Leafs at the World Championships

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Mitch needs to get a bit stronger / bigger. Luckily for him, he has the perfect example of how to put on muscle in front of him in Willy.

Look how strong Willy is on the puck and how he almost never gives it up in corners. Imagine Mitch with that sort of strength.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Mitch needs to get a bit stronger / bigger. Luckily for him, he has the perfect example of how to put on muscle in front of him in Willy.

Look how strong Willy is on the puck and how he almost never gives it up in corners. Imagine Mitch with that sort of strength.

willy was ripped before he was drafted tho

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't think we have to worry that much about Marner. He'll definitely work on improving his strength and with time that will keep growing. Though he showed last year that he isn't a pushover. Didn't we have plenty of pre-season videos of him even out-muscling Matthews in puck battles?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I don't think we have to worry that much about Marner. He'll definitely work on improving his strength and with time that will keep growing. Though he showed last year that he isn't a pushover. Didn't we have plenty of pre-season videos of him even out-muscling Matthews in puck battles?

I dont think anyone is worried.

He played 77 NHL games this year, the injury that kept him out of the lineup could happen to anyone, and he contributed big time.

I think everyone just knows its his move obvious area of improvement (above his shot). He can absolutely be a top 5-10 scorer in the NHL, but to do so, he will have to become more dominant with the puck, kind of like Willy is.

His vision is maybe a tier above Willy's (who is also good), and is work rate is definitely higher - if he had the strength to match, he would be an absolute beast

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Are people really still concerned about his size/strength? He just spent a year proving he can play regardless, and he just turned 20 so obviously he'll pack on a few more man-pounds.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Are people really still concerned about his size/strength? He just spent a year proving he can play regardless, and he just turned 20 so obviously he'll pack on a few more man-pounds.

No kidding. People need to look at a guy like Kane, hes not pushing people around and never has and hes been elite for years. Fans need to stop and think about what got a player like Marner as far as he's gotten. He's done it with his IQ and by being elusive. He's never going to be a heavy contact player.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Eh, Nylander had a good build before he was drafted, just needed to get a bit bigger.

Also, genetics play a large part..Swedes have great physical attributes and are often quite strong and easily put on muscle. Genetically, I just don't think Marner will ever be that strong or have much muscle...and honestly that's fine, as long as he can have just enough strength to manage against most opponents while remaining slippery, like Patrick Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->