Leafs biggest issue... Fan expectations set by the team

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I agree. You can't play the "young team is learning card" when they played much better agains the president's trophy winning team last year.

It is interesting. It’s like there has been a philosophy shift or something.

Matt Martin and Boyle played all 6 games against Washington. Martin sits. Boyle (though I don’t like the rental) clearly brought more jam to the table than Plekanec does.

And we get pushed around by the Bruins.

Coincidence?

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
My expectation was that the team would attempt to do more than ice the puck nonstop for half the game. My expectation was the team would show up.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's concerning that they look worse in the playoffs this year than they did against Washington, like they're less experienced now than before.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Losing a tight fought series and blaming it on 'youth' and 'bad match up' is a reasonable response.

But we're not just "losing". We're being utterly outclassed and dominated in each and every way. With what we're watching, you don't say "Our foundation can learn from this." No. You question if your foundation will ever have what it takes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The core is set but the next challenges are to lock them in at workable contracts and then try and fill out the supporting cast with the right mix of support and keep beefing up the blueline.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Six of the eight series are currently 2-0. In tough, but certainly not alone. I'd hoped to be knotted 1-1 going back to Toronto, but that didn't happen. Have to win both games at our rink just as Boston did theirs. Difficult, but not impossible, task.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The 2006- 2011 San Jose Sharks had a core that was exceptional in the regular season but just wasn't made for the playoffs.

I'll bet that first year they were completely outclassed in the playoffs, there were some fans blaming it on "unrealistic fan expectations."

But...

There were also some fans that began to get worried that this core just isn't right for the playoffs. Those fans were probably ridiculed and mocked by the "diehards" when they pointed out their worries. But they ended up being right.

Many of us are in that "worried" phase right now. These things DO happen, and the Sharks are an example. But Matthews and Nylander have been shameful human beings so far. They might not just be made for this. That's not a "fact" right now. But it's a legitimate worry.

Icing on the cake?

Our expensive seasoned Vet that's supposed to guide these kids was the captain of all those choking Sharks teams.

Reactions: dsred and Pookie

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sorry. This is a Leaf team that can beat anyone.

Stop with the madness man. Just stop.

How much more evidence do people need that there's a massive gulf in quality between the Leafs and true contenders?

Why is it so hard for fans to just objectively look at the obvious?

Reactions: egd27

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Except these are expectations laid out by management. A rebuilding team doesn’t sign a 38 year old to a 3 year contract worth $18 million. A rebuilding team doesn’t keep their expiring UFAs for nothing. A rebuilding team doesn’t go out an trade a second round pick for a 4th liner. These are all moves made by people who think the Leafs have a shot at the cup. Judging by the actions (and inactions) that the Leafs management has made over the last year, is it really wrong for fans to expect the Leafs to win a playoff round?

Reactions: dsred

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The 2006- 2011 San Jose Sharks had a core that was exceptional in the regular season but just wasn't made for the playoffs.

I'll bet that first year they were completely outclassed in the playoffs, there were some fans blaming it on "unrealistic fan expectations."

But...

There were also some fans that began to get worried that this core just isn't right for the playoffs. Those fans were probably ridiculed and mocked by the "diehards" when they pointed out their worries. But they ended up being right.

Many of us are in that "worried" phase right now. These things DO happen, and the Sharks are an example. But Matthews and Nylander have been shameful human beings so far. They might not just be made for this. That's not a "fact" right now. But it's a legitimate worry.

Icing on the cake?

Our expensive seasoned Vet that's supposed to guide these kids was the captain of all those choking Sharks teams.

The Sharks and Capitals are good examples of the wrong core mix that can't handle the playoffs, and you're right, you don't want to waste 15 years going into battle with a couple of duds. But two games on the road in year two of the rebuild is too early to decide.

Though having Marleau around as a playoff mentor does look sort of questionable when you think about his track record with San Jose.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah they are losing because I have high expectations. Don’t worry, I called Babcock and lowered my expectation. They should do well now!

If they wanted my expectations lower, well they are in luck, I have officially lowered my expectations :laugh:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don't mind losing and I even had our team losing this series from the beginning, but what we are watching is far from a satisfying losses. It seems like they don't even compete till the game is gone too far out of their hands.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Guys honestly, I just think we are up against a very, very good hockey team. And we have played 2 games in their building and are trying to dissect the results, breakdown our own team, question everything, etc etc etc.

Boston is doing to us what they have done to the rest of the NHL since the second half of the season. They are playing at a level we have not been able to match thus far and have gotten all the breaks to boot so it looks worse than it is.

This Bruins team can get to the final I believe that. The bookies have Boston for a reason. I think we can win but our young guys are certainly looking young and losing battles all over the ice.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind some tough playoff battles leading to lessons learned (see Washington last year) but this has been an embarrassment so far.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I love the Leafs and I have a lot of time for players who want to play the game the right way. Babcock has mentioned it so many times and gets attacked on here daily and blamed but yet he has been 100% correct in his assessment of our cutiepies sitting them for willing players late in games we are leading as he wants hockey players on the ice late in games players willing to take a check.

Drew Daughty said in early in the season we except losing far to easy to be a good team and it is not skill we lack but a willingness to play to win.

End of rant,

I remember that Doughty quote. Not sure what he said word for word but I think it was that we're too easy to play against. What can I say, so far it looks like he was right, more right than probably any one of would have thought. Didn't lose by 4 goals all season, now we're doing it every game.

Oh well, let's see how we do at home. Hopefully it's better, we really need to salvage some self-respect or it's gonna be a long summer followed by a long season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Guys honestly, I just think we are up against a very, very good hockey team. And we have played 2 games in their building and are trying to dissect the results, breakdown our own team, question everything, etc etc etc.

Boston is doing to us what they have done to the rest of the NHL since the second half of the season. They are playing at a level we have not been able to match thus far and have gotten all the breaks to boot so it looks worse than it is.

This Bruins team can get to the final I believe that. The bookies have Boston for a reason.
I think we can win but our young guys are certainly looking young and losing battles all over the ice.

The bookies had Boston at about 7-5 favourites. So far we're not looking like a team that's 40% to win, more like 10%.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Fan expectations should’ve went out the window at the deadline. They added zero grit and zero dmen. The 2 biggest weaknesses on the team by a country mile, and management does absolutely nothing to address either one. Ineptitude at its highest level.

This team could’ve competed if they made the appropriate moves at the deadline!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't agree. But I do think there is something to be said for trusting young, inexperienced players in key roles. NHL is a young man's game now, more than ever.

Bergeron & Marchand may disagree with you a little.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well to go to both extremes. Some fans will see the Arenas game and peg us as a dynasty with 4 Cups on the horizon. Some fans will meltdown after a loss, list who is "trash" and mention how they need to be launched into space. (Those same fans also hide in their panties when those players rebound).

So if you had extreme expectations, you will usually be severely disappointed.

If you had regular expectations, you'd know that yes, these first two games should not have happened, but their odds to win the series weren't all that high either.

Also know that when you use the phrase "We are capable of beating anyone in the league", remember that we are also capable of losing to anyone in the league. I think people sometimes get lost in that fact. This isn't the NBA.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
It is interesting. It’s like there has been a philosophy shift or something.

Matt Martin and Boyle played all 6 games against Washington. Martin sits. Boyle (though I don’t like the rental) clearly brought more jam to the table than Plekanec does.

And we get pushed around by the Bruins.

Coincidence?
When you understand this is a coach that disrespects players, when he is challenged concerning things said to players he will healthy scratch any player that stands up to him...even at the teams expense. The exit train is coming..many players have already been abused when they have challenged this coach..do you forget that easily?
Toronto will not be a destination Fa's will look at...TO has already lost players due to coaching.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Six of the eight series are currently 2-0. In tough, but certainly not alone. I'd hoped to be knotted 1-1 going back to Toronto, but that didn't happen. Have to win both games at our rink just as Boston did theirs. Difficult, but not impossible, task.

Yeah it's definitely not over yet. It doesn't look good but ... it is not over. So many people seem to want autopsy results already, I'd rather wait until it's actually over and see is we did in fact lose first.

Reactions: Buds17

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017

This Bruins team can get to the final I believe that. The bookies have Boston for a reason. I think we can win but our young guys are certainly looking young and losing battles all over the ice.

The funny thing is that I don’t think Boston is that good. I am not impressed by their forward depth, their defense isn’t anything to write home about. It is adequate, not great. They look like they are skating in quick sand often.

The Leafs are just too soft to compete. Their players are not willing to pay the price and the management have no clue what playoff hockey is about. It’s like they are trying to reinvent the wheel and prove that they can win with the softest team ever assembled.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Imagine the Bruins had Komarov on their team. And imagine they had an injury and decided to put Komarov on their top line with Bergeron. Now imagine seeing Komarov on the Bruins powerplay.

Would you smile?
Would you feel better about our chances?
Yes, you would.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When you understand this is a coach that disrespects players, when he is challenged concerning things said to players he will healthy scratch any player that stands up to him...even at the teams expense. The exit train is coming..many players have already been abused when they have challenged this coach..do you forget that easily?
Toronto will not be a destination Fa's will look at...TO has already lost players due to coaching.

Don't disagree. They also lost players to Robidas island treatment with a few nixing deals.

My point was about toughness in playing tall in your skates.

Marner said losing Kadri was like losing a "protector" out there. Just shows you were the mindset is. First, if Kadri is a "protector"... wow. We are in trouble. You can't have your 2C playing that role... particularly one that is prone to the press box.

Secondly, it shows that "role" is important for a team. I don't mean goon. I mean a Wilson or a Clutterbuck or something.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I think until the series is over, that's the time where you can draw conclusions and evaluations. People are just venting and overreacting at this very moment. This fanbase is very good at reacting to the moment.

I'm interested to see how they act on home ice, that might be their final test for the season and they got to show what they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad