Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in a Shootout 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah it was at the beginning of the game and I was thinking "here we go" but he was nullified otherwise.

Kappy proved he needs bigger minutes with his speed and defensive acumen last night. I think he's going up in Babcock's books.

Agreed, I really do wonder where Kapanen will settle in this line up. 3rd line seems too low for me, but the top 6 seems pretty rock solid when healthy.

However, something needs to change with the PP. I am not sure if we are snakebitten or what, but we have way too much firepower to have such a dreadful PP. Too much standing still, too many passes. Need some set plays to go back door.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What? I thought people were finally happy with his lineup choices. I guess this is a good example of how he will never please everybody with his lineup choices.

He did and missed.
The lineup was fine, I just don't get why you'd put Leivo out on a 2 man advantage while your two best forwards are sitting on the bench.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I honestly would not be opposed to Marner playing both PPs lol.

One thing about the first PP is that you know it's going to go through Marner.

I don't think the second PP has that because it flips between Matthews and Nylander. One of them needs to take charge on it IMHO.

But on the flip side, PP numbers are so varied year by year, Matthews and Nylander could have the same opportunity next year and kill it on the PP.

One thing I would like to see is having Kapanen on the PP for a bit.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The lineup was fine, I just don't get why you'd put Leivo out on a 2 man advantage while your two best forwards are sitting on the bench.

We don't know what Babs' reasoning is but I think there is a method to his madness during the season. Worst case it gives Leivo a chance to show something. I doubt he does that in the playoffs unless his hands are handcuffed.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I actually understand the PP decision.

My take was that he was saving Marner and Nylander for the 5 on 3 portion of the PP, but when that first unit had a lot of pressure and some great chances, they didn't have a real opportunity to change.

Tampa got some lucky breaks and timely saves on that PK, that unit and some sure goals turned away.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Did anyone else understand the 18+ mins for Polak and 13mins of Dermott? Was it just me or was Polak way worse than Dermott? I don't understand some things where our coaches head is at? Am I missing something, was Dermott bad?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Did anyone else understand the 18+ mins for Polak and 13mins of Dermott? Was it just me or was Polak way worse than Dermott? I don't understand some things where our coaches head is at? Am I missing something, was Dermott bad?

Polak did play nearly 4 mins of PK, which boosts his average. Still don't like him playing 15 mins a game though.

Reactions: stickty111

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What? I thought people were finally happy with his lineup choices. I guess this is a good example of how he will never please everybody with his lineup choices
They're referring to not putting Mitch on the during the 5on3 and not having him in the shootout.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It was very odd Marner got on with just 8 seconds left on a 5-3 and guys like Leivo were getting time instead.

That's what happens when you spend most of the PP in the O-Zone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It was very odd Marner got on with just 8 seconds left on a 5-3 and guys like Leivo were getting time instead.
it was odd having leivo AND jvr both on the ice. i could get one of them being on the ice but not both

Reactions: Al14

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Babs is developing players so they have good vibes going into the play offs. Its a team effort and we are going to need to be firing from all cylinders if we are going to go deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad