Leafs ECHL team "Newfoundland Growlers" - Ryane Clowe named head coach

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Seems like everyone is trying to get a little bit of the Vegas magic with the colour scheme.

Not going to lie, I wouldn't have minded keeping the colour scheme all the way through all three systems, but it's pretty good.

I also liked the Orlando Solar Bears colour scheme. It was so funky, which is nice for that level.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm from Newfoundland and have been to many ice caps games so this is kinda cool that there's a Leafs affiliation team here now, even if it's a step down and essentially all the good prospects won't ever come here.

The logo looks more like a St. Bernard than a Newfoundland dog to me though.

90b6e0d1319547972e189822931fbd87.jpg

Reactions: Liminality

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
nice logo

but wouldn't it be easier to attract players to play in Florida during the winter than the rock ?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
nice logo

but wouldn't it be easier to attract players to play in Florida during the winter than the rock ?

ECHL teams are really transitioning to being development teams as opposed to free agent dependent. Drafted prospects are playing bigger roles.

And its the ECHL. Theres always going to be someone who wants to make money playing hockey

Reactions: Menzinger

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Feels weird that they're using golden knight colours and jerseys, but it's ECHL, so I guess who cares?

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Feels weird that they're using golden knight colours and jerseys, but it's ECHL, so I guess who cares?
There's only so many colours to go around and Gold is the only colour that's similar between the two. I mean the Lightning are basically using an almost exact rip off of the Leafs colours AND jersey design AND they're both in the same league. Vegas never crossed my mind at all when I seen the Growlers logo.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

I guess the trouble is that the Vega Gold of the Vegas Strip that the Golden Knights use looks a lot more like Dark Khaki that the Growlers are using than it does most other varieties of actual gold or most colors that are called 'Gold'. On a strict RGB scale, the VGK gold is 197, 179, 88. That's a lot of blue in there, more than most varieties of gold color. Whereas the Growlers khaki is 174, 152, 105 and is a lot lighter in tone. They'd look fairly different side by side.

Last edited:

Tiggaracing

Mar 2, 2014
So we have 2 ECHL teams now?

Plenty of spots to put prospects if we do ... sucks if a Growler crushes a Solar Bear and hurts him though -_-

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'm disappointed the Brampton Beast are associated with MTL and not Toronto.
I'd much prefer that to some east coast team.
Lost opportunity for a grassroots GTA initiative.

Growler

May 16, 2018
The Leafs attract players to play for the ECHL?

ECHL is mostly Marlies cast-offs and never-will-be's. They'll take a job wherever they can. Geography doesn't play a part.
Like Marchment and Kaskisou who both earned their first and second Leaf contracts respectively recently? Might hear more from Dzierkals and Pospisil too soon. Holl and Sparks also played time in the ECHL.

More than 30 players in the last year earned NHL Contracts following playing on AHL contracts; often a portion of their development was served in the ECHL. That's roughly 10% of AHL contracts. Of those ~30 players there are already more than 100 NHL games played.

Under Dubas, more AHL contracts have been given than any other NHL franchise (31) in the last 2 years. Second on that list are the Islanders with 26. The Islanders have parlayed 4 of those into NHL contracts already. So far, Toronto has awarded just one, Mason Marchment, but again we might learn new information about Dzierkals and Pospisil soon because their rights end this week. 12 of the 14 Marlie contracted players this year played on the Solar Bears at some point. When you have a strong AA and AAA farm system, it can help erase drafting mistakes. For example, it could be argued that Marchment took Middleton's ELC. Marchment played a full season in the ECHL.

Gilman was about to be hired as the new ECHL commissioner at a time when their new CBA was about to be negotiated. I think you will only see the Leafs leverage the ECHL more with this new relationship.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs attract players to play for the ECHL?

ECHL is mostly Marlies cast-offs and never-will-be's. They'll take a job wherever they can. Geography doesn't play a part.
When you are making a pittance salary, cost of living will be a consideration for the Player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad