like the one from sportsnet they feel like they have the right to get on him too.

Reactions: MattySnipes

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
As I said, I'm not overly worried about Zaitsev because he does have the tools to be a good Dman.

He definitely needs to improve but he's also asked to do a lot. That's hard for a Dman that has played only 131 games in the NHL.

Way, way too early to give up on him, and we're a better team with him in than with him out.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
first of all very good post. The point is not that babcock is hard on him, he is hard on him even when he plays a good game, its like give it a rest babs. a lot of this can be said behind doors like im sure he does with hyman, brown, marner he never publically uses the media to point out their mistakes (a couple of time maybe with marner he did). It is every game with him nylander plays well "yeah but...." if nylander pays **** he will rightfully say so, its unnecessary when the player was one of your best players on the ice. And it fuels the media articles like the one from sportsnet they feel like they have the right to get on him too.
I definitely understand that frustration. It's like you do so many great things but the moment you make the one mistake or soft play he rips you or won't call out your good plays. It is frustrating but it's also a way of developing and growing players. Maybe, he's identified that's how Nylander will get better, who knows? I can't tell you why he decides to "handle" it that way with the media, but I can tell you he has the media eating out of his hands. He says what he wants, what he believes is right, he doesn't give in to what they want, and he keeps a ton of pressure away from the kids. He keeps expectations down, never gets too high or too low.

Reactions: IBeL13f and Walshy7

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
As I said, I'm not overly worried about Zaitsev because he does have the tools to be a good Dman.

He definitely needs to improve but he's also asked to do a lot. That's hard for a Dman that has played only 131 games in the NHL.

Way, way too early to give up on him, and we're a better team with him in than with him out.
he has to be more sheltered though because he's being eaten alive. that can't be good for his development. He should play with Dermott on the bottom pairing to regain his confidence

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They need better passers out of our zone, instead of everyone trying to rush it all the time(a plan that doesn't work anyway when an opponent decides to wall up the neutral zone, aka the playoffs)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
from what i saw (was kind if distracted) was that kadri was deeper than zaitsev when he pinched up. so to me looked like kadri tried but couldn't get back
Yah that's what happened. Kadri should have been deeper towards his own zone to prevent a McCann breakaway

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
he has to be more sheltered though because he's being eaten alive. that can't be good for his development. He should play with Dermott on the bottom pairing to regain his confidence

The one thing that's been most notable about him IMO is that he just can't make a play. He's been making some God awful plays when the puck is on his stick for too long now, almost to the point where I expect an icing when he has the puck.

In saying that, we've all seen him make a lot of plays before, which makes me wonder if this is just a mental thing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The one thing that's been most notable about him IMO is that he just can't make a play. He's been making some God awful plays when the puck is on his stick for too long now, almost to the point where I expect an icing when he has the puck.

In saying that, we've all seen him make a lot of plays before, which makes me wonder if this is just a mental thing.
i'm 99% sure it is mental and confidence related. his foot injury would have no effect on his decision making. he just doesn't feel comfortable out there

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad