Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’ve been waiting years for meaningless games down the stretch, fire the coach!

LMAO.

Yes. I absolutely agree with his treatment of Komarov.

You miss the big picture.

Babcock rewards hard work. This was necessary to rid the country club atmosphere.

Sometimes shifts are given, minutes earned for things that we have no insight over. Performance in practice. Comments in a game. Off ice. Whatever. That Leo takes a few spins on the PP now and then is of no concern to me.

In terms of not losing your job to a rookie who is playing over half his NHL games against tanking teams.... and I can still count his career games played on my hands... yeah 100% agree with that.

From blocking shots to throwing hits, if the culture is that you lose your job if you are hurt.... what do you think will happen to the collective desire to win battles, block shots, sacrifice the body?

This Komarov out stuff is utter nonsense.

It's playoff time, you play the guys who give you the best chance of winning, period. If you think stuff like performance in practice or who's a rookie and who's not matters, give your a head a shake, maybe two shakes. And you really need to stop with this country club nonsense, that's history, it's playoff time. If Komarov plays, plays poorly, we lose in the first round and after it's over Babcock says that he knew that Johnsson would have given us a better chance of winning but he was worried about "country club atmosphere" he probably gets fired. Maybe give your head three shakes. :laugh::laugh:

About last night, irrelevant game, irrelevant result. Andersen looked mostly good and nobody got hurt, those were the results I was looking for so I'm happy. :)

Reactions: Loosie

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
LMAO.

It's playoff time, you play the guys who give you the best chance of winning, period. If you think stuff like performance in practice or who's a rookie and who's not matters, give your a head a shake, maybe two shakes. And you really need to stop with this country club nonsense, that's history, it's playoff time. If Komarov plays, plays poorly, we lose in the first round and after it's over Babcock says that he knew that Johnsson would have given us a better chance of winning but he was worried about "country club atmosphere" he probably gets fired. Maybe give your head three shakes. :laugh::laugh:

About last night, irrelevant game, irrelevant result. Andersen looked mostly good and nobody got hurt, those were the results I was looking for so I'm happy. :)

I don't think it's even that complex, I believe it's as simple as Babcock thinks Komarov gives him a better chance to win.

Reactions: The Apologist

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think it's even that complex, I believe it's as simple as Babcock thinks Komarov gives him a better chance to win.

That's what I said - winning is what matters.

And I agree 100% - if he plays Komarov, I'm sure that's why. I think he'll start with Komarov but he'll be on a short leash. I think Johnsson will also get to play in the 1st round, we'll see what happens.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Not sure where else to ask this. Has anyone seen anything about Leafs playoff avatars yet? I figured there'd be a thread about it with theme ideas.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Not that I think we are beyond criticism but the naysayers in this thread are funny for sure.

We have had a franchise record tying season (possibility for a franchise RECORD season), we've been clinched for about a week now (longer?) but first it was. Oh no we only 95 points watch out for the Panthers who are 10 points behind us!

Now it's fire the coach because he MIGHT play someone ahead of another player I want!! (Yes it's a vocal minority saying this but it's still ludicrous)

Is Johnson better than Komarov? Sure! Is Komarov a better fit for a tough 4th line? Likely. Will Babcock play him? We'll find out. If Komarov plays game 1 and is bad will he play Game 2? Again not sure, Babcock may still give him a second game, if he's bad and costs us the game it's likely he sits.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not I think we are beyond criticism but the naysayers in this thread are funny for sure.

We have had a franchise record tying season (possibility for a franchise RECORD season), we've been clinched for about a week now (longer?) but first it was. Oh no we only 95 points watch out for the Panthers who are 10 points behind us!

Now it's fire the coach because he MIGHT play someone ahead of another player I want!! (Yes it's a vocal minority saying this but it's still ludicrous)

Is Johnson better than Komarov? Sure! Is Komarov a better fit for a tough 4th line? Likely. Will Babcock play him? We'll find out. If Komarov plays game 1 and is bad will he play Game 2? Again not sure, Babcock may still give him a second game, if he's bad and costs us the game it's likely he sits.

And not just any player, a 4th line forward, some would say he's our 12th forward. Nor sure what's a bigger joke, people freaking out about that or that ridiculous Florida thread.

And the key work there for sure is "MIGHT". People should just relax.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Andreas Johnsson is a good kid. 3 points in 9 games, and is a minus 2. Looking at his game long, he's played against Detroit, Buffalo, Florida, New York Islanders, and Buffalo again. Does anyone perhaps these games he has been given were chosen for him? The Leafs were a shoe-in to make the playoffs, and they've rewarded a good kid with some relatively easy games. But perhaps Babcock didn't want to expose him to New Jersey? Or any other real dominate club like Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, or Pittsburgh?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
This game was rigged.

In 10 years we will read about refs betting on NHL games and match fixing. Its so obvious sometimes.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bad game. Too many shots, and they got beat on goals by by the Devil's bottom 6, but.... I don't think Babcock treats these late season games as playoff previews. I remember how weak they looked against the Caps their last regular season game last year and once the playoffs started it was a totally different look. They are being scouted by Tampa for instance so are they better off with the Bolts thinking the Leafs won't try to suppress shots? Maybe I am giving Babs too much credit but I think that once 2nd place was off the table he wasn't concerned in showing off the clubs best game until the postseason.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
This game was rigged.

In 10 years we will read about refs betting on NHL games and match fixing. Its so obvious sometimes.
Reffing was pretty bad. To not call the stuff that happened to JVR but then give Mitch a tripping call at the end was bad. Leafs weren't creating enough quality chances either, so I guess it's just a good thing the game didn't matter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Reffing was pretty bad. To not call the stuff that happened to JVR but then give Mitch a tripping call at the end was bad. Leafs weren't creating enough quality chances either, so I guess it's just a good thing the game didn't matter.
Was it the same ref ?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And not just any player, a 4th line forward, some would say he's our 12th forward. Nor sure what's a bigger joke, people freaking out about that or that ridiculous Florida thread.

And the key work there for sure is "MIGHT". People should just relax.

Yep, if we lose it shouldn't be one players fault, we win and lose as a team. The core players also need to bear some responsibility not just the usual targets.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Andreas Johnsson is a good kid. 3 points in 9 games, and is a minus 2. Looking at his game long, he's played against Detroit, Buffalo, Florida, New York Islanders, and Buffalo again. Does anyone perhaps these games he has been given were chosen for him? The Leafs were a shoe-in to make the playoffs, and they've rewarded a good kid with some relatively easy games. But perhaps Babcock didn't want to expose him to New Jersey? Or any other real dominate club like Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, or Pittsburgh?
A coach developing a good young talent? Get that nonsense out of here.

Reactions: Mugzy97

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dunno, either one can make the call.
They are at opposite ends watching different things.
Something going on behind the play would only be viewed by one ref who may just let it go, while the other ref may call a penalty later in his zone.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Bad game. Too many shots, and they got beat on goals by by the Devil's bottom 6, but.... I don't think Babcock treats these late season games as playoff previews. I remember how weak they looked against the Caps their last regular season game last year and once the playoffs started it was a totally different look. They are being scouted by Tampa for instance so are they better off with the Bolts thinking the Leafs won't try to suppress shots? Maybe I am giving Babs too much credit but I think that once 2nd place was off the table he wasn't concerned in showing off the clubs best game until the postseason.
It'll comfort me more to think Babcock told them to play like they didn't give a damn for tactical purposes. So let's roll with that.

One more game for Operation Lazy!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It'll comfort me more to think Babcock told them to play like they didn't give a damn for tactical purposes. So let's roll with that.

One more game for Operation Lazy!

For a game where we only seemed to try in the last ten minutes it's not the worst result. No injuries, solid goal tending for the most part. Let's crush Montreal and end the season on a high note.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Can someone explain why Babcock didn't use his timeout and stack the 6 on 5 unit with Marner, Matthews, and Nylander? Like 1 good reason?

Devils were able to shut down Marner on the half wall too effectively without the threat of Willy on the other half wall. When the puck got reversed to Rielly he couldn't make the same level of play.

Yes! Allow me

Babs loves playin with the LeaFlanders heads..cause he reads the forums;)

I don't think Leo will actually see much more ice for the Buds unless someone gets hurt, I could be wrong, but hopefully that's his swan song

Dermott is hopefully back Sat and they sit Carrick(he hasn't been very good in a long time)

The Devils out worked, out hustled, won the puck battles and deserved the win, if things fall right they'll give Washington more they can handle

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Been saying this for a while now but Zaitsev is a trash defenseman. Boggles my mind how he quietly gets away with going unnoticed or uncriticized for his piss poor play. He’s a bush defenseman and if he has any hope of changing my mind he better have a great year next year or else $4.5M for the next 6 years is going to look really ugly.

That bank pass to the NJ forechecker was really a thing of beauty.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
He's played against Tampa Bay. And Nashville. And Florida who's been gunning for playoffs. And Dallas. Enough of this weak teams only bullshit.

And lol at using +/-. Here's some more useful stats from a great twitter guy

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yes. I absolutely agree with his treatment of Komarov.

You miss the big picture.

Babcock rewards hard work. This was necessary to rid the country club atmosphere.

Sometimes shifts are given, minutes earned for things that we have no insight over. Performance in practice. Comments in a game. Off ice. Whatever. That Leo takes a few spins on the PP now and then is of no concern to me.

In terms of not losing your job to a rookie who is playing over half his NHL games against tanking teams.... and I can still count his career games played on my hands... yeah 100% agree with that.

From blocking shots to throwing hits, if the culture is that you lose your job if you are hurt.... what do you think will happen to the collective desire to win battles, block shots, sacrifice the body?

This Komarov out stuff is utter nonsense.

Leo is at the bottom of the depth chart. Someone came in that has shown they can fully knock him off the chart altogether.

I don't think your post is true. Take a guy like Hyman. If he blocks a shot and sacrifices his body and gets hurt, he knows his lineup spot is safe when he's ready to come back. If someone did come in and did his role better than him, then he still is in the lineup because he isn't knocked off the depth chart yet. He's ahead of Brown and Komarov in my opinion. Komarov is still out when Hyman is back and this mystery player jumped over Hyman.

A solid example is Matthews. He can miss four months after sacrificing his body and go right back to being no.1 C. Nobodies coming in and knocking him down the depth chart unless they somehow traded for Mackinnon while he was injured.

JVR, Nylander, Marner etc. etc. can all play their heart out and know their lineup spot is safe.

This is professional sports. If you get beat, you're out. If people did end up doing what you're suggesting they won't stay in the lineup long. Thus I don't agree at all that benching Leo has the impact you are suggesting.

As above, Leafs would have to keep key guys out like JVR, Kadri etc after an injury for that fear to even begin. Komarov won't have that effect

edit- Forgot to add that Leo has been given a chance to battle it out with Johnsson. The 4th line wingers have been shifted around the past 3 games. What you're suggesting isn't even valid. Leo wasn't shipped away to boarding school never to be seen again after the attack from Kneelander

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad