Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hiring process:

Do you believe in stapling Hyman to Matthews and Nylander and not allowing anyone else to play on their wing?

Do you think it's a bad idea to double shift MNM at times?

Should old gritty vets get spots over youngsters with better skill and speed?

Did you answer no to all 3? Congrats, you're hired

Thankfully you’re not in charge because firing Babcock would be idiotic. He’s a good coach who we’re lucky to have.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If your coach is planning on doing something questionable it certainly should be discussed

And let's not kid ourselves Komarov for Johnsson is questionable

I think Leo will be useful in the playoffs when the rules get more lax but honestly if they play either it shouldn’t be what decides a series.

I just don’t think half of the posts need to be slamming the guy because we want Johnsson more. I also think the amount of people trying to put the loss tonight on a fourth line winger are being a little unfair.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Feel absolutely free to knock some of Babcock's personnel decisions, but you can't overlook the areas where he's done his best work.

Morgan gets tough minutes the last few years and learns on hard difficulty, he gets PP time this year and boom, now he's a good number one D.

Gardiner still has his moments but a lesser coach would staple him to the bench and force him to watch game tape daily, but he didn't and boom, competent number two D.

Kadri had his issues, babs nurtured his tenacity and gave him a sense of importance to the process, boom, back to back 30 goals.

Willy has elite skill but sometimes plays too passively, he gets a little tough love and a larger harder role which he gives him piecemeal and boom, 60 points again and hot when we need it.

Mitch comes out cold and does his bid on the 4th line but babs likes how he plays there even in the absence of production, so he moves him up and boom, he's easily our 2nd half MVP.

Auston was always good.

Feel free to knock his on ice judgment at times, but he has a knack for developing guys and knowing when to criticize and when to praise. He knows the players better than we ever will. He knows how to best use them, while also positioning them for future success. He is a player's coach.

We made the last wildcard last year, this year we've clinched with a few weeks left.

The team is improving year by year.
Teams who have been built well do that. Teams who are coached well do that.

Last edited:

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Thankfully you’re not in charge because firing Babcock would be idiotic. He’s a good coach who we’re lucky to have.

You do understand fatal flaws can undo people's otherwise good works right?

Do you agree with his treatment of Polak and Komarov this year? Specifically with Komarov considering the alternatives we have for him?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Do you agree with his treatment of Polak and Komarov this year? Specifically with Komarov considering the alternatives we have for him?

I don’t agree with all his choices but he’s still a damn good coach. A bad decision doesn’t outweigh the mountain of good ones.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON

Actually Polak turned to be good call, no? Are you complaining just to complain?
Also after Komarov was moved to 4th line he was effective there again for number of games, no? Just until he got injured. Everyone was happy that not overworking Leo on higher lines gave him enough energy to play his game again with forecheck and physicality.
Perhaps vets are coasting a bit, so what? They all need to get healthy and fresh for what might be long po run.
Also goals were allowed by lines 1 and 3, and only goal we scored was on pp, but we did ok on pk and played good road game in front of exited crowd as nice practice going into po. No injuries and it’s all good.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I know it's a meaningless game but I've never seen a coach so hesitant to call a timeout and stack his group in the last minute. You really aren't gonna put Matthews out there?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think Leo will be useful in the playoffs when the rules get more lax but honestly if they play either it shouldn’t be what decides a series.

I just don’t think half of the posts need to be slamming the guy because we want Johnsson more. I also think the amount of people trying to put the loss tonight on a fourth line winger are being a little unfair.

Youve got a point. You do. And i see it too.

But Johnsson/Kappanen isnt just another run of the mill faster better younger player...

These 2 guys are arguably faster than 34,29,16. And have equal puck handling skills.
They are probably just less developed.

Kappy can drive in like no other as weve seen. Leaves any player behind.

Johnsson seems to have more dangles and can fire off a shot very quick.

Leo is just good defensively who has been fanning passes and shots.

In a game where its almost a virtual lock in speed and you run into a hot goalie like Kincaid... man having a Kap Johnsson 4th line is not a luxury. Its like the key to winning.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Been saying this for a while now but Zaitsev is a trash defenseman. Boggles my mind how he quietly gets away with going unnoticed or uncriticized for his piss poor play. He’s a bush defenseman and if he has any hope of changing my mind he better have a great year next year or else $4.5M for the next 6 years is going to look really ugly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Meh. I hope we get a win in the last game for the records, but this was quite obviously a game where one team was fighting for their lives and the other was snoozing through waiting for the playoffs. Not much to draw conclusions from.

Of course, wouldn't be the Leafs fanbase if there weren't posts where the coach should be fired for using the wrong fourth liner in a meaningless game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We're going to be facing Boston or Tampa in the playoffs, if Komarov can't keep up now it's not going to get better come playoff time even if he's allowed to cheat more

We've turned an undoubted strength (Johnsson Plekanec Kapanen) which was an ice tilter 5v5 that we could put out against anybody and turned it into an old slow bad one that's getting filled in (especially Komarov 5v5)

The loss isn't because of Komarov but he's certainly not helping make us better

Reactions: NiftyMits

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Odds are we are facing Boston so we will need Leo. Going to give them a hall pass for last night but they better bring it versus the Bruins. The third line will be key. Will we get a two hungry UFAs in TyBo and JVR or will they sleepwalk through the series?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Meh. I hope we get a win in the last game for the records, but this was quite obviously a game where one team was fighting for their lives and the other was snoozing through waiting for the playoffs. Not much to draw conclusions from.

Of course, wouldn't be the Leafs fanbase if there weren't posts where the coach should be fired for using the wrong fourth liner in a meaningless game.
I’ve been waiting years for meaningless games down the stretch, fire the coach!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Guys and Daisy. Don't get all stressed over it you'll get an aneurysm. Komarov is playing games 1 and 2 minimum. By the time Babcock realizes Johnsson and Kapanen gives him the best chance to win it will be too late.

Take solace in the fact that we will never really know if it would have made a difference anyway - even though let's face it, it probably would have.
What a load of crap :laugh:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
But Johnsson/Kappanen isnt just another run of the mill faster better younger player...

These 2 guys are arguably faster than 34,29,16. And have equal puck handling skills.
They are probably just less developed.
You think Johnnson and Kapanen are faster than Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and are equally as good at handling the puck? :loony:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Yes. I absolutely agree with his treatment of Komarov.

You miss the big picture.

Babcock rewards hard work. This was necessary to rid the country club atmosphere.

Sometimes shifts are given, minutes earned for things that we have no insight over. Performance in practice. Comments in a game. Off ice. Whatever. That Leo takes a few spins on the PP now and then is of no concern to me.

In terms of not losing your job to a rookie who is playing over half his NHL games against tanking teams.... and I can still count his career games played on my hands... yeah 100% agree with that.

From blocking shots to throwing hits, if the culture is that you lose your job if you are hurt.... what do you think will happen to the collective desire to win battles, block shots, sacrifice the body?

This Komarov out stuff is utter nonsense.

NiftyMits

Mar 24, 2018
The devils really did look like the Leafs of laste last season. Felt like Deja Vu

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Zaitsev under pressure is horrible. Can't make a clean breakout to save his life. All he does is make bad passes that result in turnovers or just dumps the picks which again results in loss of possession. Polak at least just dumps it cause he knows he can't pass. Zaitsev still struggles and it's worrying.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I am not taking last night for granted. The Leafs made our boys fight for every inch. We were forced out of the slot on the regular and seemed like every board battle was going your way. I dare say, as a group, the Leafs have the quickest hands in the league in regards to stifling opposition creativity with how you guys intercept and force opponents to the outside, at least last night. Our goals involved a slick pass and perfect shot, the dirty work down low, and catching Freddy (who is absolutely stellar, btw) off guard. You guys are going to be quite the tough out this postseason.

Also, I just wanna shout-out the Leafs fans who did get into our building last night. You guys are consistently classy and respectful when you visit, unlike a certain francophone fan base from Canada's Second City. I genuinely look forward to when the Leafs visit Newark.

GG.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Been saying this for a while now but Zaitsev is a trash defenseman. Boggles my mind how he quietly gets away with going unnoticed or uncriticized for his piss poor play. He’s a bush defenseman and if he has any hope of changing my mind he better have a great year next year or else $4.5M for the next 6 years is going to look really ugly.

you must be new as hes not been getting away with anything or uncriticized for his poor play.
a lot of people (which apparently includes you) seems to forget that he's a 2nd year player (despite his age/experience) and has had a crappy year outside of hockey

Reactions: deepz and Mugzy97

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
My take on the Komarov topic: Our biggest strength this year is our offensive depth. For the beginning of the season it was really only the Matthews line that was going. Then through a bunch of changes, we eventually got the Kadri and Bozak lines going. Somehow, our 4th line which was offensively inept for the majority of 2 seasons, somehow eventually go going as well when we put out Andreas. I really don’t see the need for Komarov. He became redundant the moment we traded for Pleks. Pleks is basically what you get if you combined Moore and Komarov. He has the defensive capabilities of Komarov and the offensive ones of Moore. I don’t think there’s a single team in this league that can match us line for line when we use 18-19-24 as the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->