Let's acquire Plekanec
To solidify our 4th line
Then they said
Our defense is good enough
WHAT
AHL defense
This season is a waste
I will see you guys at the draft
Besides Mike Green who Lou said they were not interested in or how it was reported he would not accept a trade to Toronto, what other defenseman who were available that they could afford and what players/picks could they give up?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Besides Mike Green who Lou said they were not interested in or how it was reported he would not accept a trade to Toronto, what other defenseman who were available that they could afford and what players/picks could they give up?
Ian cole. I'd rather give up a 2nd for him than plek

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They did agree to trade for Dion Phaneuf from us and take on his contract 100% without the Leafs retaining any of his salary.

That's when we were bad...we're a good team now, and anytime you make the playoffs, you got a chance at the Cup...look what happened to them last year...don't think Melnyk and Dorion wants to help us get even better now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's when we were bad...we're a good team now, and anytime you make the playoffs, you got a chance at the Cup...look what happened to them last year...don't think Melnyk and Dorion wants to help us get even better now.
At the time of the trade the Senators were not going to make the playoffs either.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
At the time of the trade the Senators were not going to make the playoffs either.

I think it was Bryan Murray who traded for Phaneuf, not Dorion, who's become a Melnyk's pet...Murray thought Phaneuf could help Ottawa become playoff contenders, and that he did. We were really bad as a team, pretty much selling off Kessel and Phaneuf at the time. Ottawa wasn't helping us get better when they traded for Phaneuf and didn't think we would win the lottery to get Matthews.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it was Bryan Murray who traded for Phaneuf, not Dorion, who's become a Melnyk's pet...Murray thought Phaneuf could help Ottawa become playoff contenders, and that he did. We were really bad as a team, pretty much selling off Kessel and Phaneuf at the time. Ottawa wasn't helping us get better when they traded for Phaneuf and didn't think we would win the lottery to get Matthews.
In theory they did help because chances are with Phaneuf the Leafs might have won a few more games and don't finish last overall to get the best chance at draft Matthews. Just look at how Matthews has dominated playing against Ottawa.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
In theory they did help because chances are with Phaneuf the Leafs might have won a few more games and don't finish last overall to get the best chance at draft Matthews. Just look at how Matthews has dominated playing against Ottawa.

I don't see the current Ottawa management regime helping this Leafs team get better. We didn't get the best odds in securing Matthews until we really spiraled towards the end of that season, and then we only had a 20% chance of winning the lottery, which we could have lost still. We were really fortunate that we got Matthews in the year we picked 1st...there aren't any generational centres like Matthews at the top of this year's draft, just a generational D and a bunch of elite wingers.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see the current Ottawa management regime helping this Leafs team get better. We didn't get the best odds in securing Matthews until we really spiraled towards the end of that season, and then we only had a 20% chance of winning the lottery, which we could have lost still. We were really fortunate that we got Matthews in the year we picked 1st...there aren't any generational centres like Matthews at the top of this year's draft, just a generational D and a bunch of elite wingers.
I was trying to make a joke that when the Leafs traded Phaneuf for them it helped them finish last overall and how they eventually got the best odds for winning the draft lottery, which is why I mentioned how Matthews scores a lot of goals against Ottawa.

Reactions: Superstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad