Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in a Shootout 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
this one pisses me off, because they should have won this game about 8 times there was the Marleau breakaway in OT, The Marner Penalty shot, Nylander missing a WIDE OPEN net, , Nylander hitting the post in the shootout, the 5 on 3 PP, the puck that c,e about as close to going in as you can get without actually going in that's 6 alone off the top of my head and I know I am missing some.

this is a game we should have won, you get that many chances to bury Tampa you HAVE to bury them and they didn't

Now I didn' like the 3rd goal Andersen gave up, I thought he should have had that, but that said you had chance after chance afer chance to make sure that goal didn't matter and you failed.

On another note what the hell was that from JVR in the shootout? he did not even try
He says it in his post interview. He wanted to quick changes on the 4 on 3. Nylander a was suppose to come out next whistle. Then vice versa but the line got stuck out there . He even said himself he started to second guess himself. So he is not some delusional coach who doesn't know what's he is doing. Said he may have over thought that powerplay. I harp on his line choice alot myself but come on, some of you act like he is an ahl coach. Kinda ridiculous no..

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Wow a lot of over analyzing going on. leafs beat them last time and they won this time in a shootout. Leafs have played better games but they still walked away with a point.
Guys leafs have the youngest core group of players and are top 5 in the league.....THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Reactions: Lauro

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So first point the pass sure he reached..he got it turned around and passed to to Erne..then tried to muscle him off Erne turned and fired.
Are you talking about the third goal? Because he didn't pass it to Erne. He got it several feet behind him, stretched out behind to try and drag it with him and failed. At which point he was stuck trying to outmuscle somebody he didn't have body positioning on.

Hyman..are you joking? Why do you think he kills penalties and why late in games its Matthews Hyman and Marleau or Brown? Why do you suppose? Because hes great defensively
He's pretty good, but he doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting on the defensive side. That's not his role. He is terrific on the PK though.

Lastly the open net chance was a terrible angle and wasnt created by his work. Chances arent goals...I think hes been center 3x and has 1 pt.
Right. But aren't we basically stat-watching then, if all we judge his offense as a center on is points?

Lastly lastly..ill use our triple gold coaches opinion. If he was ready hed be playing there. Babcock has said Nylander wont be put there for good this yr and maybe not even next. One day he will be an elite top 2 i agree. Im just saying he needs to work and learn he is 22 afterall
If you mean ready as finished developing, then I agree. He's got more to learn. But he can definitely step into Bozak's shoes and play a sheltered scoring role as center.

You really should start using the quote function BTW. I almost missed that you had responded.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
I enjoyed the game, the SO not so much. The negativity after a loss (even in the SO) on this board is hard to take sometimes. I mean.... we are 2 years into the rebuild, right? Anybody look at the league standings recently? We are 4th/31- and yeah I know I know "games played games played" but you have to win those games and points to get there. Look at the other bottom feeders from a couple of years ago who BTW also got pretty good players (BUF/EDM) and then tell me again how bad our team/coach is. Seriously it is like some of you secretly want the Leafs to fail so you can bitch and moan.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I enjoyed the game, the SO not so much. The negativity after a loss (even in the SO) on this board is hard to take sometimes. I mean.... we are 2 years into the rebuild, right? Anybody look at the league standings recently? We are 4th/31- and yeah I know I know "games played games played" but you have to win those games and points to get there. Look at the other bottom feeders from a couple of years ago who BTW also got pretty good players (BUF/EDM) and then tell me again how bad our team/coach is. Seriously it is like some of you secretly want the Leafs to fail so you can ***** and moan.
These kind of posts that lecture everyone on how to think also become tiresome in their own right..
If you dont care for what people are saying, just ignore it.

Reactions: FishManSam

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Hyman, Nylander and Gardiner all made horrific turn overs in their own end that cost the team goals.

Don't blame Babcock for that.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
once again
fix the PP
replace Komarov with Johnsson
replace Polak with Holl or Carrick
Shelter Zaitsev

until then we're deliberately sabotaging ourselves but not giving the team the best chance to win every night

Meh, not sure Johnsson is better than Komarov at this point. Still a year or half a year away.

The PP is fine, he just needs to get Matthews more minutes on it.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm still struggling to understand Babcock. His personnel decisions cost this team points. Right now it's fine given our cushion, but can you imagine him pulling this stuff in the playoffs?
What? I thought people were finally happy with his lineup choices. I guess this is a good example of how he will never please everybody with his lineup choices.

wait why didnt bozak shoot in the shootout? has he even missed a shootout attempt yet this year?
He did and missed.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
once again
fix the PP
replace Komarov with Johnsson
replace Polak with Holl or Carrick
Shelter Zaitsev

until then we're deliberately sabotaging ourselves but not giving the team the best chance to win every night
I disagree. Kids are still developing and Babcock doesn't want to ice a full squad of kids so he is keeping some of them down for now. At one point when I was watching last night, on the ice (I think) was Nylander(21), Marner (20), Kapanen(21), Dermott(21), Rielly (23), and I thought wow, that's a young group of players.

People seem to think because these kids are really good that they don't need sheltering, but I think Babs is on a different brainwave.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hes played a couple games at center. But point is he isnt ready. Id rather him on the wing like hes been and ease him in eventually. His offense disappears when hes been at center. Awesome puck protector but if he gets touched he loses it..or defensively tonigh he passes it to the Tampa guy and got out muscled ..bang 3-2. Love Willie but he needs more time before hes a center. 1 reason we got Pleknac, the others, Moore was slowing Kapenen and the offense possibilities down..you need 4 lines to be a contender. And nextly depth.

I feel tomorrow the move Pleknac up with Hymand and Nylander..hes used to 1st line minutes and played with Patches..that or Marleau will take Wills center spot
I honestly don't understand the "he's not ready to play C"argument.

He regularly plays the role of a C on his current line and has all season. I'm not talking just faceoffs, but playing deep in his zone while Matthews covers the point. He makes himself a good outlet for D, provides good support and is active in trying to recover pucks.

He didn't have his best game last night, but he was great against the Bruins.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wow a lot of over analyzing going on. leafs beat them last time and they won this time in a shootout. Leafs have played better games but they still walked away with a point.

It's normally the case after a loss. Some losses I get it, especially when we were really bad... but last night was a fine effort and could have gone either way depending on bounces.

I don't get it.

Reactions: bionic and Mugzy97

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The fact that the team played a bit sloppy against Tampa, still came close to pulling out a win is encouraging.

This team is due for a bit of a break after tonights game. We've played a lot since the All-Star break. We only play 5 games in the next 2 weeks or so after tonights game.

I hope they can find the legs for one more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What? I thought people were finally happy with his lineup choices. I guess this is a good example of how he will never please everybody with his lineup choices.

Hahaha yeah I'm pretty sure that pleasing everyone with lineup choices is simply impossible.

The fact that the team played a bit sloppy against Tampa, still came close to pulling out a win is encouraging.

Exactly! We were 13-2 going into this game and took the best team in the NHL to a shootout. Anyone complaining about us playing less than perfect in this one is trying too hard to find fault IMO.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This team is due for a bit of a break after tonights game. We've played a lot since the All-Star break. We only play 5 games in the next 2 weeks or so after tonights game.

I hope they can find the legs for one more.

Yes I believe after tonight, it's only 3 games in 12 days. Need to keep rolling and beat FLA tonight, we can still catch Boston!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Exactly! We were 13-2 going into this game and took the best team in the NHL to a shootout. Anyone complaining about us playing less than perfect in this one is trying too hard to find fault IMO.
Not only that, we had a handful of chances to beat them without our star player. Nothing to complain about IMO.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Hyman, Nylander and Gardiner all made horrific turn overs in their own end that cost the team goals.

Don't blame Babcock for that.
Unless I watched a different game, Gardiners turn over didn't result in a goal. In fact he was a +1.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That game could have went either way. Fine with the result. We went toe to toe with the best teams in the east and fared well.

Get healthy and stay healthy and take advantage of the relatively easy march ramping up for the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not only that, we had a handful of chances to beat them without our star player. Nothing to complain about IMO.

I'm pretty sure Polak played.

Unless I watched a different game, Gardiners turn over didn't result in a goal. In fact he was a +1.

That is correct, unless I missed some other turnover. I hope not, that one I saw was special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->