TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't see the Leafs need for Vatanen to be honest. I'd rather see them trade for Montour.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I disagree respectfully. The Pens won the Stantly Cup without legit D but that doesn't mean they didn't plan for it. They had Letang part of the plan, it just happens he got injured and he managed to without him. Nashville outplayed Pitts in a lot of games, Pens had a lot of things just going for them. Even Pens fans will agree they cannot win with the same squad.

I am not suggesting Leafs are desperate. I think they should be. Considering what's available this summer. I think people think if we trade for Vantanen, we are trading the farm. Let's not forget, hes' 25 years old. He isn't some UFA who's 31+ and we are trading on the deadline. He's 25, has 3 more years of a solid contract, can skate and QB a PP. If you are not trading a Kapanen or a Brown for a D like that, who are you trading them for? Brown and Kapy aren't getting you a Karlsson

Too much is made on potentional. Brown can easily turn into a very good player who can score and play defensively. He can also turn into next Wojtek Wolski or Peter Mueller( Although he had concussion problems ). There were a lot of rookies scored 20 goals in their rookie season and only to disappear.

At least you know what you are getting with Vantanen

I know what you are getting with Vatanen, my concern is what are we giving. How much other strength are we losing for one spot?
Keep in mind, the Leafs do not have the required proven depth at this point.
There is no player really to replace Vatanen while he is out of the lineup or to replace what will be traded.
The organization still needs depth at all positions, to be a regular season playoff contender.
Again, yes to Vatanen price dependant.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Do Toronto really know what they are getting with Vats?
I'd like to see how he plays after his major surgery before I deal anything close to 1st++ for him.

Good player, bad fit. Therefore Leafs only interested if they can get him on the cheap. I wouldn't be willing to deal a 1st for him. Much rather let Hunter work his magic at this point in the rebuild.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't get all the Ducks fans talking about a "bidding war" on Vatanen.
With the following defenseman apparently available, I think the first one or two off the board will get the best prices and a few teams are going to get suck without a chair when the music stops.

Hammer
Tanev
Brodin
Dumba
Vataten
Hamonic
Seabrook
CDH

That's a lot of options for the buyers and how many teams have an open protection spot for a top-4 defenseman?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
With the following defenseman apparently available, I think the first one or two off the board will get the best prices and a few teams are going to get suck without a chair when the music stops.

Hammer
Tanev
Brodin
Dumba
Vataten
Hamonic
Seabrook
CDH

That's a lot of options for the buyers and how many teams have an open protection spot for a top-4 defenseman?

Ducks fans aren't saying that, they're quoting Dreger, McKenzie, Friedman, Lebrun etc. Take it up with them I guess....

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ducks fans aren't saying that, they're quoting Dreger, McKenzie, Friedman, Lebrun etc. Take it up with them I guess....

It's not just Ducks fans talking about that. Basically every reputable source in the league is reporting as much.

Fair enough. Apologies for tacking that on Ducks fans.
Does seem odd that it's being reported as such, considering the supposed availability of a lot of quality Dmen.
I suppose he's probably the top offensive defenseman from that group, if that's what a team is looking for.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Hammer
Tanev
Brodin
Dumba
Vataten
Hamonic
Seabrook
CDH

That list is a bit misleading.
> The Wild isn't trading both Dumba and Brodin... in the same vein no way NYI lets go of both Dehaan and Hamonic.

>No one in their right mind is taking on that Seabrook contract under any circumstances

> Tanev may be available, but rumor has it the ask is huge so not for everyone there

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Kiwi, stop giving Ducks fans false hope.

We aren't trading Kasperi Kapanen and a 1st for an injured Sami Vatanen.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
With ducks making a deal with Vegas it makes me doubt leafs are in on vatanen anymore. made too much sense for that trade to happen pre expansion on the leafs end.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
With ducks making a deal with Vegas it makes me doubt leafs are in on vatanen anymore. made too much sense for that trade to happen pre expansion on the leafs end.

I thought most of the leaf fans didn't like the trade because they woulda had to expose carrick, wouldn't it make more sense for the leafs to do it now?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

We don't know what that deal is and if it is Vats, we don't know if e will gt flipped again.

Vegas is going to flip guys they aren't keeping everybody

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Trading Kapanen would be a bad idea. He's going to be a 1st line winger. They'll probably look back a year or two from now if they do and say whoops, even if they have some impressive runs themselves in that time. The Leafs have a lot of young wingers, but none with Kapanen's upside. JVR could walk in a year. He seems to have some chemistry with Willy Nylander as well on and off the ice.

They should try for Tanev or Hamonic. They both have 3 years left at affordable money and they fit the mold of what the Leafs are looking for best. Vatanen would be a decent back-up plan. The cost given his season, injury and fit in comparison to the other options would be hard to place.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I thought most of the leaf fans didn't like the trade because they woulda had to expose carrick, wouldn't it make more sense for the leafs to do it now?

We would not have to expose carrick. Wed go 4-4-1. Zaitsev is exempt, all the rookies are exempt. Protect Gardiner, Reilly, Carrick, and vats. Easy

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's got to be on the market first
Is anyone sure that he's definitely dealing Vatanen? Since he doesn't have to any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->