Official WJC Discussion Thread - now featuring 3 Leafs (Lily; Woll; Rasanen)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pretty weak year for us. Rasanan will probably be the 6-7th dman, and Woll will probably be 2nd/3rd string with the bad year he's having.

Rasanen is only gonna be a bottom pairing dman because they have Heiskanen,Juolevi, Valimaki,Vaakainen etc

Liljegren has often looked like the marlies best dman. nothing wrong with that.

leafs arent sending a lot of guys this year, but that usually happens when A) you have young guys that stepped right into the NHL and b) you start to be a more competitive team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Liljegren is the only one you can really count on to have a big role, but he's going to put on a show. Woll also might win the starting position for USA but you never know. Rasanen will be a depth defenseman at best. Not our best showing but we get to watch our top young talent play in the NHL so it's fine

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Did Rasanen actually make the team?

He was one of 8 or 9 dmen named to the team, but their roster has ~30 players so there will be some cuts coming. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rasanen was one of the cuts, simply because he's 18 in a 19 year old tournament.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He was one of 8 or 9 dmen named to the team, but their roster has ~30 players so there will be some cuts coming. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rasanen was one of the cuts, simply because he's 18 in a 19 year old tournament.

Yeah, last I heard he was in tough, so was surprised when several posters mentioned he was on the team.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
not wjc, but 2017 7th round pick ryan o'connell is playing for canada west in the wjac happening right now

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Finland have 5-7 really quality defencemen but the competition after that isn't that strong. I'd be pretty shocked in they 7 D they ended up going with weren't Heiskanen, Juolevi, Valimaki, Jokiharju, Vaakanainen, Salo and Rasanen. I suppose Rasanen could have a bad camp and one of the other 2 guys(probably Kotkansalo) has a great camp and he doesn't make it but despite Finland's abundance of great D it'll more be a blocking Rasanen from having a big role on the team than a preventing him from making the team I would think.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Leafs really only have one prospect that will be getting decent minutes, and Team Canada is lacking legit superstar prospects (relatively speaking - no Tavares, Doughty, Stamkos, McDavid, Hall, etc calibre guys going I don't think).

I probably won't be paying as much attention this year as I normally do.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rasanen is only gonna be a bottom pairing dman because they have Heiskanen,Juolevi, Valimaki,Vaakainen etc

Liljegren has often looked like the marlies best dman. nothing wrong with that.

leafs arent sending a lot of guys this year, but that usually happens when A) you have young guys that stepped right into the NHL and b) you start to be a more competitive team.

There is a 3rd & main reason C) your amateur scouting is not finding talent beyond the 1st round of the draft and your drafting strategies.

Hunter has been drafting overagers (players passed over in previous drafts and already 19-20 at draft time making them ineligible for WJC and U-19 tournaments.

Case in point Yegor Korshkov taken with a 2nd round pick #31 overall in 2016 but already too old to play in the tournament and playing the KHL.

Players drafted after Korshkov like #35 Jordan Kyrou (ST Louis), #49 Carter Hart (Philly) and #51 Kale Clegue (LA) are 3 examples on Team Canada alone who are likely going to be Canada's #1 forward, #1 goalie and potentially best Dman in this tournament.

Then you have winning NOW strategies by Leafs where they trade 1st #30 OA (Sam Steel) WHL player of the year and scoring sensation and 2nd rounder #50 (Maxime Comtois) to Anaheim for Freddy Andersen. Sam Steel (66 games 50-81-131 points) will be a big part of team Canada and both the picks surrendered are on team Canada this WJC.

So Leafs drafting and dealing away of high picks is at the root of lack of representation by Leafs in this tournament.

Keep an eye on these players above that Leafs passed on or picks traded away that will be stars for Team Canada this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeBird

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There is a 3rd & main reason C) your amateur scouting is not finding talent beyond the 1st round of the draft and your drafting strategies.

Hunter has been drafting overagers (players passed over in previous drafts and already 19-20 at draft time making them ineligible for WJC and U-19 tournaments.

Case in point Yegor Korshkov taken with a 2nd round pick #31 overall in 2016 but already too old to play in the tournament and playing the KHL.

Players drafted after Korshkov like #35 Jordan Kyrou (ST Louis), #49 Carter Hart (Philly) and #51 Kale Clegue (LA) are 3 examples on Team Canada alone who are likely going to be Canada's #1 forward, #1 goalie and potentially best Dman in this tournament.

Then you have winning NOW strategies by Leafs where they trade 1st #30 OA (Sam Steel) WHL player of the year and scoring sensation and 2nd rounder #50 (Maxime Comtois) to Anaheim for Freddy Andersen. Sam Steel (66 games 50-81-131 points) will be a big part of team Canada and both the picks surrendered are on team Canada this WJC.

So Leafs drafting and dealing away of high picks is at the root of lack of representation by Leafs in this tournament.

Keep an eye on these players above that Leafs passed on or picks traded away that will be stars for Team Canada this tournament.

it is also the root of why we are 5th overall in the league, I think I may speak for quite a few here in that the leafs being contenders is better than Sam Steele and his 131 jnr points or literally every other player you listed who may play in a junior tournament that lasts 2 weeks

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

I heard he may make the team because he's one of the only physical defenders they have, may play a bigger role than people think.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

This post seems to deceptively make digs at the Leafs management, plenty of players "star" for team Canada and others and do very little in the NHL. Sam Steel was passed over quite a bit and no I wouldn't not do the Freddy Anderson deal because of him scoring in junior.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Picking Greenway a full round before Mete was something I knew would be such a mistake.

Then to make it even worst, they picked him before our Middleton pick.

Ouch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad