Pre-Game Talk: Leafs in Ottawa, Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, 7 pm on CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm sure it's been said elsewhere but it bears repeating - no one wins in this league getting sub .900 goaltending. No way, no how. If you're getting sub .900 goaltending, you're a bottom five team, end of story, and recent history bears that out. Once our goaltenders are playing at an NHL average level (.914, IIRC) we can talk about fixing the rest of the problems, but not much else matters right now.

When you have a 3-1 lead in the third your goaltender simply HAS to shut the door and get you that win - no excuses. Every night now, he lets in at least one, often two complete stinkers. You can't win that way - it sucks the life out of your bench like freaking Dracula. Anderson is the worst starting goaltender in the NHL now, (42nd in save percentage) and it's not particularly close. (Condon is 44th.) He needs to decide if he wants to be a pro, or if he wants to retire. I would completely understand if he wanted to retire now given his family circumstances, but if he wants to keep playing then he needs to re-dedicate himself to his craft because right now he looks like a guy who has mentally checked out. (Mike Condon isn't earning his pay cheque either, but Condon is a garden variety backup. If Dorion fantasized that he could potentially be a starter, then he's even dumber than we thought.)

sub par goaltending negatively affects every aspect of a team's game other than the PP. We can go from one game to the next and say you can't blame Andy for that one and there may be some truth to that however add the season up and you cannot escape the numbers. They are terrible and they impact everything.

His play has dropped so much that imo it is not physical. has to be mental. I'd assume a physical drop off would be more gradual. From elit to average to below average to veteran backup is pretty standard....at least for guys that are elite. We can debate what he was but at worst he was a middle of the road starter and he's gone from that to shouldn't be in the league in one summer. So hopefully he can mentally recover. Maybe it was last year's extended run and his personal circumstances idk just guessing but he doesn't look right or confident to me at all

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
In the first round of the draft, you always take the best player available. Passing up Dahlin for a forward is like stepping over a $20 to pick up a $10 because you have no tens in your wallet.

You always take the best prospect available, according to internal and external scouting projections ........ which don't always work out to being the "Best Player" available, once they've played in the NHL.

For example.

1Alexandre DaigleCentre
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
Ottawa SenatorsVictoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
2Chris ProngerDefence
Canada
Hartford WhalersPeterborough Petes (OHL)
3Chris GrattonCentre
Canada
Tampa Bay LightningKingston Frontenacs (OHL)
4Paul KariyaLeft Wing
Canada
Mighty Ducks of AnaheimUniversity of Maine (Hockey East)
5Rob NiedermayerCentre
Canada
Florida PanthersMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
6Viktor KozlovLeft Wing
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
San Jose SharksDynamo Moscow (Russia)
7Jason ArnottCentre
Canada
Edmonton OilersOshawa Generals (OHL)
8Niklas SundstromLeft Wing
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
New York RangersMODO (Sweden)
9Todd HarveyCentre
Canada
Dallas StarsDetroit Junior Red Wings (OHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Boucher ain't making it past July, trust me.

I'll take that bet.

They've gone down the route of hire and fire in or after second season too many times ......... this time something else is going to happen if anything does.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You always take the best prospect available, according to internal and external scouting projections ........ which don't always work out to being the "Best Player" available, once they've played in the NHL.

For example.

Well not every scout was sold on daigle. Much like Yakupov (dangle had more hype)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thats a fair point about JGP, Hoffman, Stone, Boro and Ceci. They had only just established themselves as full time NHLers when MacLean was cut loose.

Just going down the list of NHL coaches these coaches are coaching their first team: Housley, Peters, Bednar, Bashill, Boughner, Hynes, Weight, Hakstol, Cooper, Green (10/31)
These goalies are coaching their second team: Tochett, Cassidy, Guletzen, McLellan, Stevens, Sullivan, Yeo, Boucher (8/31)

Hiring inexperienced coaches is hardly a new trend and for me its not the problem. MacLean, Cameron and Boucher have all initially had success. Why is it that these coaches have good seasons behind the bench but then its followed by a tire fire season?

Perhaps we should replace coaches every year!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A large contingent of Leaf fans in CTC actually drive from Pembroke, Petawawa, and places within/close to the region, but still distant enough that they have no affinity for this city or the franchise. Their kids and grandkids are Leaf fans as well.

They drink and take over. Sens fans are mostly Ottawa folks, and we are conditioned to be extra nice.

Been to a number of Leafs vs Sens games over the years, but stopped because the atmosphere sucks, and if I were offered free tickets, I'd still not attend, I'd pass on the tickets to someone who wanted them.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Been to a number of Leafs vs Sens games over the years, but stopped because the atmosphere sucks, and if I were offered free tickets, I'd still not attend, I'd pass on the tickets to someone who wanted them.
This is the issue. Too many fans pass up on the chance to take back home ice. It's pathetic that I even have to say the last sentence when it comes to Ottawa and home ice.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I heard differently dog. What of it.

Just telling you what they were saying this morning on tsn 1200 ......... it did not happen during last night's game for sure .......... as some "fans" seemed to think, earlier in this thread.

So, Kitty Kat, it was sometime between the Blues game and Saturday.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is the issue. Too many fans pass up on the chance to take back home ice. It's pathetic that I even have to say the last sentence when it comes to Ottawa and home ice.

There should be some way that Season Ticket holders could be allowed to buy up to 10? extra tickets each, for Leaf games, at their Season Ticket rates, and allow them to re-sell them at face value, in the Ottawa Market.

It is one main reason a lot of fans, like me will not go to Leafs games, in Ottawa, and yes that makes the problem worse.

Reactions: 7even

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just telling you what they were saying this morning on tsn 1200 ......... it did not happen during last night's game for sure .......... as some "fans" seemed to think, earlier in this thread.

So, Kitty Kat, it was sometime between the Blues game and Saturday.
I heard two rumors. One was before the leafs game. L’autre was second intermission. Or maaaybe. The report came out during the second intermission. Hmm. Maybe there were multiple confrontations.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There is a big difference in todays game and the game when Mike Keenan was coaching. Also, Keenan had ONE guy, Boucher has 3 pets. Having 3 pets is way worse than only having one

Those three players don’t make or break our team. Last year only Pyatt was here. This year we have Thompson and Dumont. Dumont isn’t an nhl player, but Pyatt is fine and I think Thompson is allright too.

As for your first point about today’s game being different, that’s irrelevant. Coaches still like guys they’re familiar with. It will always be that way whether people like it or not.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There should be some way that Season Ticket holders could be allowed to buy up to 10? extra tickets each, for Leaf games, at their Season Ticket rates, and allow them to re-sell them at face value, in the Ottawa Market.

It is one main reason a lot of fans, like me will not go to Leafs games, in Ottawa, and yes that makes the problem worse.
At some point the fans should take onus and not crawl and hide. It was disgusting seeing how many playoff tickets were purchased when Toronto was winning that regular season game that would've made a round 1 matchup. After they lost the majority of those tickets were up for resale. I'm talking about in the thousands.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
A large contingent of Leaf fans in CTC actually drive from Pembroke, Petawawa, and places within/close to the region, but still distant enough that they have no affinity for this city or the franchise. Their kids and grandkids are Leaf fans as well.

They drink and take over. Sens fans are mostly Ottawa folks, and we are conditioned to be extra nice.

Ottawa-based Leafs fans only have a few games in Ottawa to attend. We have 41ish. If we played 41 times in a season, sens fans would own 80% of that building on any given game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad