Line Combos: Leafs Lines Next Season

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I can 99% say LA doesn't even look at a trade for Muzzin + Gaborik for Bozak + JVR. Muzzin's #1D, a low-end one at that.

Toronto would be adding but I don't think its that far off considering Gaborik is basically Lupul at this point and has no value. And Drew Doughty is a #1. Muzzin is a great #2 playing behind an exceptional #1. He'd be a be a definite upgrade but not sure he'd look as good in Toronto

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Toronto would be adding but I don't think its that far off considering Gaborik is basically Lupul at this point and has no value. And Drew Doughty is a #1. Muzzin is a great #2 playing behind an exceptional #1. He'd be a be a definite upgrade but not sure he'd look as good in Toronto

Lupul died off completely though while Gaborik is still a decent player. Yes he has a terrible contract, but a smart team doesn't trade their 2nd best defender/ a #middle-to-low-end 1D who made Team Canada just to get rid of a contract.

Unless they're not contending and rebuilding there's literally zero sense for them to make that trade. Muzzin's underlying numbers are amazing (near best in the league), even if he plays behind Doughty/beside Doughty sometimes.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
I would take Leipsic on the third/fourth over Rychel any day of the week. Kinda reminds me of Komarov. Only downside to him is that he is small. Rychel needs another year in the AHL. I see Rychel as a NHL regular after next season because his big body.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Hyman - - Matthews - - Marner
_____ - - Nylander - - Kappanen
Komarov - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Rychel - - Gauthier - - Martin

Rielly - - ______
Gardiner - Zaitsev
_____ - Carrick

Anderson
______

Fill the Blanks?

hyman matthews kapanen
jvr nylander marner
komorov kadri brown
martin boyle soshnikov

what i would like to see

jvr matthews marner
kapanen nylander johnson
komorov kadri brown
hyman boyle soshnikov

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Who are the most likely young D-men to be drafted by LV?

Kapanen --- Matthews --- Brown
Van Riemsdyk --- Kadri --- Marner
Komarov --- Nylander --- Leivo
Martin --- Boyle --- Hyman

Rielly ---- (LV D-man??)
Gardiner --- Zaitsev
Dermott --- Carrick
Marchenko

Last edited:

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
"Kunitz"-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
Hyman-Gauhtier-Soshnikov
Read/Martin

Rielly-"Tanev"
Garrison-Zaitsev
Dermott-"Sustr"
(Carrick/Marchenko)

Andersen
Sparks

I want them to trade Gardiner for a similar aged physical dman on a similar contract to partner Dermott. Someone like Sustr would be ideal, if Tampa was open for a Garrison, Sustr and a little something for Gardiner.

JVR for Rielly's partner (preferably Tanev :))

Bozak for picks

Reach for a free agent to slot in with Matthews and Marner, maybe Kunitz? A proven winner with much wisdom to give and spread.

And for rotation, we could probably get Matt Read for basically free from Philly. A proven two-way player.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
"Kunitz"-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
Hyman-Gauhtier-Soshnikov

Rielly-"Tanev"
Garrison-Zaitsev
Dermott-"Sustr"
(Carrick/Marchenko)

Andersen
Sparks

I want them to trade Gardiner for a similar aged physical dman on a similar contract to partner Dermott. Someone like Sustr would be ideal, if Tampa was open for a Garrison, Sustr and a little something for Gardiner.

JVR for Rielly's partner (preferably Tanev :))

Bozak for picks

Reach for a free agent to slot in with Matthews and Marner, maybe Kunitz? A proven winner with much wisdom to give and spread.

So we are trading one of our few young quality D-men for a worse 32-year old and a mediocre bottom pairing guy, and then sign someone who has fallen off so much that not even Crosby produced with him to play with Matthews. Sounds great, where do I sign up?

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
So we are trading one of our few young quality D-men for a worse 32-year old and a mediocre bottom pairing guy, and then sign someone who has fallen off so much that not even Crosby produced with him to play with Matthews. Sounds great, where do I sign up?

You can sign on the dotted line:

I don't know what the fixation for Gardiner is, but in the ~40 games I've watched this season, he has not struck in my eyes as a d-man that can be counted on when the real games get going. He's a good skater and a decent puck mover, but he doesn't have a good shot and he's a freaking sock in the defensive end - we have enough of those. Garrison has a booming slap shot, and is a veteran d, which is valuable for guys like Rielly and Dermott. Sustr is #5, and a real physical threat, I don't see where the harm is. And the plus from Tampa could as well be our second back, which I'd be all for.

Kunitz might have fallen off a cliff, I've only seen a few penguin game this season and can't say that I know what he's situation is as of now, but I'll take you word for it. :)

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Bozak traded

Brown - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Komarov
Martin - Boyle - Soshnikov
-Leivo/Leipsic/Rychel/Gauthier (we have some really good forward depth)

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak
-Marchenko/Nielsen

Andersen

one77

Dec 22, 2013
To change things up a little bit:

JVR + Leipsic for Faulk (Carolina needs forwards. They are stacked on young dmen)
Bozak for anything

--------

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Brown - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Martin - Boyle - Rychel
-Leivo/Gauthier/Griffith

Rielly - Faulk
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak
-Carrick/Marchenko/Nielsen

Andersen

Last edited:

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
realistically i think similiar to this year:
Nylander mathieus hyman
Jvr bozak marner
Brown kadri leo
Martin goAt/boyle sosh
Leivo

Riely zaitsev
Gardiner marchenko/carrick
Hunlak

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
realistically i think similiar to this year:
Nylander mathieus hyman
Jvr bozak marner
Brown kadri leo
Martin goAt/boyle sosh
Leivo

Riely zaitsev
Gardiner marchenko/carrick
Hunlak

There's no chance that we don't make a single change in the offseason.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Komarov --- Kadri --- Marner
Leipsic --- Matthews --- Leivo
Kapanen --- Nylander --- Brown
Martin --- F.A.--- Soshnikov/Hyman

Rielly ---- ???
Gardiner ---- Zaitsev
Dermott ---- Carrick
Marincin/Marchenko

- I don't like Marner with Mathews unless it's the PP. Both carry the puck alot.

- Marner with Kadri and Leo make more sense. Kadri can battle and setup in low slot better than most of our players. Marner makes the whole line more dangerous than the Mathews line, and now teams need to careful on the match up. Match against the best player or best line. Nylander on third line should make a killing...

- Leipsic is a bit of a guess beside A.M., but on the right side you need a shooting righty with a great shot. Next to Nylander, Leivo has one of the better shots for wingers. Leivo will also go to the dirty areas.

- Soshnikov has done next to nothing for offense this year. I'd package him with JVR or Bozak, and let Marner take his PK spot. Marner was amazing in juniors, and he PK'd a couple times this year and was very good. Then let Hyman battle it out with a Marlie for the last spot.

- Doubt we address the 1st line D next year, but I can see Dermott in the last paring.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Brown - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Martin - Boyle - Hyman
-Leivo/Rychel/Leipsic

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Dermott - Polak
-Nielsen/Marchenko

Andersen

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Leivo - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Matthews - Brown
Komarov - Nylander - Kappy

Komarov's a teacher on this team, he said it best when describing Kadri's growth. He was a pain in Kadri's ass whenever Kadri made a mistake and that helped out Kadri a lot. I'd like to see him on a different line with the same role (teach Nylander/Kappy/Leipsic)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Leivo - Matthews - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier or FA - Soshnikov
Leiper

Don't think Boyle will re-sign here and honestly don't think we do much up front. I have a feeling neither JVR or Bozy are safe though. Bozy if for no other reason than Babcock's comments about Nylander at centre. JVR because we have a glut of talented wingers pushing for spots who will make a lot less.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
JVR is traded
Bozak stays

Hyman Mathews Nylander
Kapanen Bozak Marner
Komorov Kadri Brown
Martin Gauthier Soshnikov

Rielly ? ? ? ?
Gardiner Carrick
Dermott Zaitsev

Andersen
? ? ? ?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
JVR - Nylander - Marner
Brown - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Soshnikov
Komarov - Gauthier - Martin
Leivo

Rielly - UFA/Trade
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Marchenko

Andersen
McElhinney

Top 6:

Although I want Marner and Kapanen switch to see what Matthews and Marner can do I think they'll put Nylander in between the chemistry JVR and Marner have to ease him into playing center at this level it's the best way to shelter him. Matthews will hopefully get some play making help from Kapanen as he learns to be a pro. I prefer Brown over Hyman with Matthews because he has much better speed and finishing ability.

Bottom 6:

Hyman Kadri Sosh is a good shutdown line that are gritty and quick. The bottom line could be Goat or Boyle at center, I think they'll try and resign him but if not they're ok moving forward. Would like Gauthier to get a full time gig as he looked good in his window earlier. I know people have said Komarov at 4C but I just don't see that happening.

D-Core:

Clearly Zaitsev and Gardiner are a better pairing than Rielly with either. If we can grab a top 4 RHD to compliment Rielly we should have a pretty good group of Defenders.

Very Different.... I kinda Like though

Nylander and Kappanen have Chemistry from their AHL days and are very good friends off the ice

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Let's say JVR and Bozak get traded

Hyman Matthews Marner
Leipsic Nylander Kapanen
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin ??? Soshnikov

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner ???
Dermott Polak

Andersen
???

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I don't really care as long as Mitch Marner/Austin Matthews is on a line with Adam Brooks. Marner seems the better pairing with Brooks. Also I hope Korshkov makes the team. This team will be a monstrous powerhouse juggernaut next season. Adam Brooks will be a perfect addition to a high scoring puck possession system

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My thoughts with WHAT WE HAVE...

Jvr-Matthews-marner
Soshnikov-Nylander-Kapanen
hyman-kadri-brown
Komorov-boyle-martin

Rielly-carrick
Gardiner-marchenko
Hunwick/dermot?-zaitsev

Now id love to see ruck nash play LW on matthews line, prob get him for nothing maybe even with a pick. Jvr and gardiner and bozak for defence help(minnesota,anaheim,la defenders b4 expansion)...

Draft cale makar!!!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Leivo - Matthews - Marner
Komorov - Nylander - Kapanen
Shipachyov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Boyle/GOAT - Sosh / Hyman

Rielly - (____)
Gardiner- Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick / Marchenko

Anderson