Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #18

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Morgan Rielly - 92.86%
2. Frederik Gauthier - 32.39%
3. Matt Finn - 43.32%
4. Joe Colborne - 65.44%
5. Tyler Biggs - 31.91%
6. Stuart Percy - 42.50%
7. Josh Leivo - 50.00%
8. Petter Granberg - 49.33%
9. Jesse Blacker - 25.78%
10. Jerry D'Amigo - 31.68%
11. Carter Ashton - 56.72%
12. Greg McKegg - 24.24%
13. Brad Ross - 24.21%
14. Dominic Toninato - 23.42%
15. Tom Nilsson - 24.81%
16. Garret Sparks - 26.47%
17. Carter Verhaeghe - 28.74%

Tony Cameranesi
Spencer Abbott
Kenny Ryan
Viktor Loov
Andrew Crescenzi
Kevin Marshall
Fabrice Herzog
David Broll
Ryan Rupert
Jamie Devane
Andrew MacWilliam
Sam Carrick
Eric Knodel
Connor Brown
Antoine Bibeau

Max Everson
Dennis Robertson
Andreas Johnson
Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #2 - Tie Breaker
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17

Suggest who I should add next :)

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I can't believe Spencer Abbott hasn't been picked. PPG in the AHL playoffs, just turned 25. Was one of our only scoring threats down the stretch, and posted numbers in college that our other prospects could only dream of.

At this point you gotta vote upside and I can't see any other of our prospect making a case over him. If he plays top 6 (maybe even first line) I expect 60+ points(In the AHL).

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I can't believe Spencer Abbott hasn't been picked. PPG in the AHL playoffs, just turned 25. Was one of our only scoring threats down the stretch, and posted numbers in college that our other prospects could only dream of.

At this point you gotta vote upside and I can't see any other of our prospect making a case over him. If he plays top 6 (maybe even first line) I expect 60+ points(In the AHL).

A 25 year old undrafted 5 foot 9 player who shies away from contact (who will be 26 years old at the end of next season) and scores 60 points in the AHL. How exciting.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
A 25 year old undrafted 5 foot 9 player who shies away from contact (who will be 26 years old at the end of next season) and scores 60 points in the AHL. How exciting.

I like how people use age as a problem but claim Frattin still has upside, even though he's older.

Oh no, undrafted. How dare teams not be able to see the future of a kid at the age of 20. Let's ignore how talented he is now and vote Broll because he can skate and play hockey better than your typical goon.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Seems like there's a chance Cameranesi doesn't make it into the top 20. Had a pretty good season stats wise, with 0.9 PPG in his first NCAA season and tied for the lead in points on his team

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I like how people use age as a problem but claim Frattin still has upside, even though he's older.

Oh no, undrafted. How dare teams not be able to see the future of a kid at the age of 20. Let's ignore how talented he is now and vote Broll because he can skate and play hockey better than your typical goon.

Less than 4 months older. He's also got 3 inches, 30 lbs, and 82 games of NHL experience under his belt vs. Abbott's zero.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance to make the NHL eventually, just that at this point his ceiling seems pretty limited.

Jacob8hockey*

I personally see some upside in Broll.

And wow, after looking through this list I feel pretty confident that eventually someone is going to exceed expectations and become a star player. One day.

Leafs For Life*

Why is a 4th liner winning over 2nd line potential players?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why is a 4th liner winning over 2nd line potential players?

I think Broll has progressed very well in his development that he is more likely to be a NHLer, and at that a very good 4th liner with upside of a 3rd line checker

To be that's better than a prospect with an outside shot of being a decent second liner

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Less than 4 months older. He's also got 3 inches, 30 lbs, and 82 games of NHL experience under his belt vs. Abbott's zero.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance to make the NHL eventually, just that at this point his ceiling seems pretty limited.

The point is people act as if Abbott can't get better. That was his first full pro season and he was our best offensive player outside of Mckegg and Scott for most of it.

I'm not saying he's going to be a pro, but look at his past. He gets better every year at every level he plays at. I don't see why people are picking kids with lower upside than him, or basing their opinion on the fact that he was undrafted. Especially with HF infatuation with boom or bust prospects, which Abbott is the definition of.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The point is people act as if Abbott can't get better. That was his first full pro season and he was our best offensive player outside of Mckegg and Scott for most of it.

I'm not saying he's going to be a pro, but look at his past. He gets better every year at every level he plays at. I don't see why people are picking kids with lower upside than him, or basing their opinion on the fact that he was undrafted. Especially with HF infatuation with boom or bust prospects, which Abbott is the definition of.

I love Abbott's potential as a late bloomer .. He's next up on my list IMO ... Would love to see him get a shot as a second line or third line winger ... He might look good alongside Colborne

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009

I need to agree with you man. Brown, Cameranesi, and Abbott were the next three on my list in no particular order, though I did just vote for Brown.

For me, these three guys have a way higher potential than Broll, and haven't shown anything to say they're not going to end up as a more useful player than him.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

I'm with you on this. I'd have had him much, much, higher. But as i wrote in a previous post, i went to a Marlies play-off game this past spring and there were .. maybe 1,000 people in the stands. Add to this that Marlies games are not watchable unless you
A) Subscribe to leafs TV and see a select few
B) Pay $7 a game on AHL LIve
C) Use hockey streams
D) Pay $10 and go see a game live

(I watch almost every game)

So my guess is few here or anywhere have seen Spencer play. That might extend to a lot of other Marlies for the same reasons... unfortunately. If they had he'd have been competing for the top 10 easy. He's not really a name people would otherwise recognize unless they saw him.

For example, how much attention did Leo Komarov get last off-season? Next to none.
Yet anyone who bothered to follow the Marlies during the lockout would have seen this guy putting up a PPG and wrecking opposing players all over the ice.

It's tough to say how Spencer's play will translate to the NHL imo.. but i'm thinking he will be high on the injury call-up list this year. Chances are he plays at least a game in the NHL before seasons end..

And he won't even crack the top-20 prospects.. -_-

Last edited:

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
Are we going to toss Gibson into the next one? Or have a poll to decide if he should fit in higher up?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Are we going to toss Gibson into the next one? Or have a poll to decide if he should fit in higher up?

Seeing as Sparks went 16th and Gibson apparently being lower on the depth chart than him, I don't think we need to have a poll to see if he goes higher but it's up to Schenner.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Anyone get a look at Andrew MacWilliam when he got a couple games in with the Marlies? This guy looks like a real dark-horse prospect. Kinda got lost in the shuffle when the organization let him develop while studying in University. He's a gritty stay-at-home guy who'll finally get showcased at the pro level. I'm just curious what his skating is like and how that grit is transferring over to the men's pro game because he seems like he could be a real good one, in the mould of Brooks Orpik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad